2 weight rod - Will I really ever use it??

Only you can tell.

If you got a good deal on it and don't miss the money keep it it's a great brookie/panfish rod.

I use my 1 wt from June thru Nov. on non LE trib streams.
Once you go light you will not pick up a 3 wt.

For fishing dries on valley creek, I think a lot of guys would catch more fish with a2w than a 5w. You don't need long casts, and it easier to avoid scaring the fish with a lighter line... I think that anyone willing to try casting a 2w like that ct overlined with a 3 would found it works great for this type of fishing..

Real world fishing on smallish streams is different from yard casting.. the 20-40 ft range where you catch fish looks like nothing in a yard, and there are no yard fish to spook with a heavier line than you really need.

k-bob wrote:
For fishing dries on valley creek, I think a lot of guys would catch more fish with a2w than a 5w. You don't need long casts, and it easier to avoid scaring the fish with a lighter line... I think that anyone willing to try casting a 2w like that ct overlined with a 3 would found it works great for this type of fishing..

Real world fishing on smallish streams is different from yard casting.. the 20-40 ft range where you catch fish looks like nothing in a yard, and there are no yard fish to spook with a heavier line than you really need.

A "2 wt" rod with a 3 weight line is a 3 weight. A 3 weight is minutely different from a 4 weight. Thus, use a 4 weight, which is the appropriate tool for the job, imo.

JD: "A "2 wt" rod with a 3 weight line is a 3 weight."

It's an overlined 2 weight... by using a line heavier than the one the rod was rated for (the rod was rated to make a standard length cast with 2 weight line), it should cast better at the shorter ranges often needed on a small stream like valley.

JD "A 3 weight is minutely different from a 4 weight. Thus, use a 4 weight, which is the appropriate tool for the job, imo."

3 wt line weighs 20% less than 4w .. not a huge difference, but less weight is less likely to spook a lil' wild trout.

For all of you saying nope, have you even owned a 2 weight ?

I have a 7'3" #2 and a 7'9" #4, both Tfo finesse series rods and there is a considerable difference between the two.

I wouldn't go to a small clear stream without my #2 since I've gotten used to having it. Honestly, for small, low clear streams and small dries and nymphs it is the absolute best rod I own. If I'm only casting 20-30 ft with size 16-18 hares ears, foam ant, griffiths gnat or whatever it is perfect. I don't catch overhanging branches and it hardly makes a ripple on the water.

For some of you who fish larger water I can agree this rod might be useless but for the smaller streams I like to visit it is the right tool.

I know my 2 weight is by far my favorite rod for fishing the trico hatches.

I also mainly use my 2wt for trico fishing, or midge fishing. I can nymph with it, but prefer the extra reach of my 5 wt.

R U thinking of selling it? Give all the specs......

Thanks for all of the good insight guys. I have decided to keep the outfit for now, and will hopefully get enough chances to use it to make it work the money. I got the rod on closeout and the reel on another forum for a really good deal, so I got a lot of bang for my buck and think it is work keeping.

This will make for some really fun pond fishing, light dry fly/ trico rod, and hopefully brookie/ small stream rod. I fish the Gunpowder mostly and have caught very few fish that I wouldn't be comfortable catching with a 2 weight.

Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be able to update the post when I get out with this new set up.

Back