2020 Fly Fishing Goals and Resolutions

2019 was an epic year for me. My goal for 2020 is a new thing for me. I want to catch a Musky and pike on the fly. I've caught pike before while bass fishing with spin gear, but never caught a musky. In addition to the pike/musky goals, I want to do more warm water fly fishing in general. Pretty excited to try something new.

My goal is to explore new waters. I need to get out of my comfort zone and explore more bodies of water. I need to make some instate trips to some of the other gems. I want to fish Penns and the upper Delaware this year. Weather just has to cooperate!

Fishing goals are great but I want to eat more chicken wings - just sayin

Resolutions for 2020:
1. Slow down. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to second guessing location, tactics, flies.
2. Explore 2 or 3 new streams
3. Musky on a fly
4. Snakehead on a fly

i am thinking of trying to be wet fly only this year.
i think about this every year,but,usually a situation comes up wherein i have to cheat and use a dry fly.

shakey wrote:
i think about this every year,but,usually a situation comes up wherein i have to cheat and use a dry fly.

And I thought you were a REAL fly fisherman!

shakey wrote:

Back-in-the-day, before I had any good dry fly hackle I fished wets to risers.

Even the dries I tied were really wets with the poor quality hackle and the heavy bait hooks I used.

But I knocked the snot outta 'um many times during a hatch.

That was before most guys really knew about tying emergers.....I tied accidental emergers.

Anyway, fish any way you like and don't worry about having to catch a zillion or catch a lunker.

You may be surprised how many fish will respond to a wet fly.

I plan on fishing more in 2020. I have a casual goal of catching a trout every month. Last night I obtained PA and MD fishing licenses. I have plenty of gear so it is really just about time and opportunity in 2020.

I bought a Honda Passport SUV lat year with the intention of getting out for multiday trips and even being able to sleep in the vehicle. North-central Pennsylvania is tops on my list for places to be this spring.

There are several days over the next week that look like good days to get started for 2020.

dryflyguy wrote:
shakey wrote:

And I thought you were a REAL fly fisherman!

yes,i try to be a real wet fly angler,but let's face it,using a dry fly is sometimes just too easy.

i hate to cheat with the dry fly,but,it might be better than bait.not really sure.

it just seems funny that you can see the take.less sporting,but,sometimes that's what the fish want.

dkile wrote:
I plan on fishing more in 2020. I have a casual goal of catching a trout every month. Last night I obtained PA and MD fishing licenses. I have plenty of gear so it is really just about time and opportunity in 2020.

I bought a Honda Passport SUV lat year with the intention of getting out for multiday trips and even being able to sleep in the vehicle. North-central Pennsylvania is tops on my list for places to be this spring.

There are several days over the next week that look like good days to get started for 2020.

NICE WHEELS!!!

Like so many others have said , To fish more, even if it is just one day more than last year. A few more trips to Pine Creek and few more trips out of state. And I really need to try some new water.

To not drown and my body holding up to miles of walking, hiking, wading every time out.

Back