2012 Eastern PA Flyfishing Instructional Jamboree

Something to keep in mind...

We'll be accepting donations of flies to be distributed to the newbies. Andy (surveyor06) will be handling this, as well as doing the tying at his station.

The flies don't have to be new - it's a good opportunity to clean out your fly boxes, and it'll help the newbies out a lot. Last year, we gave out over 50 flies to each newbie, thanks in large part to k-bob donating several hundred flies.

I'm way ahead of you Ed. I've already requested K-bob's help. :)

K-Bob, wondering if time for a real "outing" for the afternoon? Meaning, not this limestone special reg crap. I've arranged a day away from the baby, seems ashame to not use it to its fullest!

We couldn't get too ambitious, would have to be reasonably close, and a situation where we could get some action in only a 3-4 hour time frame.

Pat Sat looks like a cool day with a chance of rain, but I am sure we could think of something.

Check this out...

Morning Call Article

From the article:

"Fly fishing is as much art as it is skill and often looks intimidating to many anglers. Some of those mysteries will be peeled away during the 2012 Paflyfish.com Fly Fishing Instructional Jamboree 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at the Pool Wildlife Sanctuary on the grounds of the Wildlands Conservancy, 3701 Orchid Place, Lower Macungie Township.

If fly fishing has been your goal but you haven't quite got a handle on it yet, or haven't had time to refine your skills, then this free full-day seminar will inspire you to get out on the water to understand the adage that "time spent fishing doesn't count against time spent living."

This seminar will include expert instruction from people willing to share their knowledge and skills in everything from knot tying to casting techniques. Instruction presentations on gear and setup, hands-on fly-fishing instruction, leader setups, entomology, fly tying, fly casting, approaching a spring creek and wild brook trout fishing will take place during the morning.

After a two-hour lunch break, the group will head to the special regulations catch-and-release area on the Little Lehigh Creek near the Heritage Fly Fishing shop in the Lehigh Parkway for on-stream instruction.

And, the best part is that it's free."

Thanks for organizing this!
One suggestion - I know it puts the carriage before of the horse, but you guys may want to move the casting to morning since the chance of rain increases during the day.

What should

vdragan wrote:
....you guys may want to move the casting to morning since the chance of rain increases during the day.

It's been scheduled for the morning (8:30-noon) since day one.

See post #1. ;-)

We'll be providing the gear for the casting session, so you only need to bring your own gear if you want to fish in the afternoon.

H.A.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
What should

...you bring?

Yourself, a raincoat, and your fishing gear (including license) if you want to fish in the afternoon.

Afish is gonna do the onstream session at 2PM, and there'll be enough instructors so that we can then split into groups to actually fish, if you want to.

We've lost a couple of instructors due to work issues, and I'd like to inform everyone that the presentation "Approaching A Spring Creek" has been canceled for this reason. We'll make it up to everyone as best we can in the on-stream session, and this presentation will likely be available in the near future on the forum.

H.A.

See you guys tomorrow - lookin forward to it!

Truck's packed, Dan called from the road to confirm he's going to be ready in the morning and Tom's got his gear ready for the road (and the stream) looking forward to tomorrow. Leaving Scranton at 6 ish for the Jam.

We lost Sal? Was lookin forward to finally meeting him! Oh well.

Stuff all in a pile in my basement, waiting on the Subaru to come home to pack. Tryin to time my arrival for 7:15, but it's an hour and a half drive, plus or minus a half hour, so sometime between 6:45 and 7:45. :) Lookin forward to it!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
vdragan wrote:
....you guys may want to move the casting to morning since the chance of rain increases during the day.

It's been scheduled for the morning (8:30-noon) since day one.

See post #1. ;-)

We'll be providing the gear for the casting session, so you only need to bring your own gear if you want to fish in the afternoon.

H.A.

Sorry, I was thinking about item 9 (onstream instruction) and called it "casting". Missed the separate item 6 (casting instruction).
I guess it's late to re-shuffle the stream thing in the morning and the forecast does not seem that bad, only a 50% chance of rain now.

Looking forward to this tomorrow. Thanks again for organizing this.

Dennis

Back