2020 Muskies Caught

fly_flinger

fly_flinger

Since this is my current favorite fish to chase, I'm starting the 2020 Musky Catch Thread.

Myself and Govtmule got out last Friday and each got healthy 36" fish within about 25 minutes of each other. Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 1.24.20 Musky.jpg
    1.24.20 Musky.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 10
Sweet. What it take?

acristickid wrote:
Sweet. What it take?

A well presented fly... yuk yuk

It was a self-concocted fly pattern that I tie using a couple different designs. This one was an all white, 10 inch or so, bait fish pattern. Govtmule's fish also took a white fly I believe. The old saying " Bright flies on bright days" was true last Friday.

I am still waiting for my 2019 musky . . .

The drought continues.

Got a 34 on January 4 on a 4/0 Swim Jimmy

Attachments

• M7.JPG
    M7.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 5
Both Nockamixon and Marsh Creek Lakes should be producing good numbers of fish like those as well as specimens in Marsh Creek Lake up to 50 inches and ones in Nockamixon to at least 44 inches. In both cases the pure muskellunge have their origin in Wisconsin, having been purchased for a number of years by Muskellunge, Inc Chapter 50. If you are looking for a guarantee that your fly or lure will at least pass over a tiger muskellunge or two, or three, or four, or more, the immediate tailrace (stilling basin) of Blue Marsh Lake is one place to go. They are caught there night and day.

Outstanding!

The relatively mild warm weather we've had this winter can make for some good muskie fishing. Thanks for starting this thread.

Nice fish. I like the facial expression too.

Not to derail this topic, but how often do you get a bass to swipe at a fly that big?

Big flies big fish. Nice catch! GG

MKern, surprisingly often & they are usually but not always chunkers. Not every trip out & more often in the summer/fall than winter. A nice thick smallie hitting a 10-12" fly can save what would have been fishless day. Fat Walleyes sometimes too.

Nice catches! What rods are you guys using? I have a 9' 10wt blank I'm going to build a musky rod with. I'm debating what style/how long of a handle to make on it. Thinking of making the handle long almost like a spey rod. Also are you throwing floating, intermediate, or sinking lines and whats your leader setup like?

I have an 11wt Helios which has an extended handle like a spey rod. Good for doing figure 8's at the boat using two hands.

I use a heavy sink tip line, 450-475 grain I think, but also a floating line for topwater, but I don't use that much.

Leaders are simple and short, but you need a heavy bite tippet. I use 60lb. fluoro.

As for by catch, Fly Flinger has a good striper picture for ya!

MKern wrote:
Not to derail this topic, but how often do you get a bass to swipe at a fly that big?

As D-Nymph said, bass will hit a fly that big and bigger. And not huge bass. I've caught 13" bass on 8"-10" flies. I've also caught my biggest smallie while musky fishing so just never know.

Bigjohn- A 10wt will certainly work and since you have the option, add the extended handle. I use my 10wt for top water flies with an intermediate line. I use the 12wt with 450G sinking line. I dont think you would want to use the 450 with a 10wt, probably 350. It depends on the body of water you'll be fishing. If the flowing waters near you, you could probably get by with an intermediate line which gives you the option of using top water flies. You can always weight a fly to help get deeper if needed. If your looking to fish lakes, the sinking would be better during most times of the years. Since you can adjust the depth of the fly by how fast you are stripping, a sinking line gives you more options. I fish my sinking line 80% of the year, even in rivers. As for a leader, I keep mine simple. For the sinking line I use a 2'-3' section of 25lb Maxima with 12"-14", 60lb-80lb Flouro bite guard to a swivel or loop knot to the fly. Lots of guys use wire instead of the flouro. Your choice. Good luck and let us know how you do.

MKern wrote:
Nice fish. I like the facial expression too.

I don't know why I never really have a smile. I'm certainly happy with every catch. My wife always busts my stones and says that it's my poop face. I think it's a result of shock from finally getting one after hours, days, weeks, months or years of trying. I was lucky to only have to put in about 8 hours since my last one but it's always a great moment that brings out the poop face.

I fish smallish water, so I use a TFO BVK 10 wt. If I was fishing bigger water more often I would (and will eventually) use a 12 wt. But guys I fish with who do use a 12 are over gunned in some places, their flies land on the bank, in trees, tons of slack at the end of a cast & they wonder why, lol. I do not have the long extended butt, they do look effective.

I'd rather have multiple lines than rods, I keep 3 spools.

80% of the time - SA Titan sonar sink line
15% of the time - Intermediate line (including topwater)
5% of the time - Floating line

I use 24" 40 lb mono looped to 12-18" 30 lb bite wire to rio quick snap.

I kind of figured I'd go with an intermediate line. Most of the water I fish is on the shallow side in the Susquehanna and West Branch Susquehanna. I've always been skeptical of fluorocarbon line for a leader with musky. I've caught several with conventional gear out of my kayak but goal for 2020 is to get one out of my kayak with the fly rod!

Muskies, awesome!
great takes and fight, J.

Awesome stuff. I haven't focused on muskies in quite some time.

38-40ish

Attachments

• M9a.jpg
    M9a.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 4
  • M8.JPG
    M8.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 5
Back