Your Thoughts? Advice

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
gfig19 wrote:
dont make me bring out the size 10 streamers...ok, ok I guess I will dust off the tough 6 wt.

I'll let you know if i land any Bassquatch

Gil...nice seeing you around here. Yeah go check it out....

Dude...if they look plump, that's cause they're eating gemmies.

But didn't know know, there aren't as many wild trout in that stream as we think.

That's what I've been told anyway.

lol yeah, the fisherman that fish it regularly have no idea whats in there. Hammer has been loaded with trout for a good long time.
Sorry to hear about the bass, hopefully they go back to the lake so I can catch them.

Probably the only saving grace is there are no longer enough gemmies available to sustain the LMB population, so they'll eventually die off. The remnant of gemmies that is there will reproduce and eventually come back. Until some knucklehead decides to plant LMB again.. I fished the stretch from the Pumping Station up to the second powerline, between Christmas and New Years, and moved barely a fish. No LMB present in that stretch at that time. Perhaps the PFBC accidentally filled a great white fleet tank with LMB instead of the breeder trout?

I agree with the above. Unfortunately, I won't be returning to this stream for years if the next time I return its similar. I had plenty of reason to keep going back this week but I just can't justify it while the population takes a hit.

See you Hammer guys in 5 years.

"But didn't know know, there aren't as many wild trout in that stream as we think.

That's what I've been told anyway."

Whoops. I meant "But didn't YOU know..."

Mike Speedwell called?

Did he leave a message?

RLeep2 wrote:
I dunno... I'm not familiar with the lake or the stream. But...

If the portion of the stream where you are now seeing the bass has been historically available to them as the inlet of a lake and was agreeable to them in terms of habitat and water temps, they'd have established themselves there to stay a long time ago.

Otherwise, chances are good this is a one time event and the bass will eventually leave and the brook trout will recover (if indeed any real damage has been done to them as a result of this event).

I've run into quite a few isolated LMB and sunfish populations on brook trout streams, usually in larger beaver dams and the like. Brookies and the bass will wax and wane in dominance in the transitional zones depending upon flows and conditions. But by and large, each species has a preferred niche and normally, both tend to stay within them.

Sometimes, we don't have to intensely manage a trout stream like a city park. We just need to give Nature time to sort things back out after an event like the one you describe.

This. ^

If they left the lake because of lack of forage base, they found it.
I understand this event is likely singular and I also have seen the struggles between transitional water but this is differnt than that.
This by my accounts first hand, appears to be a full on migration.

The brookies will recover likely, but it's disappointing to see that the stream could be set back years.

Mike Speedwell called? Did he leave a message?

Yes.
As I said, it wants it's bass back

I may have to stop by there in a couple weeks to see if the big mouths will rise to the blizzard sulphur hatch that place has.

Might want to move that up. Believe it or not sulphurs hatched last night

Back