10 patterns

tomgamber wrote:

We'll take up a collection at the Jam... :-(

That may not be necessary if I can purchase a few of those poorly proportioned flies off of Festus for $0.54 a piece.

i wouldn't buy any hare's ears off of Festus as they probably smell like labrador spit.

aw damnit. i forgot an ant. ugh.

If'n ya gotsta fish an ant, it's hot enough to be poolside and to hot to fish anyhow. :lol:

i wouldn't buy any hare's ears off of Festus as they probably smell like labrador spit.

How'd you reckon ya'd take a lykin to meetin up with my mascot? :-o :-o :-o :-x

I love th goddard caddis. Floats great and the fish love them. Maybe just a change from the usual elk hair caddis.

scud
bh pheasant tail

rusty spinner
adams
bwo compradun
elk hair caddis
trico(cut the tail off you get a gnat or midge)
sulphur compradun
light cahill
green weenie(why not)

My fishing stuff does not leave my car from March until September(at which point my hunting stuff gradually takes over) unless im using it to fish.

Nobody listed the Muddler Minnow? Repent! And commit immediately to self-flagellation with a five-weight.

Anyway, here's my list:

1) Black Ant - Vince Marinaro wrote that he would choose an ant pattern over any other fly, including his own creation - the jassid.

2) Elk Hair Caddis - Great floatability, great visibility, great fly.

3) Black Woolly Bugger - a true classic if there ever was one, can be a baitfish, leech, etc.

4) Muddler Minnow - perhaps the best streamer on the planet. Gold tinsel body makes it a very good off-color water fly.

5) Adams - another classic, can represent several different insects.

6) Griffith's Gnat - maybe the best midge pattern around, mandatory on some spring creeks.

7) Hare's Ear Nymph - the definitive nymph pattern.

8) Stimulator - Can be a stonefly, a hopper, or a big caddis.

9) Royal Wulff - excellent attractor, made for rough water.

10) Blue-Winged Olive - A lot of olives hatch in a lot of places.

Honorable Mentions:

1) Clouser Minnow - another classic streamer, can be used on freshwater or the salt.

2) McGinty Popper (popper with yellow and black stripes to imitate a bee) - Bluegills and smallies love them. fun top-water fishing.

Back