Yellowstone/Teton Stream Suggestions

franklin

franklin

I just booked two weeks in the Yellowstone and Teton areas. I'm starting to put together a list of streams I want to hit. Any suggestions that I should include? I'll be there first two weeks of July.

I've been away too long [16yrs] so don't know the dates streams open etc.. but I loved the Lamar,firehole[early in the mornings while the dudes slept] Madison in the park but google up guides in the area,they can clue you in to the snow pack .dates

Check out this forum. You may have to register to do a search. There are many regional boards here. Maybe post in the Rocky Mt. board or the General.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/

The snake under the tetons is classic western waters and the finespotted snake river cutts are beautiful. I also like the firehole but park then walk a while before starting to fish. south fork of the snake is very nice but a drift boat is needed to fish it.

Grays River- snake River Cutts , Smiths Fork- Bonneville Cutts , Horse Creek - Colorado River Cutts, Gros Ventre - Snake River Cutts

There are many more famous waters- I fished pretty much them all but they won't be any better than these. Remote and beautiful with virtually no one around.

Took me 5-6 trips in and around the area to come to this conclusion but can't really go wrong.

I'll second the Grays River.
Plus, I spent a day skating flies on the Teton River that I'll remember for a life time.
Great area.

Hey Franklin---don't know how familiar you are with the area but that is a tricky time of year ,depending on snow pack,runoff etc.. some of the fishing can be on fire and some can be "you should have been here last week or next week" so you will at least want to check with local shops when you get there.

pete41 wrote:
Hey Franklin---don't know how familiar you are with the area but that is a tricky time of year ,depending on snow pack,runoff etc.. some of the fishing can be on fire and some can be "you should have been here last week or next week" so you will at least want to check with local shops when you get there.

Been there but haven't fished when there. Stars just aligned on the first half of July. Essentially getting free airfare, car, and lodging. So I'll have to work with whatever conditions at the time.

Any suggestions on flies I should be taking? I want to tie as many ahead of time as possible. Especially streamers. I will check with the shops. I've been into Jacklins and Lilly's a couple times but never got the chance to fish.

Salmon flies nymphs and dries,also royal wulffs[sp] and other dries of that ilk but google up Dan Baileys and other shops in the area-- think big and don't be too fussy -rubber legs and the like do work..
Hope for some overcast and wee bit rainy days[can happen ] and you can get some dry fly fishing that NO ONE will believe [50 +]on Royal wulffs- and they are so much fun to fish.
If you are going to be wade fishing with out a guide do not make the mistake of getting caught up on white fish flats-you might think you found fish heaven and spend a day or two before you realize you are wasting valuable time.. also early morning ,late evening[light til ten] will be the time for Western size fish,but the guides will take the dudes out during the day[easier for them] and dudes and dudettes will be thrilled with a mess of 15 inchers while you will be targeting fish weighed in pounds.
Personally I rate cutthroats as the least interesting of the trout as they don't have the fight of rainbows or brains of browns but can be interesting for a day or two as a novelty as can grayling...
I fished the north end of park as I lived in Bozeman -do under stand many streams south end and lower don't have salmon fly but do have another stone fly that you will need to imitate[grey stone I believe but not sure]

Sorry-missed the streamer part-not the best choice that time of year-sept. till nov. when they are the fly.. Nymphs- big as stone flies are at the max. then-2 and 4s
If you are going to take some streamers evening fishing with 2 and 4 black marabou or even white can be fun,but western dry and nymphs are better bets for numbers that time of year..

If you are going to fish firehole ,Henry's Fork or some other finesse streams during the rise you will need the appropriate flies of course but I never bothered with them.Too many dudes-any time I could see other fisherman it was too crowded for me.
when I mentioned firehole early in the morning I would use a size six or eight light spruce fly streamer under the banks or around weeds and get some really nice catches and be the only one fishing even though it was right in the heart of the park-in the afternoon it would be crowded.lol
Don't know if the idiots removed all the browns and replaced them with cuts in the park-stupid move but naturals and easier to catch.
Strongly recommend a guide for the first or second day--worth it.

I'll be at Madison Campground for part of the second week. From what I read that area may start heating up by then. Most of first week in Jackson. While I'm down there I'll monitor conditions. If it's hot I'll run up to Lamar area.

Right now the locals believe they will have above average snow pack which could result in a late spring. This would work out great as the Madison/Firehole/Gibbons may still be fishing well.

Thanks for the info Pete.

Yeah-won't know til later the runoff but first two weeks of July can be the very best nymphing/dry fly fishing of the year or just past the prime-should be good fishing any way and part of the only month of the year where we didn't have snow-but it can be nippy in the morning.
If you hit the Salmon flies on the Lamar you will never forget it-fish the current seams with dries, banks with nymphs and its so good I won't say as you will say liar,liar.[Think triple digits]
remember,they are stone flies and will crawl to the bank to emerge,the dries are all spinners.

