yough canoe/kayak float trip.

S

somersetian

I'm getting more into fishing from a water craft this spring/summer and the yough is only 40 minutes from my front door. Everyone I know talks about the white water but are there any stretches good for a canoe/kayak float with fishing in mind? I'm going to do my own research but I know some of you know that river well. Any free first hand info would be great.

The white-water section everyone talks about is above the yough reservoir(upper yough). Although I don't kayak I've seen the sang run road access beyond full with yackers. There are releases from deep creek lake so you would need to check the flow and release schedule. There is good trout fishing there as well but Ive only waded it. The area just below the reservoir (middle yough)is confluence to ohiopyle, very good fishing with some true giants. I've floated, biked and waded this section. There are large waterfalls at ohiopyle so you want to make sure you get out at the access. The section below ohiopyle(lower yough) I've never fished, I've heard things but don't have any first hand knowledge.

I believe the middle section is class I and II rapids. Below Ohiopyle it becomes violent again with class II through IV. Wouldn't think the lower section is user friendly unless you are very experienced in a boat.

like said, upper river, tight and technical, very difficult, experts only. middle, below confluence, some rapids, doable in a canoe or kayak if ya have a clue about rowing, lower yough, NO, not in a regular canoe or recreational kayak, lots of rapids, and many places to DIE!!
even the middle yough is big water, people have died here also.

If you want some trout or mostly WW, try below Connellsville. Google- Dawson, Layton, Cedar Creek Park. Much more docile.

Back