2019 Fly Fishing Goals and Resolutions

turkey

turkey

Maybe because I have a strong dose of cabin fever. Maybe work has been a bit too life consuming. Maybe it's the mention of the 2019 Jamboree. It seems that I'm already looking forward to next year. Anyone have any fly angling resolutions or goals for the impending flip of the calendar? New water to explore, new patterns to tie, new species to pursue, volunteer programs to get involved with, or trips to plan? My mind is wandering and wondering on this rainy Sunday...

Just to get out fishing more. But also to hit streams I have not fished yet or for a long time. I'm heading out next Saturday for sure. Tight lines.

I have always been intimidated by nymph fishing. The few times that I have hired guides, guess what they want me to fish? Nymphs!

I need to get better at fishing with nymphs.

Learn how to use this spey rod I just bought myself.

Ha!
That's my goal too. Im ok with it but I plan on being very proficient with my spey rod by the end of next year.

What kind did you get?

What kind did you get?

Do tell, what rods did you guys get into? Where are you planning on using them?

Still working on 2018 goal -- which is to catch at least one trout during each month of the year, out of a different stream, using only flies of course. December is a bust so far, high water and cold water temp.

My goal is to fish 10 new streams in 2019. Some in NWPA, some in NCPA, some in eastern PA and one in Maryland. I would also like to tie more flies over the winter months. I tend to do all of my tying during the season.

Prospector wrote:
My goal is to fish 10 new streams in 2019. Some in NWPA, some in NCPA, some in eastern PA and one in Maryland. I would also like to tie more flies over the winter months. I tend to do all of my tying during the season.

I grew up in NWPA but didn't FF back then. Now I find it tough to get back to the ANF, Forest, and Venango to fish. It's a beautiful area.

Arminacast wrote:
Still working on 2018 goal -- which is to catch at least one trout during each month of the year, out of a different stream, using only flies of course. December is a bust so far, high water and cold water temp.

I've always wanted to catch a trout on a dry fly every month of the year. Never say never but 2019 isn't looking too good for that.

Sal -

Let's get together and take them out sometime.

I got a hand built Meiser 12'6" 5/7 400-600 grain rod. It's an early graduation gift to myself (finishing my MA in English & Creative Writing this spring). Plan on fishing it on the Susquehanna for bass, Great lake tribs for steelhead/salmon/etc, bigger trout waters, Maine landlocks, Idaho/Montana bull trout, and hopefully for salmon up in Nova Scotia this summer.

turkey wrote:
Arminacast wrote:

I've always wanted to catch a trout on a dry fly every month of the year. Never say never but 2019 isn't looking too good for that.

I've been close - every month except january I believe

dryflyguy wrote:
I've been close - every month except january I believe

You're the first person I think of when I ponder the 12 month challenge. A mild winter might be an advantage. Maybe 2019 is your year?

raftman wrote:
Sal -

Let's get together and take them out sometime.

I got a hand built Meiser 12'6" 5/7 400-600 grain rod. It's an early graduation gift to myself (finishing my MA in English & Creative Writing this spring). Plan on fishing it on the Susquehanna for bass, Great lake tribs for steelhead/salmon/etc, bigger trout waters, Maine landlocks, Idaho/Montana bull trout, and hopefully for salmon up in Nova Scotia this summer.

Mr. Meiser wraps a great rod.

turkey wrote

I grew up in NWPA but didn't FF back then. Now I find it tough to get back to the ANF, Forest, and Venango to fish. It's a beautiful area.
There are better fly fishing areas in the state but I enjoy fishing in the NWPA streams near my camp. I can easily reach out to 4 counties (Forest, Venango, Warren, and Elk). Fished 13 stocked streams and 7 wild trout streams in those counties last year. It’s rare for me to hit a dry fly day on the stocked streams but the wild streams are an either/or proposition.

So I’ve heard...should be getting here tomorrow. Had a really great, long conversation with him when we were discussing which rod he’d build me. Awesome dude.

raftman wrote:

So I’ve heard...should be getting here tomorrow. Had a really great, long conversation with him when we were discussing which rod he’d build me. Awesome dude.

Very cool. I've spoken to him once or twice. This is my 11 footer below. Enjoy the rod.

IiH7eJw.jpg

Beautiful!

I'm tired of complaining about fishing conditions in 2018 > it's over in two weeks > good riddance!

Looking forward to 2019.

No specific plan or trip, just a resolution and goal to do more fishing in general.

Plan to do some camping / fishing trips beginning in the spring.

Looking forward to it.

Good Lord what beautiful rods!

Back