Young Woman's Creek

Wild_Trouter

Wild_Trouter

I apologize if this has been asked before. I fished the stream today for the first time, and while I thought it had the hallmarks of a viable wild trout stream- I didn't turn up any...only stocker rainbows. What's up with this place? Is it hatchery fish dependent, and what I saw today about as good as it gets? I'm kinda surprised at the lack of wild fish.

I fished it a few weeks ago. I got a fair number of stocker Bows too, but I caught more wild fish than stockies. Mostly Brookies, but a couple Browns too. Where were you fishing? Generally the further up you go the better chances of running into wild fish.

In my personal observations and the studies by Jason, the NCPA Fisheries Manager, the lower half of Young Woman's Creek primarily only supports warm water species. Years of drought, thermal pollution are the root cause.

Swattie...I hit it at three different places in the C&R section. My last stop was on the R. Fk. by Sevenmile Rd. I may go back if I thought I'd run into wild fish, but not for just stocked bows.

I'd say 7mile Rd. and up is where I'd focus on the RB. Left Branch is a little more remote and gets smaller quicker. I start at Shingle Branch on the LB.

I will take another trip up there then. I figured it had to be better than it showed me today. Beautiful stream and surrounding area for sure.

Fish it when there is more water in the creek. It is at less than 20cfs right now. That's low. It fishes better when the flows are 50+cfs.

Back