2 pc rods

Vtsalmon

Vtsalmon

After 20 + years of fly fishing I have come to the conclusion that I love 2pc fly rods . Yes they take up more room , but for me I can split them in half all rigged up and put it in passenger side of my truck . When I get to my spot put together and ready to roll . I have a few pc and the are much harder to pack up rigged . 4 pc aren’t to bad but I don’t see any advantage. Plus I feel less ferrule connections give you a smoother rod . I am hoping there are others that feel the same

I will take using a 2 piece over my 8 piece any day of the week. It casts smooth and far but is impossible to line up all of the sections.

I only break my 4 piece rods to two pieces when storing. From using Loomis 1 pieces or Sage and Scott 2 and 4 piece rods, I can't feel the ferrules in the 4 piece rods.

The advantage to the 4 piece rods is travel. A 4 piece rod tube can be a pain on a plane, I wouldn't want to try it with a 2 piece rod. Also my rod don't leave my sight when on a plane.

After 20 + years of fly fishing I have come to the conclusion that I love 2pc fly rods . Yes they take up more room , but for me I can split them in half all rigged up and put it in passenger side of my truck . When I get to my spot put together and ready to roll . I have a few pc and the are much harder to pack up rigged . 4 pc aren’t to bad but I don’t see any advantage. Plus I feel less ferrule connections give you a smoother rod . I am hoping there are others that feel the same
I have 2pc saltwater rods that I am selling, and I won't buy another 2pc. My 4pc 8wt SW rod, 4pc 6 wt FW, and 3pc spin rod are now my "go to" travel rods. I save at least $70 on every air trip because I can carry on both rods in one tube in my backpack. The 2pc rods I keep will be for local fishing only. For me, the financial benefits of having several pieces outweigh everything else.

I have rods in 2, 3 & 4 pieces and I own one 5 piece rod.

However, I own quite a few 2 piece rods rod that were/are only available as 2 piece rods because the builder felt that was the configuration that offered the best representation of the action they were after.

Since I am not a rod designer nor a rod maker, I defer to their expertise. I love my 2 piece rods and I wouldn't trade 'em in a million years, inconvenience be damned.

FWIW - My favorite configuration for rods 7'6" and longer is 3 pieces.

I also prefer 2 piece rods to 4 piece. It gets you on the water quicker and its less parts you got to worry about coming apart while fishing (casting). I drive a pickup truck so storage is no issue. In all honesty I don't see how a 2 piece rod is that difficult to store unless you are backpacking.

All but two of my rods, 2 piece, which is my preference. I have a four piece 5 wgt, but I store it and carry it as a two piece. It's been in that configuration for so long I'm not sure I could break it down into four pieces.
I have a four piece 8 wgt. I didn't build it because I had short notice that I was going to Guam on a business trip. So I brought a 4 piece 8 wgt rod from Cabela's. I was able to pack it in my suitcase, and fished a couple of times while I was there. Last year on my Canadian trip(drive in), I tried packing it in the large plastic container I put my clothes, maps and other gear. It didn't quite fit, so it ended up in my rod tube with the rest of my rods.

In fairness I don't hate 2 piece rods and have a few. I presume that they might have a better action and better performance because of fewer junctions/ferrules, but quicker to get on the stream? Really? Some of you guys must be far slower about rigging a rod up than I am. How long does it take to assemble a 4 piece rod? 10 seconds? Like I said, I don't hate the idea of 2 piece rods at all, but time to assemble them and get on the water isn't really an issue.

I definitely prefer two piece. Quicker to assemble, and more importantly quicker to disassemble and put in the tube if you're trying beat feet due to a storm. Fewer sections to get misaligned, and fewer ferrules to stick if the rod has metal ferrules.

I only have 2 3 piece rods so I guess I have to say I prefer 2 piecers but it's mostly by accident relating to acquiring rods I could afford or rods passed on to me. Since I fish mostly bamboo, less ferrules = less stress in assembly/disassembly.

Kinda shocking to me.

If you like the convivence of a two piece rod just break your 4pc rod into two pieces instead of 4.

You always have the option to break it it into 4 when traveling.

Done!

Oh, and no one I know can tell the difference casting a 4 or 2 or 3 piece rod. They cast well with the number of ferrules they were designed for by the rod maker.

If you are adamant about only fishing 2 piece rods, then epoxy the mid-tip and mid-butt sections together. 😜

...Oh, and no one I know can tell the difference casting a 4 or 2 or 3 piece rod. They cast well with the number of ferrules they were designed for by the rod maker...
There is casting "well" and there is casting "different..."

I don't know a single rod builder who cuts & ferrules their own blanks, including some really well known designers, blank rollers and bamboo craftsman who won't say that given the same blank/taper, the number of sections and subsequently number of joints offers the identical action.

Which one you prefer is up to you, however the late Tom Morgan of Winston & Tom Morgan Rodsmiths was one builder/designer who was adamant in his preference for two piece rods.

Reactions: JGR
If you look at the premium musky fly rod builders right now they are actually making 1 piece rods. Yes the travel aspect is not ideal and more difficult BUT the performance and durability is much greater.

All of my rods except 1 are 2 piece. Its not so much a preference as much is thats what was available when I bought em.

Ferrules have come a long way and more pieces became more common. On a fishing trip my 4 piece usually only gets taken down to 2 pcs though.

I'm mostly 4 pc rods now. My 7' and 7 1/2' dry fly rods are two piece, but my 9' and longer rods are 4 pc. I really like pc for 10' rods. With modern ferrules I don't see any difference casting, but that is not the case with older metal ferrule rods - I feel the extra ferrules. Also had a 6' 6 pc soft fiberglass rod that the ferrules affected, but that is an extreme case.

4 pc are much easier when I travel by air and even in the car space can be tight when I pack a lot for a long camping trip. The volume isn't the issue, but finding a long space may be.

If you look at the premium musky fly rod builders right now they are actually making 1 piece rods. Yes the travel aspect is not ideal and more difficult BUT the performance and durability is much greater.
my musky casting rod is 8´6¨ and a one-piece, it's a peda to move, but I don't notice it casting any better.

my musky casting rod is 8´6¨ and a one-piece, it's a peda to move, but I don't notice it casting any better.
Totally OT, but all of my casting rods are two piece which is why I am reluctant to replace them with anything newer.

However, all I ever hear from the convention tackle crowd is how multi-piece casting rods are "not strong enough, come apart" or other such nonsense, yet guys are landing tarpon and other saltwater gamefish on multi-piece fly rods all the time.

Totally OT, but all of my casting rods are two piece which is why I am reluctant to replace them with anything newer.

However, all I ever hear from the convention tackle crowd is how multi-piece casting rods are "not strong enough, come apart" or other such nonsense, yet guys are landing tarpon and other saltwater gamefish on multi-piece fly rods all the time.
I've only had rods come apart when casting, never when fighting a fish. a big difference when it's bent and pulling, then straight and pulling. I've seen a 65# tarpon landed with a 4# travel rod, so I don't think rods come apart when fighting a fish.

I've only had rods come apart when casting, never when fighting a fish. a big difference when it's bent and pulling, then straight and pulling. I've seen a 65# tarpon landed with a 4# travel rod, so I don't think rods come apart when fighting a fish.
I've never had one come apart, but I have had sections continually turn on my fly rods no matter how much ferrule wax I use. Maybe that comes from wear, I don't know.

Back