17 Inch Wild Brookie in Maryland???

TheBluegillMaster

TheBluegillMaster

I was scrolling through Fishbrain in one of my brookie spots and saw a 17 inch brookie catch from a creek in central Maryland , do you guys think this is real or caught somewhere else?
(If it’s real, that’s a REAL nice catch)
59A036F2 81FD 45D9 AB9C A0B5875674B4

Last edited:
Laying fish on ground after a nice long fight lined up next to net then getting out tape measure and getting fish to stop flopping against rocks and pine needles for a photo shoot might have killed that one, hope not.

Maryland has fish like that, so does WV, so does VA. Entire watersheds within these states are managed as catch and release for brook trout, open or mandated harvest of invasive trout, and no stocking.

Managing these larger downstream waterways that connect many smaller ones for brook trout allows them to become more genetically diverse, have access to more food/grow more, and to live up to 7 years/mid to upper teens in inches.

We could have that quality fish in PA

here is David Thorne from WV DNR on this recipe for success we refuse to adopt in PA.

“They need to be a large, contiguous and well connected native brook trout watershed,” said Thorne. “This is a watershed idea based on a lot of the research I and other people have conducted. Connectivity between the tributaries and main stems is how we see increased growth in fish. They have larger habitat, more food available, and can move to different habitats during different parts of their life cycle.”

Laying fish on ground after a nice long fight lined up next to net then getting out tape measure and getting fish to stop flopping against rocks and pine needles for a photo shoot might have killed that one, hope not.

Maryland has fish like that, so does WV, so does VA. Entire watersheds within these states are managed as catch and release for brook trout, open or mandated harvest of invasive trout, and no stocking.

Managing these larger downstream waterways that connect many smaller ones for brook trout allows them to become more genetically diverse, have access to more food/grow more, and to live up to 7 years/mid to upper teens in inches.

We could have that quality fish in PA

here is David Thorne from WV DNR on this recipe for success we refuse to adopt in PA.

“They need to be a large, contiguous and well connected native brook trout watershed,” said Thorne. “This is a watershed idea based on a lot of the research I and other people have conducted. Connectivity between the tributaries and main stems is how we see increased growth in fish. They have larger habitat, more food available, and can move to different habitats during different parts of their life cycle.”

Dear Fish Sticks,

The fish are there, you just got to know where to look and when to look for them.

Follow the hill rats after a rainstorm and then you'll know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Dear Fish Sticks,

The fish are there, you just got to know where to look and when to look for them.

Follow the hill rats after a rainstorm and then you'll know.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
there are few places you can find teens brook trout in PA, yes. I have caught some 12s and a 14 once. Enjoying catching a large native brook trout is for me the angler, thats fishing.

The multiple benefits of watershed scale management explained by the biologist in quotes in my last post are for the species and not just fish size, thats conservation.

The guys screen name is "bluegilllover69". Pretty sure he is impervious to your suggestions on safe fish handling 🤣🤣

Yep, laying that trout down on pine needles isn't doing it any favors. The origin of that brookie is anyone's guess, but it could easily have been caught in Maryland. Why not?

That is a superbly conditioned brook trout. That it was caught in mid August in central MD is amazing.

Yeah, I got kinda pissed at the handling as well. The thing about this stream though, it does has deep holes, but I don’t think they would be big enough for a brookie like this. What do you think this guy has been eating?

I’ve fished this spot a couple of times, my biggest has only been 5 inches… this is a freaking monster by any measure. I’d like to also add, MD does not stock brookies. I know there’s got to be at least a couple people on this forum who know where this is, I can tell you 99.99 percent of them have never SEEN a fish this big from this stream. This is a low fertile, high gradient stream BUT, the one thing going for it is that it does have a “lake” at its mouth. No way it could be lake run right…

You’re thinking of the gunpowder, in which case you’d be right, this stream does not have brown trout, but it does have a really good population of brook trout. This is a semi popular stream, but don’t want to give it more attention so I won’t mention name (it’s one of the only places I can actually land a brookie lol) I guess he could also be eating sculpins?

Yeah, that’s real conserning. This stream is bordered by brownie stream to the north and to the south, intact the stream below the lake has brownies. Hopefully we don’t see any brownies up there as well

Anywhere there is a lake, or larger river involved, there is a good chance that’s where he came from. Great fish regardless of where lol

Lot of misleading posts on that app. It's possible but it's more likely the app tagged a location close to where the poster's phone was at the time he posted it, rather than the actual catch location. Or the poster intentionally tagged somewhere different. For example there are posts of brown trout from the gunpowder that people drag the catch location point to the Chesapeake Bay. It's easy to manipulate

True.. that makes sense. Last year I tried the free trail, and looked at a spot that had a lot of brownies logged by the same guy. turns out all were logged in the Atlantic Ocean near Africa lol.

Back