2016 Fishing New Year's Resolutions

hooker-of-men wrote:

Fly Fishing
1) Fish more nymphs.
I don't enjoy fishing them. I barely even carry them in my fly box. Time to start.

2) Spend more time in fast water.
I tend to spend most of my time working pools and only chuck a random cast or two into riffles. I'm not sure where this prejudice came from.

Non-Fly Fishing
1) Charter a boat for ocean fishing
Will be my first time fishing saltwater. Been meaning to do it for years.

I didn't really do any of this. Maybe some increased streamer action in the fast water, but I still hate nymphing.

With that said, the beginning of the year up until July was awesome anyway. Got out a ton and got on a lot of fish.

I've heard a lot of complaints from people, but it was a great year for me, even given the brutal summer.

I changed shifts so that I can fish more.

Explore new water.

Meet new anglers to learn from and hear great stories.

Take more time to understand the water and enjoy my surrounding.

Wild tiger.

Fish more.

More specifically:
Fish new water
Go on at least one over night trip
Use two fly rigs more often
Fish more dries

Fish more and meet some more guys from the board, maybe even travel to a jam....management wouldn't be thrilled to have the kids all to herself for a few nights but oh well. Oh and stop typing get my gear packed to go fish tomorrow(guess that doesnt count)

Like many have said, nymphing and riffle water. I SUCK at both.

I wanna explore some more new waters/travel further. I keep fishing the same dozen or so stream.

Find wild trout closer to home.

1) Fish more with my buddy who is just picking up fly fishing, 2) keep a rig readily accesible in my car all spring so I have no reason not to fish in the evenings after work (even if for under an hour), 3) hunt/chase dry hatches this spring (90% of my fishing is nymphing)

I didn't mean to bump this thread for 2017 resolutions; I was just revisiting my failures. I guess this works though!

2017 Resolutions:

-steelhead on a fly
-shad on a fly

stop trying to give advice on this sight as I'm too senile to remember and everything is outdated anyway but would like to get back to Montana one more time just to gawk.
My ideal ending would be to go up and off that special turn in Bridger canyon- but I guess I will sit here and remember how great I was in my glory days....helps to have selective senility----

oh--2016-lol

I am 58 years young and admit that I am totally intimidated and unsuccessful when it comes to fishing nymphs. I am well aware that trout dine most of the time under water on nymphs.

I don't know why I am so bad at this time tested tackle technique when I have caught plenty of other fish species using live bait.

Every fisherman including die hard bass fishermen loves to watch the strike on top of the water. I am no different. I learned how to fly fish at easy places to learn like at a private R&G club in the Poconos and at a dude ranch in northwestern Wyoming.

I want to get better at fly fishing than casting dry flies and stripping in wollybuggers.

Those of you who have read my post "Exploding with Pride" on the "Off the Water" thread know how proud I am of my daughter. I told her that she is going to spend some time in Aspen, CO with her grand parents this summer.

Aspen is a beautiful place, especially in the summer. Everyday is temperatures in the 70's with no humidity.

Most of us learned how to fish for any kind of fish with spinning tackle and live bait. Nothing wrong with that. Everybody has to start and learn as a beginner. I learned how to fish watching a bobber while clutching a Zebco 202.

My daughter is going to catch her first fish while being instructed by a professional guide at Taylor Creek fly shop in Basalt, CO.

I made one for 2016 to catch a fish in every month. Along the way to completing that I learned that the pressure of catching took something away from the fun of fishing when I would get skunked.

It was a great year. First salmon on a fly rod. Personal record 20" Smallie. First kayak fishing trip. More time on the Susquehanna than in years. And my personal favorite, introducing my 11 yr old nephew to fishing during the mentored youth day.

2017 I plan to repeat with one change. Fishing in every month is the goal. Catching? Who cares.

Here were mine for 2016:
I'd like to get back to Vermont again, and into Western Maryland. I'd also like to attend the main JAM-school schedule permitting, and of course host another North Central PA Summit at the cabin.

Here's how I did.
I did not get back to Vermont, as my friend's cabin got flooded out by someone who did not turn the water off during the winter freeze (not my friend, someone else in his extended family).

I did not get into Western Maryland.

I did, however make it to SNP in VA and that was unexpected. So I'm counting that as a credit towards the two other out-of-state hopes.

I did not make it to the main Jam.

I did host another NCPA jam.

I resolve to teach my GF to tie more and better flies, and for her to become more proficient at rowing the boat.

Happy New Year to all!

My 2016 resolution was to fly fish and land a sport fish in all 12 months, and I succeeded!

My goal for 2017 is to fish at least 31 calendar days (min 4 hours per day). I only managed 22 days in 2016, down from 25 days in 2015, so I need to get out more!

Finally get a two-hander

I thought of one more that most will probably not agree with...

Keep/harvest/eat more stocked fish that I catch. I enjoy a good old fashioned foil wrapped onion stuffed trout. I only kept 1 fish last year, this year I resolve to eat at least 2.

For my girlfriends 10 year old son to catch his first steelhead.

Go on 2 camp out / fishing trips with them.

Catch a wild tiger.

Back