2 pc rods

I've never had one come apart, but I have had sections continually turn on my fly rods no matter how much ferrule wax I use. Maybe that comes from wear, I don't know.
Wear or a cracked female ferrule. Close examination with magnification most times will reveal a crack.

A properly fitted male ferrule also should be sanded to match the internal taper of the female, a step frequently omitted on many rods. As a result the contact area between the two is limited to a few spots and as result, the fit is never great to begin with.

That bad fit causes folks to seat the ferrules too hard and many times that causes cracks in the female.

Hands down agree w affection for 2 pc.

Assembling my rig, full form, once I park my vehicle is tedious.

A few years ago , would just keep 4pc rods, "pre assembled" as 2 pc, and store that way in 2pc rod tubes purchased from Cabela's.
This helps ..but I still, admittedly, suck in my prep.

I would give anything to get out of my vehicle, grab my rod and IMMEDIATELY hike to the creek without the preliminaries of putting on my waders, boots, and rigging up before my hike....necessary tedium...
F'ing TEDIOUS MAN!!!
But DAMN...I LOVE the TUG from those Trout.!!

Hands down agree w affection for 2 pc.

Assembling my rig, full form, once I park my vehicle is tedious.

A few years ago , would just keep 4pc rods, "pre assembled" as 2 pc, and store that way in 2pc rod tubes purchased from Cabela's.
This helps ..but I still, admittedly, suck in my prep.

I would give anything to get out of my vehicle, grab my rod and IMMEDIATELY hike to the creek without the preliminaries of putting on my waders, boots, and rigging up before my hike....necessary tedium...
F'ing TEDIOUS MAN!!!
But DAMN...I LOVE the TUG from those Trout.!!
I'm the same way with the Cabelas rod tubes with the reel pouch built in. I leave my rods rigged up. I'll drive to my spot with my waders on completely ready to jump out, put on my vest, throw the 2 piece rod (or 4 piece broken down into only the 2 pieces) together and go to the water. Often I'm walking to the water while putting the 2 rod pieces together even.

I have bad hand tremors so I always put my gear together the night before. I can tie knots better when I'm relaxed at the kitchen table. Trying to tie a knot first thing in the morning at the car is too difficult. The excitement of getting on the water only makes the tremors worse.

I have a 4pc original Scott g906 and a 2pc original Scott g906. I like the 2pc better.

I have a 4 piece original glx 9' 7wt and my buddy has a 2 piece original glx 9' 7wt. I like the 2 piece better.

I have a 2 piece rpl 690 and a buddy has a 4 piece rpl 690. I like the 2 piece better.

I bought a 9' 6wt livingston traditional graphite a few years ago and opted for the 2 piece with spigot ferrule over the 4 piece with tip over butt.

I also have an original glx 9' 6wt 2 piece I fish a lot.

I think i have 8 or 9 6 weights and most often i use a 2 piece rod.

So I guess I'm in the camp that prefers 2 piece rods.

Weirdly I have 5 5 piece rods (8'4 4, 8'4 5, 8'4 6, 8'0 5, and 8.5' 7), and I really like all of those rods.

The bottom line is the the bottom line.....2 piece rods don't sell very well and rod manufacturers are not going to duplicate a rod offering in 2 and 4 piece models.

To back up the above, when I worked at a fly shop, we had quite a few 2 piece models for and sale for a lower price than the 4 piece models. The 2 piecers sat and sat and sat. When the new model of the rod line was introduced all the rods went on sale. The 2 piece models sat there unsold even at a drastically reduced price. We ended up shipping them to outlet stores to be sold.

Back