Your comments to the PFBC

From the PFBC:

The Delaware River is a boundary water shared by Pennsylvania and New Jersey with each state’s border generally following the centerline of the river. Although the majority of the fishing regulations enacted by both states are identical, there are some distinct differences. It is the responsibility of anglers fishing in the river to be aware of each state’s fishing regulations. Anglers regardless of their residency or point of boat launching are required to comply with the regulations of the state in which they are fishing. An angler fishing or in possession of fish between the centerline of the river and the New Jersey shoreline must comply with the New Jersey fishing regulations. An angler fishing or in possession of fish between the centerline of the river and the Pennsylvania shoreline must comply with the Pennsylvania fishing regulations. The reciprocal agreement regarding fishing licenses remains in effect and anglers may continue to fish from shoreline to shoreline in the Delaware River between Pennsylvania and New Jersey using either state’s fishing license. Information on each state’s fishing regulations can be found at www.fishandboat.com and www.njfishandwildlife.com. It is incumbent upon anglers to determine in which state they are currently fishing, taking into account that in areas where the river splits, such as around islands, the boundary is clearly and legally defined to one side of the island or another. All anglers are reminded to comply with each state’s marine registry requirements when angling for or catching anadromous species such as striped bass, river herring or shad in the tidal portions of the Delaware River.

Technically, as far as I know it's always been if you have a PA license you can fish from the PA side all the way across to the opposite bank, you cannot fish from the Jersey side though. The opposite is also true, if you have an NJ license you can fish from Jersey all the way to the PA bank, but cannot fish from the PA side. Both of course banks are open if you have both licenses.

This is what I always had believed. One license was good for both states as long as you were in the water. But a NJ license had no effectiveness if you were bank fishing from the PA bank and vice versa.

You can bank fish or wade fish on either side with either license but must obey the rules of the side you are on.

The same goes for NY & PA and NJ & NY.

However, this wasn't always the case with PA & NJ.

Regarding whether failure to properly display a license would elicit a citation. As a former leo, as long as you have some other legal photo id on you, I could only see that resulting in a citation if it occurred and it were an ongoing issue in a heavily pressured area. A wco isn't going to waste the time writing a citation without first checking firsthand. If they did so, when someone (properly licensed) pleads not guilty and occupies the schedule of the district judge, who will most certainly drop the charge, that wco is then in the crosshairs of the judge.

This is a common theme in all aspects of law enforcement. Even intentional violations like harvesting in c&r sections and not abiding by creel limits are commonly thrown out because some djs either don't care, or are more concerned with getting re-elected. This is a big problem in some Cumberland County municipalities.

The worst part about this, is that it's a downward spiral in most cases. e.g. violation is witnessed, citation issued, plea of not guilty, hearing held, prosecution brings facts forth and proves violation beyond a reasonable doubt, judge doesn't care though (because they'd rather be napping or doing anything but work and is annoyed that their time is being wasted on fishing instead of a "real crime") and tosses the citation, than the judge "warns" the defendant for the future, while hoping the defendant remembers the judge's leniency come election time. Oh, if citations keep arriving, the judge then develops a hard-on for said wco who is just trying to do his/her job.

SteveG wrote:
Regarding whether failure to properly display a license would elicit a citation...

It would elicit a warning. From the PA Code:

§ 63.2. Display of fishing license and verification of license purchase.

(a) Officers designated to check licenses. A person fishing in waters of this Commonwealth or in boundary waters shall show his fishing license upon the request of a waterways conservation officer, deputy waterways conservation officer or other officer authorized to enforce the code or this title under section 903 of the code (relating to delegation of enforcement powers).

(b) Display on an outer garment. It is unlawful for a person required by Chapter 27 of the code (relating to fishing licenses) to purchase a fishing license to fish in the waters of this Commonwealth or in boundary waters unless the person displays the license certificate, a license button or other device approved by the Executive Director on a hat or outer garment while fishing. A warning will be issued for a first violation of this section if the person has a valid fishing license in his possession and about his person and shows it upon request. An institutional license issued under section 2708 of the code (relating to institutional licenses) may be displayed or maintained by the person fishing or by the person attending the person who is fishing. If a license button or other device is displayed instead of the license certificate, the person shall carry the license certificate about his person.

