Youghiogheny River

Queman

Queman

I am planning on making a trip to the Yough between confluence and Ohiopyle this year. I have never fished the river before but it looks like it should be a pretty darn cool trip. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience on that stretch of water and if the fishing was good. Thanks

Awesome place, big river and bigger fish. Are you planning to float or wade? If I'm wading I always take my bike, a lot faster than walking in. Make sure you check the flows and anticipated releases, its often out of control.

I fish it a couple times a week once the flow gets below 600 cfs. Above that, it's just a boat ride, IMHO.

I am planning on wading it, what would do you think would be a fish able flow, 400-500 cfs? I don't have to much experience monitoring flows as I don't fish bigger rivers too often.

If you wait for the flow to drop below 500 you might never be able to fish. The flows get a bump every weekend for the rafting folks so if you're looking for flows under 900 you wont find them on the weekends. I would't hesitate to wade up to about 1000. Just like every river the higher it is the more you have to pick your spots to wade. When the flows drop below 750 it opens alot more of the river up IMO.

Most of the time I would suggest fishing the 2 mile stretch right below the dam, because the water from the damn is released from the bottom, keeping about a 2 mile stretch of cooler water. It's still a little early in the season to be worrying about temperature though. I do know they stock right below the dam pretty frequently as well though.

BillPress wrote:
I fish it a couple times a week once the flow gets below 600 cfs. Above that, it's just a boat ride, IMHO.

That's a good flow for the tailrace section - between the dam and where the casselman and laurel hill creek feed in.
Below that, I consider anything below 1,000 Ok to wade - with the lower the better.
But - as Ryan said before - you'll rarely see the lower stretch of river flowing below 600 CFS

The middle Yough is big and highly varying water. As DFG said 1000CFS is pretty good for wading. I think you can wade fish some spots up to 1200 maybe 1400, but options can be limited. There are some spots you can't wade at 500CFS. If you have a staff,I'd use it. It is not a river to be taken lightly.

Many years ago, warm evening and a smattering of rising fish... I'd worked out to point, that in failing light I couldn't seem to pick my way back from. finally slipping into shoulder deep cold water took my breath away. I tried my best to stay calm and bob and kick my way into shallower water. It was scary to say the least and had I panicked, well who knows?

Keep your expectations in check, it'll likely not be great, but it can be pretty darn good sometimes. If you invest some time to learn the river it can be fun. It does hold some exceptional fish to be sure. Then again sometimes you just walk away shaking your head.
Good luck.

Back