2018 season thus far

My 2018 trout season has been nonexistent, except for two days.

I've hit the salt once.

BrookieChaser wrote:

I've hit the salt once.

:-o Empty glass!...gotta fill it up, Dude....

Went for a 3 day trip May 15-17....fished Spring Creek for about 3 hrs. in the am.......Then the rains came Penns & Big Fishing blown out and Spring high and murky.......Cut my losses and went home and tied up with a work project till end of June...... My Pa. fishing is done till fall...... Headed to Mt. as soon as this project is done

afishinado wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

I've hit the salt once.

I plan to go for some casting practice in the salt again this weekend, if all goes well. I even got some carp leads down there. The more time I spend at my beach house the quicker that glass gets filled.

BrookieChaser wrote:
afishinado wrote:
BrookieChaser wrote:

I've hit the salt once.

I plan to go for some casting practice in the salt again this weekend, if all goes well. I even got some carp leads down there. The more time I spend at my beach house the quicker that glass gets filled.

My glass always gets filled. But then it empties out. Happened twice tonight :-D

Fished exactly once since opening day week. Weather and schedule haven't cooperated for early season, but it should bode well for later. Or at least this upcoming few weeks. Weather could flip, and we'll be in a hot dry summer before we know it. PA was almost all blue on the USGS gauges; now it's green.

Did well sub surface with nymphs early on but just recently the dry fly action has picked up so overall another good year.

Ron

Well, looks like the 2018 trout season will last longer this year- so there is a plus. Pittsburgh 8 inches over average YTD precipitation.

I’d say the J has unfishable on average several days a week for the last 2-3 months. Several suburbs of Pgh- got flooded out yesterday. The Loyalhanna Creek was as high as I have ever seen yesterday.

acristickid wrote:
Well, looks like the 2018 trout season will last longer this year- so there is a plus. Pittsburgh 8 inches over average YTD precipitation.

I’d say the J has unfishable on average several days a week for the last 2-3 months. Several suburbs of Pgh- got flooded out yesterday. The Loyalhanna Creek was as high as I have ever seen yesterday.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/spring-fishing-guide/post/trout-fishing-flood-conditions

I've only gotten out twice this season so far, been mending my torn rotator, but I did manage a 10", and an 11" native last Friday. I'm hoping we can get some kind of rain soon (Friday?) so I can head up to NC.

Assessed on the location/potential curve that generally applies, this has been (for me anyway...) an above average year for wild fish in my usual NW PA haunts, at least until this most recent falling of the hot weather hammer. A number of stocked fisheries that have always shown decent numbers of wild browns in the 6-8" range are showing fish this year that average another inch or two in size. Since this seems to be a fairly widespread thing across a number of the streams I fish, I'm assuming this means there was a generally good year class and successful spawn from whichever autumn it would be that (2015 or 2016?) would produce fish of that size this year.

This has been welcome as my flowing water smallmouth fishing has been less than optimal so far this year due to high flows.

I had some nice days on Spring Creek for olives and midges back in March. My trip to Michigan was a bust, water levels and uncertainty on where to fish made it difficult. Had one outstanding evening for sulfurs but that was it.

Couldn't catch any dependable or good hatch of anything. Poor timing on my part I guess. Did well on streamers (buggers mostly) locally. Landed some decent wild browns, well they are all decent. Some nice stocked trout too.

My son and I were out to the Bighorn in mid April and although the river was high and cold it was a very good week underneath. The last two evenings we got some good midge fishing on top.

Looking forward to some smallmouth fishing now.

For me, the 2018 season has been fantastic. I'm 52 and though I've fished most of my life, I just started fly fishing about 18 months ago and it has been addicting! But to say there's a learning curve is an understatement - especially since I don't have a mentor and therefore all of my learning has either been on the creek or on the computer (both are invaluable). Anyway, whereas a year ago I was just starting out and mostly getting skunked, this year I am starting to catch fish. Usually just 1 or 2 per outing, but still - progress is progress and I couldn't be happier. Getting better at finding good streams, reading the water and finding fishy spots, choosing flies, casting, detecting strikes, landing fish, etc. I'm by no means an expert in any of these areas, but I am starting to catch on. So far this year I've fished Valley Creek, the Wissahickon, the Brodhead, Manatawny, West branch Perkiomen, McMichael, Saucon and a few others within an hour or so of Philly, and I've caught trout on most of the outings. Even when I don't catch fish though, I can tell there is progress. For the novices out there - stick with it and get out there, you will get the hang of it. For you experts, please keep posting info on this forum, it's an invaluable resource. Thanks!!

^ nice....love hearing about someone having fun putting some effort in to learn the sport, and realizing it takes some time out on the water to have a little success, and finally to be okay with just having little success in the beginning.

If you stick with it you will start catching a bunch of fish.

If you stick with it even longer, catching a bunch of fish won't even matter.

Having fun is what really counts, and it sounds like you're doing just that....good for you!

I’ve had great fishing when I’ve been out. Fished allot in NC Pa. The water was high early in the season but as the water dropped it got better and better.

Anyone whoever called Clarks Creek tiny trout water, come and fish it now. It's a solid hundred and fifty yards wide at the bridge on 225.. I posted a photo here 7 to 10 years ago during one big flood and it's almost at that level. The fly zone has been severely eroded by High Water Events and I imagine that this is really going to hurt it.

Back