Yellow breeches flys?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Thinking about hitting the YB tomorrow morning. What flies should I be armed with?

If you're going to the catch & release; green weenies, sucker spawn/eggs and beadheaded softhackles fished dead drift with a swing at the end worked well on the fresh stockies for the kids in the CVTU Youth Camp this week....midges happening above the dam as usual and ants & beetles will probably also be productive in tight to the overhanging cover.

Saw some lighter mayflies which I'm guessing are the start of the cahills and few caddis coming off in the evenings with some splashy rises, but nothing steady just yet.

If you are going to fish the water at Allenberry, dare to be different. I like fishing the downstream end of the C&R area and working my way back up to the dam. Fish tight to the shore. You will be surprised how many fish are lined up and willing to take dries. While all the flies suggested so far are good, there are plenty of streambred browns who have seen it all. I like #16 Red Humpies, #16 Royal Wulffs, #16-18 Irresistables, #18 Rat Faced McDougal, #18-20 Cinnamon and Red Ants, #16 Houseflies. Underneath, you can't beat a #14 Honeybug in pale yellow, light olive or cream either sight fishing in the shallow runs or under an indicator in the deeper water. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wildtrouter,
Do you fish those dries blind or to risers only? I've never fished that section, rather I always seem to end up upstream of the dam.

A morning hatch of olives could happen so deff have some olives in sizes 14-22

Sipe:

Really, the answer to your question is both. There are fish that hang out in water just deep enough to cover their backs along the shore at the bottom end of the C&R. Sometimes you see them just laying there so I buzz a dry over their head and get them to take. Other times, you will see fish actively rising. I tend to think that the fish in the lower stretch are very opportunistic, but they are also very smart given the high density of streambred browns. Stealth and presentation are key. If you haven't been down there, I'd suggest you give it a try. Likely, you will also have more elbow room to go with better fishing.

Some good advice in above posts.

I'd add that a small, sinking ant has clinched the deal on a lot of picky fish in YB for me. Also, if you get a lot of rises and you can't seem to hook the fish...it's not you. By summertime, