Yellowstone/Teton Stream Suggestions

and just saw some ones nickname-don't forget your wooly buggers-they work great in black,brown and olive.Wet fly style with a tandem fished around holding spots behind and in front of rocks,etc..on fast rivers like the Madison.

Keep in mind unless you are scouting smaller streams [plenty of them,lots of fish and fun] you will be dealing with big water,heavy flies and WIND..[other reason morning and evening fun to fish,no wind] so its no place for neat and petite as I found out the first time I stepped into the Yellowstone with my favorite 5 foot letort bamboo-I cried in frustration and headed for Baileys to get a real rod.

Since the rig is going out ahead of time I figured a 4,5,6 weight in 9 foot and possibly a short pack rod as well. I collected a bit of extra gear over the years so I don't have to buy much. All can ship in the trailer and I can fly light.

7 or 8 9footer fast action shooting heads if you are going to be wading big rivers like Yellowstone ,Missouri and casting big streamers ,it takes long casts to get in the holding waters many times but 6wt. 9 ft. or 8 1/2will do fine for 90 % that time of year.5wt. 81/2 or 8 ideal for ruby,Gallatin etc.. and a small rod for those small streams that few bother with but are fun to fish--
The wind can be a pain in the butt if you are under gunned-just no fun.A 9ft. 6wt.. much easier to tandem fish those bigger nymphs.You will be lobbing them more traditional casting but would say go with what you have,experience it and next year you will have a better feel.
and don't forget those skating spiders--
have fun--and remember-most fishermen follow the crowds thinking that must be where the fish are but out there that's only where the crowds are. the fish are everywhere.

I use a saltwater 6 wt with a fighting butt for most of my fishing. Franklin, PM me an email address and I will get you some pictures of what I use for streamers.

Looks like you got lots of replies to your query, and about half of them appear to be pretty much on the money. Who knows, a lot can change between now and the time of your trip, so I would want to seek out local advice when you get there, and no matter where you go or how you'll fish it's hard to not have a great time there.

John
(living on Yellowstone, and other area rivers, for many summers and still tiring to figure it all out)

mt_flyfisher wrote:
Looks like you got lots of replies to your query, and about half of them appear to be pretty much on the money. Who knows, a lot can change between now and the time of your trip, so I would want to seek out local advice when you get there, and no matter where you go or how you'll fish it's hard to not have a great time there.

John
(living on Yellowstone, and other area rivers, for many summers and still tiring to figure it all out)

I certainly will be checking local reports out prior to the trip and visiting some shops first thing when I get there. All inputs and suggestions are very welcome.

I'm gathering up a list of flies that I need to tie and am getting started on that now. I have quite a few of the standards tied but not the area specific ones. I've pulled a few off area shop sites and related forums. Again, any suggestions are appreciated.

Back