Yough flows

P

pwk5017

Anybody know if they plan on cooling it at the outflow this weekend? Them dumping 2200 CFS is really killing my plans for the weekend. Is the reservoir really that high that it requires this amount of discharge?

This let's you know their plans, subject to change of course. Looks like not until Sunday and it will still be coming out at 1000 cfs:

Yough Reservoir Forecast

helpful link, thanks!

Where is all this water coming from? We havent had a rain event in awhile and the last time i was there a few weeks ago, it looked like most of the snow was off the surrounding ridges. It was flowing around 1200 then too. Ugh, I really didnt want to have to fish meadow run, but it certainly looks like i will be. Even if they cut it 1,000, I am still not fishing in 2,500+ flows.

The Yough above the impoundment is a very large watershed.

That's a large, deep reservoir behind that dam. And they need to regulate it - that's the purpose of the dam anyway.
Those flows are typical for this time year. And why - for as much as i love that river - I never fish it now. There are many better places to go IMO

Hmm, I guess i dont know where these "better places" are yet : ) It is unfortunate that this cold weather still has the smallmouth hunkered down, because that is what I have close to home.

I am not questioning the need for drawing the reservoir down etc, but my point was we have not had much rain so i was wondering what was attributing for the other 1,000-1,500 cfs of water compared to when i was there 3 weeks ago and the total flow was 1,200. Dam was probably running around 500 cfs then. Anyways, i appreciate the info and th elink.

They monitor both the Yough watershed and the Casselman, both rather large watersheds. If they are expecting snowmelt to come down the Casselman, they may release from the Yough to enable them to cut back when the water comes down the Casselman. I have to think they know what they are doing. I doubt they are trying to just mess with your fishing plans.

There was still a bunch of snow in the mtns that is just making it into the lake... Plus calling for rain all next week

pwk5017 wrote:
Hmm, I guess i dont know where these "better places" are yet : ) It is unfortunate that this cold weather still has the smallmouth hunkered down, because that is what I have close to home.

I am not questioning the need for drawing the reservoir down etc, but my point was we have not had much rain so i was wondering what was attributing for the other 1,000-1,500 cfs of water compared to when i was there 3 weeks ago and the total flow was 1,200. Dam was probably running around 500 cfs then. Anyways, i appreciate the info and th elink.

"Better places" right now, are limestone streams. More consistent flows and temps

Don't believe the forecasted outflow during the rafting season. Check the flow Thrusday evenings. The USACE always bumps up the flow starting 6 PM Friday evening till 6 PM Sunday evening. That dam is not regulated for fishermen, there's too much money in sending rubber in mass down the Yough.

I disagree. I think the ACE manages the outflow to accomodate all interests, first and foremost, flow control. It is tempting to look at every unfortunate flow situation from an angler's point of view-- if you are an angler, that is.

Yeah, I thought that was standard practice for them to raise the discharge on weekends? I also think they do a great job of managing water temps for fish, so I really have no critiques/complaints on the way they discharge water....EXCEPT for this weekend, because I would have really liked to be on the river.

A good friend who fishes the outflow area religiously , said that right now they are at "summer pull" a term he uses often but i really don't understand what that is , i catch fish there but it changes every time i go , difficult for me to figure out. Do any of you folks know what he means by the term "summer pull"?

"Summer pool."

Probably a reference to the normal summer level of water in the reservoir.

Back