Does PFBC sell senior lifetime buttons? If they do I'd surely like to get one on pin it on my vest.

wbranch wrote:
Does PFBC sell senior lifetime buttons? If they do I'd surely like to get one on pin it on my vest.

No and I wouldn't expect them to.

Not to be morbid but even a 5 or 10 year license could be considered a "lifetime" license if the owner was to expire before the license, yet the PFBC doesn't offer a 5 or 10 year button.

Bottom line, annual buttons (hopefully) are a revenue stream.

Bamboozle,

Not to be morbid but even a 5 or 10 year license could be considered a "lifetime" license if the owner was to expire before the license, yet the PFBC doesn't offer a 5 or 10 year button.

Haha, well I guess I never thought of that. Their loss then considering any one junior of 65 could step out in front of a bus and meet his Maker.

I can't see any good reason for having a lifetime senior PA fishing license button. I mean, I think it is understood that the button, as presently set up is a way for anglers to give the Commission a little additional financial support (at a time when they really need it) and get a snazzy piece of memorabilia in return. I plan to buy one (or more if they'll let me...) every year even after I turn 65.

My view would be that my responsibility to support and invest in things that I approve of does not end or diminish just because I've reached a given age. A few occasional minor doctrinal differences aside, I approve of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission and the work they do.

I thought if they offered a senior button then I wouldn't have to bother about displaying my license. To be 100% frank I don't like wearing the license on my vest because I already have a couple of zingers on the vest as well as forceps and when I shoot line it often gets tangled on the big yellow license. And I won't wear it on the back of my hat either.

I'm okay with buying a button if it is reasonably priced to give the Commission more funding.

Well I looked it up on the PFBC site and the cost of the button is only $5.00.

Will Senior Lifetime License and Multi-year License holders receive a different button? No. As the annual button design is universal for all license types, these license holders who desire to purchase the optional button would need to purchase an annual button for each new license year.

Because I am lazy & incompetent, I've bought several license buttons (one for each fishing hat and a spare) since their inception. The same goes for the S.O.S. button.

I consider the money well spent and the old buttons make "swell" Christmas ornaments.

However... The PFBC (are you listening Mr. Arway?) really needs to come up with a system for buying multiple buttons as a single "Outdoor Shop" transaction and shipping those same multiple buttons as a single item.

The reasoning behind having to make X number of complete transactions including name, CID, credit card info etc., then having EACH button come in a separate package is beyond me, let alone the added expense to the PFBC.

I've attached my license to a lanyard that I wear around my neck and tuck the license in my waders. Been checked several times by WCOs and they didn't have an issue.

I also have my license on a string I wear around my neck, or attach it to whatever fishing bag I may be using. Been checked also, and never an issue.

Not being able to have a digital copy of your license count is archaic.

PA is always the last to get with modern times, hence our archaic liquor laws and such.

“PFBC contracted with a small business vendor for the fishing license buttons. The vendor’s system design can only handle single individual orders. The system generates a mailing label for each button ordered. This one to one relationship-- button to mailing label is necessary for her order fulfillment process.”

fish wrote:
“PFBC contracted with a small business vendor for the fishing license buttons. The vendor’s system design can only handle single individual orders. The system generates a mailing label for each button ordered. This one to one relationship-- button to mailing label is necessary for her order fulfillment process.”

I hope the "small business" isn't dinging you for each package's mailing cost because that would be crazy stupid unless there is some other advantage to giving the contract to a small business vendor beside meeting a quota.

I pay you $5.00 for the button, how much does the PFBC make?

The buttons are offered as a nostalgic option for anglers who want an alternative to wearing their yellow "paper" license. The fishing license button program is offered as a service to anglers and is cost neutral. The price of the button includes all costs such as transaction fees, materials and production costs, and shipping and handling.

fish wrote:
The buttons are offered as a nostalgic option for anglers who want an alternative to wearing their yellow "paper" license. The fishing license button program is offered as a service to anglers and is cost neutral. The price of the button includes all costs such as transaction fees, materials and production costs, and shipping and handling.

Interesting because I once made the comment on a different thread that the PFBC didn't make anything on the buttons (which is what I was told by persons working at the PFBC) and that claim was vehemently denied on this board by a person at the highest level of the PFBC.

While I have no issue with "the neutral cost" thing, I like the buttons a LOT and hope they won't go away in some "extravagance" cost cutting measure.

Back