2017 Big Fish Statistics

3oh4 wrote;

See it doesn't do it for me because I only fish for wild trout unlike my younger days where I chased bass. I always felt Streamer fishing was more associated with fishing for warm water species like throwing big spinners and buzzbaits for bass. Don't get me wrong I enjoy catching any size trout but I'd much rather fool a 17" fish on a dry or nymph - I think Streamer fishing takes a lot of skill and relaxation out of fly fishing. It's a very up tempo style and covering water faster is a big key to it, I'd much rather dissect a run or pool and match the bugs that I tied to what the fish are eating. But I'm no dummy - once a fish gets to a certain size in some waterways they become primarily carnivores, I'd be an idiot to quit Streamer fishing. I enjoy big browns to much. I've landed 3 20" or better fish in 6 days on the water this year and none have been on a Streamer. That makes me feel more accomplished than catching them on a big Streamer. After a while I lose track of how many days and fish I have caught but I never forget how many 20s, its like my National Championship or Super Bowl count I guess. It just drives me to an obsession that has become a sickness.

Okay, thanks for your vivid explanation. I thoroughly understand. I have been fly fishing for fifty-eight (58) years, The last 25 have been primarily dry fly fishing to rising trout with about 10% of the time throwing big streamers. Both disciplines are exciting. Locating a big brown that is rising and you get him to rise and ultimately put him in the net is awesome. But so is throwing a 4"-5" streamer on a #7 rod and seeing a huge boil behind the fly and then a powerful take is pretty hard to forget!

The brown ate a #18 CDC caddis. Awesome fish on 5X.

Attachments

• 2008 24 Inches.jpg
    2008 24 Inches.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 3
That’s a nice looking big fish Wbranch.

Also, I love the scenery with the train in the background. Good stuff.

Back