Yough/Meadow Run/Laurel Hill in OCT

C

crs2006

Hello,

I am new to the site, been reading up here the last few weeks. I have made friends with some PA guys transplanted to Columbus OH, and it appears we will be spending more time fishing in your state than ours lol.

Im going to be in Ohiopyle at the end of Oct. Anyone have any insight on how the Yough, Meadow Run, and Laurel Hill are fishing right around now or how they typically fish at the end of Oct? I looked at gauges and temps for the Yough, they look halfway decent, maybe a tad on the low side for the flows. I've gone back to old threads and not found a whole lot about this area in the fall.

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards,

Chris

Because of the relatively cool, wet summer, there were many holdovers this year. Plus they are stocking this week up there. If Laurel Hill and Meadow are too low-- which they may be this time of year -- the Yough should be good to go by the end of the month. You should be in great shape.

We did have trout survive the summer on Meadow Run in good numbers, but probably not on lower Laurel Hill. The upper DHALO section of Laurel Hill probably did hold trout over this summer. With the fall stocking there should be great fishing in the Laurel Highlands this fall. Add Dunbar Creek to your list of streams near the Yough to try this fall, there is a 4 mile FFO section.

I don't have much personal experience with fall fishing on the Yough, but it should fish well in late October.

This is all stuff I like to hear. Thanks guys.

I'm bringing a streamer stick along with my 2wt and 5wt. I've always had good luck on meat late in the year on other streams, I assume the same holds true for the Yough?
Completely new fishery for me, definitely excited. I havn't hit brookies in about 4 years, and browns have been hard to come by in Ohio the past few seasons.

The yough fishes well all year round, but I'd check the usgs gauge before heading there to make sure it's not too high if we happen to get rain. I'm sure you ll see a god bit of insect activity but the most abundant is the caddis in sizes 14-22 sometimes smaller, as well as October Caddis in the evenings. I always carry small rusty spinners (blue Quill), and Bwo olive patterns as well for they could hatch at anytime during the day on the yough. I have heard reports from laurel highland guide services that the streamer bite has been slow, but you never know being that fall is here.

Whats a wade-able CFS? 1000?

Yes generally 1000 although personally I like 900 max at confluence site

October is a great time to fish the yough.
You should have the opportunity to fish dry flies then if you desire also.
Besides the small BWO's previously mentioned, I also fish slate drakes and caddis there in the fall.
And occasionally, have hit nice winged ant falls - even into november.

As for the CFS, I also like it to be under 1,000 - which it usually is in the fall.
I've seen it get as low as 500 at this time of year - and the fishing was terrific. Makes it easier to wade and reach fish.

good luck

A note of caution. Wading can be very treacherous below Confluence, make sure you have a wading staff on the Yough. A size 8 Parachute Adams works great there. Also Indian creek has a delayed harvest that used to get stocked in the fall.

The Upper DHALO of Laurel is holding pockets of fish. Was up there a couple weeks ago and had a lot of success using some terrestrials. Started back behind boy scout camp.

Indian Creek DHALO section off 381 is a mess, beavers/muskrats (not really sure what they are) have destroyed parts of that section damning up pockets causing the stream to actually re-route itself in one spot. Learned how to fly-fishing on that section some 20 yrs ago. Its getting more and more difficult to fish which drives down number of people which would make you think more fish. One thing about That stream is that with the restricted flow from downed trees and animals there is a tremendous amount of sediment buildup which I feel is having impact on the insect life on the stream. I did land a nearly 20inch brownie and a nice brookie way upstream last time there.

I hate delayed harvest area of Indian creek. I call it a ditch because of all the silt downed trees muddy banks etc. yet there are always fish in there at certain places. I just don't like fishing it

@greenghost, I agree, probably won't go back for a long time. The section needs reclaimed if that's even a possibility.

Indian's DH area is not on the fall stocking list this year. Other area special regs areas that normally get a fall stocking are still getting it.

I did land a nearly 20inch brownie and a nice brookie way upstream last time there.

I didn't know there were brownies in Indian Creek?!?!?!? Agreed it's a mess to fish, though never run into other fisherman - at least when I fish which tends to be long after stockings.

I haven't fished the DH area of indian creek for awhile now. But it always was kinda tough to fish in that area - lots of brush and trees hanging over the water, making for tight casting. Guess it's gotten worse

I fished the DHALO section of Indian Creek at least 3 times a week this summer as I worked .5 mile up the road. I seem to be in the minority, but I like the section a good bit

foxfire wrote:
I didn't know there were brownies in Indian Creek?!?!?!?

In fact, the last time I was there about two weeks ago I caught a fat brownie that was proabaly a holdover. Over the years, I've caught brownies, rainbows, stocked brookies and even natives. And like I said before I don't fish it that often and when I do, I rarely stay for more than an hour.

SOME SCATTERED THOUGHTS ABOUT INDIAN:
I do remember more insects years ago. One of the best days I had was many years ago fishing March Browns in early May.

It is very tight, brushy, and silted in places, with plenty of barren stretches. But if you know where you are going, you can certainly jump from spot to spot and consistently catch fish. But fly fishing is always a challenge.

With the exception of the pool at the bridge, I rarely see rising fish in that stream.

It tends to remain relatively cool at certain stretches...
where Camp Run comes in for example.

There were two different reports of 20 inch brownies. On a modest sized freestone stream.

20 inch browns. Big logjams. Coincidence? Probably not.

While it may not be a coincidence, I put the chances of those fish having been stocked at that size or a little lower as great as any chance the stream and logjams grew them to that size. Still, it's a nice enough stream, but one I rarely choose over others nearby.

Just upstream of the DH on Indian is a long stretch of private water with jack dams, benches, and a stream-side path. I can't remember the name of the place off the top of my head. I'd be willing to wager that the private water is the source of some of the big fish caught in the DH.

Back