PM me closer to the time you are here. I live right by the Henrys Fork. Maybe if schedules work out i can get out and fish with you for a day.

Some possible options for you.

some of the waters inside the park (very busy that time of year)
henrys fork
souh fork of the snake
(warm river) my favorite. (idaho)
Birch creek (Idaho)
***** Creek (idaho)
Teton River (idaho)
Big Elk creek Idaho

Pack plenty of streamers. Contrary to what people say, they produce all day long whether it is spring summer or fall. Out west, I have found that the fish seems to always be there and the usually will take a well presented streamer. Hoppers and terrestrials should be in full swing by then on many waters. If you fish the south fork of the snake you might get into salmon flies (be careful this river is not the safest to wade) I do not fish it unless i am in a boat.

jabink84 wrote:
Pack plenty of streamers. Contrary to what people say, they produce all day long whether it is spring summer or fall. Out west, I have found that the fish seems to always be there and the usually will take a well presented streamer. Hoppers and terrestrials should be in full swing by then on many waters. If you fish the south fork of the snake you might get into salmon flies (be careful this river is not the safest to wade) I do not fish it unless i am in a boat.

What streamers and what sizes would you recommend? Plenty of time for tying while I'm waiting for spring. Thanks for the recommendations.

Flies are not sophisticated.

I use a big foam chubby w prince nymph dropper- I'll dc the dropper on mountain streams as that becomes not nessesariy.

Large slump busters in tan, olive and black and have done fine.
Never have done real well on the Warm River. The upper Teton is a meadow type River- easy fishing for eager smallish rainbows.

Your sulphers will work for pmd hatch. Salmonflies were over by July last year.

I agree on streamers-my favorite fly--
however if the run off is still on not the best at that time but worth bringing ... The southern area ,and rivers like the Madison above the west fork might be summer low and clear.
If you aren't planning on night fishing the light spruce fly in 2-4-6 is as good as it gets as nothing looks more,and acts more like a sculpin when in the water.Swims exactly like one.Not good for nite fishing because of wing wrap.Dark spruce also good.
Muddler marabous in black great evening fly in slightly off color water-4s.The old reliable muddler works great as a two fly rig.
Towards the end of my 30 years in Montana I settled on matukas as I was mainly a nite fisherman and you didn't have to bring them in every cast to check for wing wrap.Black or olive rabbit matukas.
Since you are going to be there those two weeks and if its a heavy snowpack, dark and weighed.Except for muddler marabous you will need to get them down quickly-the MMs can be fished subsurface in the evening and some big old gals will nail them if you work them over their holding position.Fun.
Others will suggest other patterns ,they all work but avoid some of the exact imitation types which look so good to fishermen but are a beast to get down to the fish because they are so bulky and need so much weight to get down on the bottom .
I have been away for 16yrs so maybe some one will suggest some great new streamers,however you will do fine with matukas either rabbit fur or feathers.
In general if you like to nymph fish ***** creek and montana stone in 4,6 will do great,fished tandem on salmon fly waters-golden stones on none salmon fly waters.Talking big rivers.
Interesting side note--no sculpins or any other prey fish in the firehole but streamers still work if used at right time.

Agree that flies need not be sophisticated.

Meaty streamers as mentioned above.

Stimmies are great as indicator flies or fished alone. They can look like hopper and/or salmon flies. Also tie some of those bigger foam flies with rubber legs for the same purpose like these.

Rubber leg stoneflies and nymphs also work well too here. A simple pattern is a Girdle bug (called a rubber legs out there) it's just a chenille body with rubber legs.

For dries a PMD is pretty much a sulphur and a BWO / Baetis is tied the same as in the east.

Last year a purple haze dry fly seemed to work well out there. It's a different pattern in the East, but out there it's essentially an Adams tied with a purple body.

If you're more of a hatch matcher, here's a Hatch Chart for the rivers in the area.

Since you have two weeks, I would sample a whole bunch of rivers/lakes in both the TNP and YNP. Check on flow and conditions when you get there and talk to the fly shops about where to and how to...

Enjoy your trip and be sure to look up at the scenery when your out on the water...it gorgeous! Enjoy!

forgot about the girdle bug-you bet it works- embarrassingly so-lol
and if you are staring up at the grand teton's don't dwell on it or you might forget what you are there for.

"For dries a PMD is pretty much a sulphur and a BWO / Baetis is tied the same as in the east." wasn't into dries on Henrys,firehole but I believe the PMD was the fly of choice.
and yes Adams are a good fly on big rivers when they clear as there are many caddis.

Back