2017 Big Fish Statistics

acristickid wrote:
Lake Fish that run into streams to spawn for a very short time is my take.

Yeah, that's the nuts and bolts I think too. Doesn't necessarily need to be a lake per se, but access to VERY BIG water with big time forage but also thermal refuge opportunities, and direct access to suitable smaller tributary water spawning habitat. The fish would be a needle in a haystack in the bigger water for most of the year, but if you can find where they run to spawn, you can increase your chances of locating them for a few months in the Fall. Still a relative needle in a haystack, but a smaller haystack probably.

There's a billion potential spots like this in PA, but most don't pan out, and hence the difficulty. Why it takes lots of time, research, exploring, and likely striking out to get results like B71.

acristickid wrote:
Lake Fish that run into streams to spawn for a very short time is my take.

I agree. That or from a big river. Might have started it's stream life as a stocked fish, too.

That isn't meant as an insult. Either way it's still a very awesome fish.

There's nothing quite like hooking a big brown trout in a small stream.

Yup, netting a big brown from a "normal" stream is the utopia of fly fishing for me... I do slightly discredit a fish that swims up a trib. to spawn and then leaves type of catch. Honestly if this post was made during the Cabin Fever months there probably would have been some backlash for the egg eaters during the spawn months from some.

3oh4 wrote:
Yup, netting a big brown from a "normal" stream is the utopia of fly fishing for me.

Me too. The big Browns from small freestoners are the most memorable catches for me, and what I find to be the most motivating. Everyone's different in what motivates them though.

I'd also say that "big" is a relative term. I consider a "big" Brown in small stream freestone fishing to be something in the 15" range or bigger. On an average year, I probably catch about 5 of this caliber of fish from small freestone streams, and I spend the majority of my time fishing these kinds of streams.

I'm a 20" guy... Anything at 20" or bigger is what keeps me obsessed; That 17"-19" range keeps me satisfied though if it is on a dry or nymph. Something about a 17" fish on a streamer really doesn't do it for me. Hard to explain I guess.

I know what your saying 3oh4.

Swattie wrote:

I fish a good bit. Mostly small streams, and I'm definitely not specifically targeting big fish. I have NEVER caught a 20" wild Brown. I have numerous 18" or so range fish, but nothing bigger. I'm not specifically trying to catch them, but I agree...I'd say less than 1% of PA Trout stamp purchasers in a given year catch a 20" or larger wild Brown.

Good post Swattie. Like you, I mostly fish small streams, meaning several dozen different streams over the last 8 years or so. I've found exactly one small freestone stream that consistently produces 20"+ browns. The deep pool habitat is exceptional on that one. Even so, "consistent" means on average only one 20" fish landed per year.

My 20" fish stats from last year:

a 23" and a 20", from the same evening in mid April. water was 50 degrees and raging high. I was only able to fish for an hour before dark.

I fished the stream probably 10 times over the rest of the year, and never hooked another 20"+, even though I know exactly what rock ledges they live under and go to the stream exclusively targeting the biggest fish in each pool. They are THAT difficult.

It’s hard to catch big trout in small streams a lot of time for me what happens I believe is you catch the smaller trout and he ruins the hole I try to fish the end first and work up.

Last week in a deep hole I fish rarely catch a big trout but know they are in there I caught a small trout tried to work him out quick luckily I did the next cast I caught a large brown who chased it from a undercut bank.

I usually lose a lot of fish when they hit that close to me that one basically hooked itself on the streamer it’s a great rush

30h4 wrote;

Something about a 17" fish on a streamer really doesn't do it for me. Hard to explain I guess.

If 17" trout on a streamer no longer "do it for me" anymore you might want to re-think why you are fishing. Most every guy on this board will still be tickled pink to catch a 17" trout on a streamer, me included.

I've caught a few 20" and larger wild trout, all on flies, all on public water, and no lake run fish. I've had many days catching 10 - 12 18" - 21" wild fish. I've also had a few days where I caught so many that I quit after four hours because it was so easy. I've just never cared enough to keep a journal of how many and how long they were. One of my friends does and that is cool. I just am having plenty of fun without keeping track.

See it doesn't do it for me because I only fish for wild trout unlike my younger days where I chased bass. I always felt Streamer fishing was more associated with fishing for warm water species like throwing big spinners and buzzbaits for bass. Don't get me wrong I enjoy catching any size trout but I'd much rather fool a 17" fish on a dry or nymph - I think Streamer fishing takes a lot of skill and relaxation out of fly fishing. It's a very up tempo style and covering water faster is a big key to it, I'd much rather dissect a run or pool and match the bugs that I tied to what the fish are eating. But I'm no dummy - once a fish gets to a certain size in some waterways they become primarily carnivores, I'd be an idiot to quit Streamer fishing. I enjoy big browns to much. I've landed 3 20" or better fish in 6 days on the water this year and none have been on a Streamer. That makes me feel more accomplished than catching them on a big Streamer. After a while I lose track of how many days and fish I have caught but I never forget how many 20s, its like my National Championship or Super Bowl count I guess. It just drives me to an obsession that has become a sickness.

You guys all bring up some great points, good conversation.

And it is true, quite a few of my big browns come from streams that run into much larger streams or I think we'll even say river LOL.

The statement about striking out a lot is spot on. I have spent countless hours checking places that I had a hunch on, or heard some rumbling about, only to walk miles and come up with nothing. It happens, its part of the game, part of what makes it fun. I have posted on here before, I am fortunate to work for a family business, and I am on the road a lot, in a lot of areas, and have a lot of time flexibility. So, needless to say the rod is always in the truck, and that is actually how I stumbled upon some of these places.

Now, one thing I did want to add. There is a few, VERY well known limestoners that do produce fish of this size. Not many, but I know of 2 for sure. They both have decent amounts of posted water, which I'm sure helps. But, they are not secrets or anything close, and actually 2 of my 3 biggest trout ever, were from one of these limestoners. The key is to fish the areas that others miss, the low end waters that folks say aren't "trouty" enough or "too warm." I always love when I hear about a downstream area on what I know is a good stream, that people say is "too warm for trout." At that point, you can almost bet that's where the biggest trout in the stream/river are. Not the most by any means, but the biggest.

And 3oh4, I hear you man. Once you catch this big brown obsession, there is no turning back LOL. I devote a huge percentage of my time to this, and love every minute of it, even when you come up empty handed.

Here is one you fellow big trout hunters might be interested in...

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/726552-needle-in-a-haystack-new-pb-unicorn/

Attachments

• PB giant downsized file.jpg
    PB giant downsized file.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 2
Great trout TJones

Thanks HJ! This one will have me smiling for a while... :)

Wasn’t sure if I would post here or not since it was caught on a lure and not fly, but figured most of u guys would enjoy it anyways haha.

Brown71, I always enjoy your posts... and I hope you don’t mind me interjecting this fish into your thread. You are definitely right, man... once you catch the big brown bug, there is no turning back!

TJ, that is a awesome trout! As good as it gets! Post away man, I love seeing others success with the monsters. There is amazing trout in this state!

Congrats man!

I like how you mentioned the marginal water too. Like I said in my last post, when someone says that, and if you know the water even upstream holds trout, chances are that’s where the fish we are looking for are.

Thanks B71! You know every year I grow more amazed at some of the fish we have here in Pennsylgonia... :)

That monster 31” you caught and released is outstanding! Takes serious work and commitment to a certain lifestyle to catch fish like that on a regular basis.

Thank you man!

Yea this state really is special for trout fishing.

Back