Zebra Midge

NewSal

NewSal

Just a quick topic of discussion.

To collar or not to collar zebra midges..
As in having a wrap or two of peacock herl, or dubbing before the bead, or even in replace of a bead.

I've tied and fished both ways, and haven't noticed a difference in catch rate between using zebra midges without a collar as with one. Was interested to see others preferences.

I've been tying some chartreuse zebra midges with black ribbing, black bead, and a small amount of black dubbing as a collar in sz 16 that I really like, but not so sure if the fish will really like them too lol.

I use a collar but never use beads. I wrap the body with wire only.
Then add a small collar of usually black heirs ear dubbing. They sink just fine without the bead.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
I use a collar but never use beads. I wrap the body with wire only.
Then add a small collar of usually black heirs ear dubbing. They sink just fine without the bead.

GenCon

Yessir, I have been experimenting the with no bead as well. Black hares ear is exactly what ive been using as well. Nice and buggy.
The quick sinking due to the slim body and lack of buoyant materials is why I tied the chartreuse variety to imitate a green caddis larva, hopefully it works as well as it looks like it will work.

edit: it is interesting that you don't use beads at all though. The ones I tied without beads and the hares ear collar look very buggy, but haven't fished them enough to tell a difference or not. Defiantly look more realistic if anything.

Interesting discussion. Though it sounds like multiple midge imitations are being discussed beyond a zebra midge patterns. I have 1/2 a box of different midge patters and colors. I like them and fish them a lot.

I am going to have to try the dubbing in place of the peacock. The last time I was trying to tie a midge pupa using the copper colored peacock by the eye and it was very frustrating because I would break 2 out of 3 herls because it was so fine and I couldn't be gentle enough.

Al's rat is no more than thread on a hook with a little fuzz behind the eye. Actually, when I've fished them and the fuzz wore off after catching a bunch of fish...they still work.

Ugh...that would be just thread on a hook! :oops:

So, I wouldn't worry too much about exactly how they are tied.

Attachments

• Al's Rat.jpg
    Al's Rat.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
For many years with great success, I've been using Coats and Clark sewing thread and DMC thread for my bodies per the book "Midge Magic" by Holbrook. There are many different colors (more than tying thread) and one can tie a sleek body with Coats and Clark on very small hooks.

I add a collar (the sewing thread), use midge glass bead for heads and also tie in small tungsten beads for lead flies when I'm using a double rig. I will also add in a small wing either with CDC or Dacron.

When fishing these midges (below surface), I will let the fish tell me what they want as I have many different colors and patterns. I will switch out colors and patterns if something isn't working until I find what works. Usually I don't have to change much as I know from experience what color/style midges are active per the various seasons.

I'm with Afish on this one. Al's rat is a great fly. I also use the non beaded zebra midge more often than beaded. My non beaded ones have a pinch of peacock dubbing instead of herl to avoid breakages.

Back