2016 Fishing New Year's Resolutions

Catch all 3 species of wild/native trout in PA.

Be more adventurous and fish more new waters.

Fish more often.

Continue improving my tying.

1. Fish at least 60 days next year.

2. Go on at least two over night fishing trips next year (ideally, one in the East or Midwest and on out west).

3. Take my sister out fly fishing more this year. She started fly fishing this year and we got out 4 or 5 times this years.

Just retired and moved to a lakefront house. I don't make NY resolutions, but I'll make this post an exception.

Fish. More. Lots more!

Spend more time on the Delaware River West Branch. The 40 minute drive beats the previous 3 1/2 hour drive.

Build a bamboo rod. I've had the blank and components sitting around for two years and just didn't have the time. No excuse now!

I'm not a regular poster, but am a regular lurker. Thanks to all for the great info, and I wish you all a very happy, healthy, and prosperous new year.

Get back up for the Jams. There are some here that I'd like to fish with.
Teach my Granddaughter to fly fish.GG

GGart, Bring your grand-daughter to the Jamboree. You can educate her on the FF culture all in a weekend. What better indoctrination to the sport than the best of PA FFing at the best time of year?

You win the prize for oldest, longest traveling FFer of the group. The value is a cabin.

Of course, if Jack Steel shows up, you will lose. But, he won't be coming back. Partially, I regret, because I made fun of him having 4 shades of pink in his fly tying thread display:

I plan on being there in May. Need a new knee prior to then. Granddaughter is 7 so she will be in school. We need to wet a line together, Jack. G G

I don't set fishing goals but I just started working on a champaign cork frog that I will take to FDR park in south philly to catch a snakehead with my fly rod. May get there I may not but that's my plan right now.

1. I'd like to become midge-proficient this year.

2. There are a couple of blue lines in SWPA I'd like to check out.

3. Get rid of most of the fishing gear I've accumulated but don't actually use.

4. Maybe try to get back to the Jamboree, if life will allow it.

5. Clean out my fly tying bins (see #3). Fly tying materials have proven to be by far the slipperiest slope for me. Theyre too easy. $3 a bag for this or that. Throw it in the bin. Forget about it. I've compiled enough sili-flashback-tungsten bead-egg yarn-synthetic dub-angora-biots to open a small fly shop.

6. Use Uber or Lyft to get from stream to stream around Centre County. Drink whilst I wait for my ride.

7. Get back to just enjoying fishing.

This article ties nicely into the theme of this thread - http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/your-fly-fishing-resolutions/7713432

Turkey:
That's a great list! I finally got on the board on one of those sw blue lines this past summer. Was only 1 fish but I was happy...

curtrein wrote:
Turkey:
That's a great list! I finally got on the board on one of those sw blue lines this past summer. Was only 1 fish but I was happy...

There ya go. That's one more than me for 2015.

I'd like to amend my list if I may by adding "buy fresh tippet and pay attention to my knots". A man can only lose so many steelhead before he starts to question his being.

Mine would be to fish more bait in very early spring when the water is cold during the early opener and two weeks that follow, and use lures more frequently than I have in recent years when fishing for trout. I've gotten into a fly fishing rut.

Fish more than the 3 times I got out last year (don't even go there) and see the history in Roscoe. Happy and healthy New Year to everyone.

I'd like to get back to Vermont again, and into Western Maryland. I'd also like to attend the main JAM-school schedule permitting, and of course host another North Central PA Summit at the cabin.

hooker-of-men wrote:
turkey wrote:

6. Use Uber or Lyft to get from stream to stream around Centre County. Drink whilst I wait for my ride.

Good god. You're a genius.

Could get a little pricey though.

Nice to see you posting on here again Turkey.
Are you tying some BWO's for spring?
Although the way this winter has gone so far, we might see them hatching in February.

Hi DFG, these kids have kept me from my vise for awhile now. My fly boxes look pretty sparse. I just fished with Albatross on Jan 1 and I made mention of my intentions to find you streamside when the olives come up for air this year. We had a nice conversation regarding your knowledge, skill and selflessness. If your ears were burning, that was us. If life permits, I'll be there, although I'll probably have to buy some flies this time around.

I can't wait for bugs.

Back