Yellow Creek - Bedford County

3oh4

If anyone could keep me out of harms way I would appreciate it...

Trying to expand my streams in PA and was thinking about fishing Yellow Creek in Bedford a time or two. Researched the stream/location a ton and I keep coming across the FFO section (as soon as I see that it should say BIG CROWDED SECTION hyphenated beside FFO lol). I like to get out and cover water to explore streams and get to places a lot of people over look my need of help is simple - where all can I access the stream and cover water and not run into private sections of the stream?

Broken the stream into a couple sections that interest me:

Loysburg downstream to just below the New Frontier Restraunt there is a bridge - looks decent?

Then from that bridge all the way downstream away from the road to where Maple Run dumps in and the next bridge - that is a long section away from the road (Jacks Corner Road) - from what I understand the FFO section starts at some point in there?

Then from there the stream is everywhere throughout/behind people's houses along Raystown Rd.

&

another that interests me is along Price Hill Rd. through what looks like maybe farm land/fields

Any help keeping me off posted land via on here or PM would be greatly appreciated!!! Not looking for honey holes just trying to find places to cover water. The finding trout is easy, getting a ticket and losing a Sage Rod < not so much.

Thanks
Zak

You can access and fish most of the water from Loysburg (below the meadow in what is called the Loysburg gap) downstream to just below Maple Run and Jacks Corner Rd. (Maybe a hundred yards downstream of the road is open before you hit posted property). This water is general regulations and approved trout water except for the FFO section encompassed within that is clearly posted as such. Be courteous of where you park and try to avoid peoples yards and you will likely have no problems.

Like you, I often fish the water outside the FFO during hatch season to avoid crowds. There is a good population of wild browns in the stream and the State stocks brown and rainbow trout on top of them. Maple Run is stocked with Brook trout and a fair number of them make their way into Yellow Creek as well. Good luck!

Downstream of what I've reported I haven't scouted well enough to help you out, but I believe it is a patchwork.

albatross - I appreciate it. I cannot get quality information below the FFO section kind of like you said. I am afraid you are right about it being "patchwork" which can make things hairy.

Thanks again!

Above Loysburg, there is un-posted and undeveloped land. I don't know if barbed wire fences mean the same thing as NO TRESPASSING signs, but I do know they are tough on waders. :cool:

I contacted the visitors bureau in Bedford a guy who fishes the stream said above Loysburg is basically off limits.

Barbed Wire w/ waders on is like navigating a mine field in WW2!

I have found ZERO information on fishing below the FFO on Yellow - typical; either 90% of the fisherman fish 20% of the stream or worse - private water.

About a mile or 2 below the FFO section there is a short piece of water that opened a few years ago. I'm not sure if it is still opened, as it is private land, but it is about 1/2 mile long if i recall correctly. If your on Jack's corner rd heading to the FFO, there is a right turn (yellow creek rd.) that takes you to a bridge. If the situation is the same as it was two years ago when i last fished it, you can fish upstream of the bridge only on the left side for about 1/2 mile. If you check out google maps you should see where it is. Most of yellow downstream of there is owned by Donny Beaver I believe.

I've got a pretty good gauge on things now between you guys and some other sources - I am thankful.

Hopefully I can find maybe a few tips on the stretches Price Hill Rd. and Plank Rd. - couple secluded stretches. Other than that I should have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks again!

If you're worried about crowds, go on a weekday if you can swing it.

I haven't fished the lower part of the stream for about 10 years or so now. I'm talking about the section from the covered bridge down to it's junction with the raystown branch.
Anyway , it used to all be open down there.
Although I heard just this past year, that the area right around the covered bridge is now posted.

I thought the Beav owned a stretch below the FFO for the SRC sports to chase pellet hogs in. Haven't fished the Loysburg Gap stretch for a few years. Great water in there. Just have to tolerate the trucks barreling down the highway 100' away.

SRC - or whatever it's called now - used to control 2 sections of the creek downstream of the FFO area. They were above and below the small bridge on yellow creek road - with the short open section just above the bridge that evw659 mentioned.
Several years ago now, they gave up the lease on the section below the bridge. And it is/was open again.
So, I believe they just control the one section upstream of that bridge.

The loysburg gap section was all open to fishing. But it is mostly pocket water

Fished Yellow yesterday, did well I think?

Fished by the Frontier to start picked up fish consistently by my car and upstream for 40-50 yards; realized I needed a smaller rod. Went back to my car switched rods and then worked downstream all the way to where you can see the red cable - managed only one fish. Didn't make much sense to me to hook up like crazy then nothing downstream.

Then ventured to the FFO section (no wonder no one fishes anywhere else lol) - I can't remember the last time my feet and hands weren't killing me after fishing. I have no aches today, very easy access.

Probably landed close to 20, hooked up or missed another 8-10. 4-5 weak bows in the equation - sad they find there way in there. Sulphurs trickled off all day in the drizzle then about 2 0'clock the 16s finally went off pretty good and the fish were all over them. I think my biggest brown was about 14, mostly 8-12s but it was fun.

Only a hand full of people seen on the section throughout the day, but I can't imagine that section during the weekend or during an evening hatch - probably not much fun.

Thanks for the information - greatly appreciated!

Zak

Back