17 Inch Wild Brookie in Maryland???

I’ve fished this spot a couple of times, my biggest has only been 5 inches… this is a freaking monster by any measure. I’d like to also add, MD does not stock brookies. I know there’s got to be at least a couple people on this forum who know where this is, I can tell you 99.99 percent of them have never SEEN a fish this big from this stream. This is a low fertile, high gradient stream BUT, the one thing going for it is that it does have a “lake” at its mouth. No way it could be lake run right…
Excuse me, but I am a little slower than usual today. I suspect this is sarcasm but if it isn't, would you care to splain why it couldn't be lake run? But please don't give away any secrets. I was never a fan of spoon feeding, whether it be giving of receiving.

Because if it were lake run, it would have to jump over numerous rapids and waterfalls. Sarce has fished here so he should be able to confirm. No way in hell it got that big in that little of a stream.

I finally found the post on Fishbrain. It did come from an all-brookie watershed that has a water supply reservoir. Whether the location provided is truthful or not is unknown. It's rare for a brook trout in that watershed to exceed 9". I know it very well. The stream is shallow but has good woody habitat and outstanding water quality. Very densely populated with brook trout but again, most are under 9", due to lack of depth in the stream. I have seen a few 11-12" caught there but it's very rare. A fish that size would have to come from the lake (which is closed to fishing).

FYI although it was posted in August, the catch date is from January this year. Which aligns better with the bright coloration if the fish.

Because if it were lake run, it would have to jump over numerous rapids and waterfalls. Sarce has fished here so he should be able to confirm. No way in hell it got that big in that little of a stream.
Thanks for the response. I believe you.

There are no waterfalls on that stream that would amount to a migration barrier. That would require a 5+ ft drop and I can't think of any drops higher than a foot on that stream.

I finally found the post on Fishbrain. It did come from an all-brookie watershed that has a water supply reservoir. Whether the location provided is truthful or not is unknown. It's rare for a brook trout in that watershed to exceed 9". I know it very well. The stream is shallow but has good woody habitat and outstanding water quality. Very densely populated with brook trout but again, most are under 9", due to lack of depth in the stream. I have seen a few 11-12" caught there but it's very rare. A fish that size would have to come from the lake (which is closed to fishing).

FYI although it was posted in August, the catch date is from January this year. Which aligns better with the bright coloration if the fish.
Yup. They were smart in that they did not post the exact location, so even if someone here had Fishbrain premium, we wouldn’t be able to find out. Like sarce said, this stream has a ton of little brookies, so if this was a canibal, it makes sense how it got this big. Regardless, this is a one in atleast ten thousand catch.

There are no waterfalls on that stream that would amount to a migration barrier. That would require a 5+ ft drop and I can't think of any drops higher than a foot on that stream.
Shoot, that was what I was talking about, around a foot. Can brookies actually jump over that? I thought it was only salmon who could do so. My bad

Shoot, that was what I was talking about, around a foot. Can brookies actually jump over that? I thought it was only salmon who could do so. My bad
No worries! Yeah, that's nothing to a brookie. I highly recommend visiting any brookie stream in Shenandoah National Park - they have constant 4-5 ft drops and the brookies are above and below all of them. Prior to fishing there, I also thought they were more easily restricted.

Wow, that’s pretty cool, never knew that. Would love to fish Shenandoah and great Smokies. Pa isn’t too far away and I could hit south mountain, can you fish without a license if you’re under 15 in PA?

Wow, that’s pretty cool, never knew that. Would love to fish Shenandoah and great Smokies. Pa isn’t too far away and I could hit south mountain, can you fish without a license if you’re under 15 in PA?
Yep! I think 16 is still the cutoff.

That’s great to know. So about the smokies, they’re part of the blue ridge province just like Shenandoah, Catoctin and south mountain, what enables them to have so much more wild rainbows then us up north? Is it the higher elevation or karst underneath, I really couldn’t find a definitive answer. Do any of you guys know?

whatever its orgin its a dandy specimen, sure why not maryland ?? id bet theres some right here in the good ole rustbelt also they just havent been reported.

