2020 Fly Fishing Goals and Resolutions

turkey

turkey

Well, it's that time of year again. I went back and checked my 2019 angling resolutions. I didn't fare so well on my list. However, I got to experience some things that I didn't plan for such as a better-than-average largemouth out of the float tube in Michigan, an Atlantic salmon buck in NY (lethargic but life list none the less), a really decent snook off the beach in Florida, and of course the 2019 Jamboree was outstanding. It included, but wasn't limited to excellent BBQ, excellent music, excellent friends that you don't get to see enough of, and csoult and I had a great day on Kettle when a herd of elk crossed the creek and walked the banks around us for several hours. We even caught some fish on our terms. With all of that in mind it makes me wonder where 2020 will take Us all and it's a reminder that the best-laid plans of euro-nymphers and men often go awry.

3KX06me.jpg

gTBKFsL.jpg

pnAFHdl.jpg

Where will 2020 take you?

Nice fish. Where did you catch the snook? GG

I don't think I made any resolutions, but I know what I would have said: explore a bunch of Adirondack (my new non-PA location) streams and figure out some stillwater techniques on some ponds up here. I would not say I was really successful on either. Kids/new job/new house/life got in the way.

In terms of my fishing year in review, I have a lot to appreciate looking back and a lot of new experiences:

-got to know a couple NY streams and catch some decent trout in this state for the first time

-buddy got a nice Towee and brought it up to the Saranac Lakes for bass. First fun/focused bass fly fishing from a boat

-tried a handful of new things (with mostly depressing results, but whatever): first trip to Salmon River (skunked), fishing for lakers in Lake George shallows at ice out smelt run (skunked), first East Branch and Beaverkill trips (skunked)

-had a low numbers year spin fishing for bass due to high water, but landed some personal best fish when it was on

Overall, odd but great year. Thanks to all for the continued education here.

I really need and to want to be a better nymph fly fisherman. I have really only nymph fly fished twice and both times were with guides on the Frying Pan River in Colorado.

I did catch trout, and missed many more.

Oh man, 2020. It's a testament to something that my post was only looking back...

I'll just say that my resolution is to be up for anything and to do all those things again with fish on the other end of the line.

My resolutions for 2020 are to catch a snakehead on the fly, spend more time fishing dry flies for trout, and to pray daily for excellent and usual conditions that are conducive to the river smallmouth fishing that I hold so dearly (please, Lord!)

My resolution a year ago, was for better fishing conditions in 2019.
And considering what a washout 2018 was, I figured things were likely to get better.

And they did.
Although I did have some washouts during the early part of year - spring time and early summer.
The rains finally shut off by mid summer - providing some nice late season fishing for me. And I made up for the lost time.

One of my goals every year now, is to try to fish a few new streams - which I did do.
One of which was, finally trying the Lackawanna River. And after spending 2 days on it in late september, I came away pretty impressed.
And plan on it visiting it again.

As for 2020: Just hoping for a little more decent stream conditions.
And more time to spend fishing them.

My goals for 2020 are quite simple.
Catch a smallmouth 20+ inches.
Fish 5 Pa. trout streams I have never fished before.

Due to work, weather, and a move thrown in for good measure I only fished 8 times last year. For 2020 - fish more, do everything else less (well almost everything else).

Looking forward to 2020-

In final stages of planning a summer trip to Alaska to catch Sockeye, Pink and chum Salmon. Hopeful to mouse up a couple leopard bows. Be over the moon to catch a Dolly Varden and or Arctic Char ( although, I find the differences to be very confusing).

Taking a family vacation to Maine in August, there will fishing and will pursue the native Arctic char there too- ( think most people catch dollys in AK , so this is my backup plan)

Hatches and rises forever!!

Just to get out and fish with friends. GG

I think I'd like to get into some smallmouth this year. Hoping to get back to Florida and check out Biscayne Bay. A bonefish or permit would blow my mind. I'd also like to try to hike the west rim of the Pine Creek gorge.

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Nice fish. Where did you catch the snook? GG

Thanks GG, I got that one off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. They were just starting to pin bait to the sand and cold rains moved in for a soaker. I tried again the next day and it was like the snook had vanished.

dryflyguy wrote:
As for 2020: Just hoping for a little more decent stream conditions.
And more time to spend fishing them.

Twice in 2019 I made the drive to chase early hatches. First was BWOs and then grannoms. Both times the bugs started, followed by some rises, and just as the fish got steady...it stopped. I'd like to make up for that.

acristickid wrote:
Looking forward to 2020-

In final stages of planning a summer trip to Alaska to catch Sockeye, Pink and chum Salmon. Hopeful to mouse up a couple leopard bows. Be over the moon to catch a Dolly Varden and or Arctic Char ( although, I find the differences to be very confusing).

Taking a family vacation to Maine in August, there will fishing and will pursue the native Arctic char there too- ( think most people catch dollys in AK , so this is my backup plan)

Hatches and rises forever!!

When ever will you find time to hunt!

Fish more. That is always a goal for the new year.

Fly fish more from my kayak and land a 20"+ smallmouth. My largest this year was 18 1/2". First year fishing from the kayak. Can't complain. What a blast.

Fish several waters I have never fished and fish some I have neglected the last couple of years.

Not fishing related but my wife and I are remodeling my childhood home. Hope to turn it into a nice place to rent to visiting fly fisherman, hunters etc. Should be ready by late spring. Location is perfect. Access to the best streams in central and NC Pa. Penns, Spring, Big and Little Pine, White Deer, Young Womans, Big Fishing Creek, Lycoming, Loyalsock and many numerous mountain streams. ALL within an hour drive or less.

Enjoy time spent fly fishing with friends.

I don't do "resolutions".

But my hope for next year is simple.... just to get out more.

I don't really care where or for what, just more days spent with a rod in my hand and water in front of me.

Agree with get out more. Waiting for the water levels to go down to wading levels the past two years has given me the idea to get a pedal kayak which will give me more fishing time during high water periods.

gulfgreyhound wrote:

This ^^^

StreamBottom wrote:
gulfgreyhound wrote:

This ^^^

+2

Really looking forward to hooking up with a great group of friends at the Jam this Spring. These friends and fishing buddies were all born via PAFF.

Also, pulled the trigger on another “bucket list” flyfishing trip to Alaska for Salmon with another great friend and college buddy in August of 2020.

Yeah, I’m pumped!

dc410 wrote:
Also, pulled the trigger on another “bucket list” flyfishing trip to Alaska for Salmon with another great friend and college buddy in August of 2020.

Yeah, I’m pumped!

This sounds amazing. Congratulations!

Hope to experiment a little more and hit some new water in 2020

krayfish2 wrote:
Hope to experiment a little more and hit some new water in 2020

I'd like to tag along with DaveS and come fish with you guys someday. I'm Delaware ignorant.

Back