Yet another new tick borne virus

IT's time to get out the DDT. Not really, but last year I read that PGC did a study at some controlled burn sites, and what they found was that 86% of the ticks were kill in the burns. I'm not sure of the methods, but that's what they reported.
Chickens and turkeys eat ticks, so if you have turkeys nearby it's a good thing, if you can have chickens where you live that's a plus, and you get the benefits of having fresh eggs whenever you want them.
Showering with a hot shower after being outside will kill most of the ticks on you before they transmit the disease, and washing you clothes of hot water kills the ticks left on clothes.

A hot shower does not kill ticks. Showering and using soap and even a scrub can wash off unattached ticks. Even a hot shower is very unlikely to dislodge attached ticks. Using a good permethrin solution on your clothing (not your skin) will kill and repel ticks almost immediately on contact (and permethrin dries scent free.) For a tick to transmit most diseases like Lyme's the tick needs to feed for several hours. We train versatile hunting dogs all spring & summer long, you don't even want to know how many ticks we often encounter on an almost daily basis.

I came home from work today and did my normal thorough (?) tick check. After that, a good hot shower. About an hour later while sitting on the couch watching the Phillies try to play baseball I found one (an adult deer tick) in me directly behind my left elbow (an easy spot to miss one on the tick check). I immediately removed it and got the entire tick out because it had not been into me that long. I always feel good about getting them out in a timely manner. I really don't know exactly how long is too long but being aware of my exposure to them and doing the best I can is about all one can do. I guess the extra tick spray after lunch didn't make much difference.

Anything with permethrin in it is a wonderful product if ticks are concern.

JackM wrote:
By the way, on the serious side, I have to assume that Lyme's is a bacterial infection, and if not, why do antibiotics seem to work.

Yes, the bacteria is Borrelia burgdorferi.

JackM wrote:
On that same vein, the bourbon virus cannot be fought with antibiotics. Thus, as with other viruses, it can only be prevented through inoculation, as mentioned, or its symptoms can be ameliorated through symptom relief. In conclusion, protection or relief from the bourbon virus requires ingesting or injecting bourbon. Too bad I'm afraid of needles.

I don't know enough about this virus to know if any of the antivirals are used for it or not. I recommend ingesting the bourbon rather than injecting it ;-)

Last year was like magic. Saw a few. Not many. Not a normal year. No idea why.

Glad to see this post. It reminded me that this year will probably be back to normal. That sucks. Constant vigil.

jifigz wrote:

Permethrin apparently does wonders on ticks (never used it, at least not that I'm aware of), but it is also extremely toxic to fish, and other aquatic life, cats and bees. I assume that the small amount that might rub off a person while fishing or during application would not wipe out a watershed but it's worth being aware of some of the downsides to this particular pesticide.

salmonoid wrote:
jifigz wrote:

Permethrin apparently does wonders on ticks (never used it, at least not that I'm aware of), but it is also extremely toxic to fish, and other aquatic life, cats and bees. I assume that the small amount that might rub off a person while fishing or during application would not wipe out a watershed but it's worth being aware of some of the downsides to this particular pesticide.

Kevin,

Are there any other options out there in the form of repellants that you are aware of to repel ticks? I am not referring to casual use of an outdoor enthusiast, I am referring to an occupation that exposes a person to ticks where depending on the location of the job as many as dozens, sometimes hundreds, of deer ticks are encountered on a daily basis.

My two cents from a guy whose had Lyme 3 times.
And have had a 15 year battle with it's symptoms

Doxy is a rather mild drug.If you pull a tick out of your skin(notice Isaid"out" not 'on"),GET ON DOXY.Period.
If your doctor will not prescribe it ,get it in online without a prescripton

As a person who has been sick with Lymes disease for 3 years now, let me say, it is a game changer ! Has totally changed my life. First of all, it is an extremely complicated disease with alot of myths and false information. The problem is most doctors are not educated on it. I became sick for life because my doctor gave me the standard Elisa test which is completely unreliable. When the test came back negative, she did not give me antibiotics, so now I suffer with it everyday. The western blot is a much more reliable test. Also , there are different bacterias involved in different lymes diseases. There is also bartonela and a host of other tick borne diseases. I have a book thicker than War and Peace written by a tick doctor and the information will only confuse you more. You dont need a "bullseye" target to get Lymes disease. It doesnt need to be feeding on you for 36 hours for to be infected. I expect and hope alot of research and information in the coming years, because right now it is a pandemic.

I was working in MD today and must have picked up this critter in the AM. As I was eating lunch in my truck I noticed it crawling around on top of the console. It is a female Lone Star Tick. Sorry about the blurry picture but these kinds of ticks are very active and move very fast and it is actually tough to get a decent photo of one because they rarely stop moving.

Attachments

• Lone Star Tick 1.JPG
    Lone Star Tick 1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 5
If you have dogs, make sure to use flea and tick medicine. Good deterrent for both. If you haven't already, call your vet and ask for your dog to be tested, never hurts. 3 years ago we were too late for one of our standard poodles and by the time we noticed his symptoms, the Lyme had done too much damage and he died of kidney failure. It was a terrible experience and hope that no dog owner would have to go trough that. Our other standard has tested positive but never developed symptoms but we keep a close eye. Symptoms include lack of appetite, dry nose or mouth, limping and easy exhaustion and weakness.

Pulled a tick off me this morning that had clearly been on for a couple days. Be vigilant. I recommend the Tick Key. A very useful removal tool.

Everyone in our house gets ticks every year, and family have given us all the plasticky tools. Tick key, tick twister, etc. None of them work, well, I guess they only work on the larger ones, which are a minority around here. The V just doesn't get small enough for the smaller ticks, they slip right through.

A magnifying glass combined with a good pair of tweezers works, though.

PatrickC wrote:

I don't think you should be an a$$ to your doc, ...

If I wasn't, he'd think I was really sick.

Where did the phrase "You're beginning to tick me off" come from?

Pcray, you are correct that smallish ticks sometimes slip out. But of all the things I have used it has been most effective for me. Whatever you use, make sure to get it all. Got my dose of doxy today.

Back