Things like this have happened in Maryland but all were in larger creek. State record was in PBPR, and the previous state record caught in the 80’s was actually caught in a balt co stream, sadly they no longer exist in that stream and it’s all brownies now. Some things to note that made it possible, NBPR had trout pens and is a really large river and has a lot of forge. It’s also a tailwater. The balt co stream is underlain by marble and is fairly large, it’s similar to the lower gunpowder in that it has a lot of minnows. It’s also low gradient and has a lot of pools, so it can easily move up and down the stream in search of food. I’ve never fished this stream, but that’s what it looks like from google maps. The stream where the Fishbrain fish came from is small, isn’t too fertile and doesn’t really have depth for a monster like that. Things like that definitely exist in PA, and probably western Maryland still.

Dear Fish Sticks,

The fish are there, you just got to know where to look and when to look for them.

Follow the hill rats after a rainstorm and then you'll know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Wonder what the creek looks like now 🤔

Laying fish on ground after a nice long fight lined up next to net then getting out tape measure and getting fish to stop flopping against rocks and pine needles for a photo shoot might have killed that one, hope not.

Maryland has fish like that, so does WV, so does VA. Entire watersheds within these states are managed as catch and release for brook trout, open or mandated harvest of invasive trout, and no stocking.

Managing these larger downstream waterways that connect many smaller ones for brook trout allows them to become more genetically diverse, have access to more food/grow more, and to live up to 7 years/mid to upper teens in inches.

We could have that quality fish in PA

here is David Thorne from WV DNR on this recipe for success we refuse to adopt in PA.

“They need to be a large, contiguous and well connected native brook trout watershed,” said Thorne. “This is a watershed idea based on a lot of the research I and other people have conducted. Connectivity between the tributaries and main stems is how we see increased growth in fish. They have larger habitat, more food available, and can move to different habitats during different parts of their life cycle.”

Yup, we really need to set our priorities straight. All the states you mentioned have nice watersheds but we continue to stock over them. Why??? It’s a WASTE OF FISH. Instead of stocking those adults in already great wild trout streams, they should stock juvenile fingerlings in improved streams to introduce or reintroduce trout. We should place more value on the FISH rather than FISHERMEN. Because after all, you can have fish without fishermen, but you can’t have fishermen without fish…

I can think of two wild brook trout creeks in central Maryland that could grow a 17incher, and only one of them empties into a “lake.” There are another two or three I have never fished that spill into a different lake. Though they are confirmed wild brook trout creeks, they are tiny.

A 17 inch brook is a real unicorn. I have caught plenty of brookies but I can count on one hand the ones bigger than 12 inches, and they were all stocked fish.

That said, the central Maryland wild brook trout population is remarkably resilient and robust, plus there’s a strong ongoing effort to expand its range. If that effort proves successful, I can envision a time in the not too distant future when we’ll be able to catch 10 to 12 inch wild brookies within a 40 minute drive of downtown Baltimore.

That’ll be a great day, but for now it’s just a nice Christmas wish.

Yup, can’t wait for that day to occur. Right now, you’d be lucky to find a brookie in a blue line in Balt Co, but things are starting to change. This stream isn’t in Balt Co, but that’s great to know that there is a vibrant and strong central md population, keep it safe.

There used to be nice Brook trout in Elk Creek Sullivan Co. Floods ruined a lot of habitat. Does anybody know the reason Elk is closed to fishing above Lincoln Falls?

I can think of two wild brook trout creeks in central Maryland that could grow a 17incher, and only one of them empties into a “lake.” There are another two or three I have never fished that spill into a different lake. Though they are confirmed wild brook trout creeks, they are tiny.

A 17 inch brook is a real unicorn. I have caught plenty of brookies but I can count on one hand the ones bigger than 12 inches, and they were all stocked fish.

That said, the central Maryland wild brook trout population is remarkably resilient and robust, plus there’s a strong ongoing effort to expand its range. If that effort proves successful, I can envision a time in the not too distant future when we’ll be able to catch 10 to 12 inch wild brookies within a 40 minute drive of downtown Baltimore.

That’ll be a great day, but for now it’s just a nice Christmas wish.
I probably wouldn't technically call the stream in question "central" but it's not western, either, if that helps.

Back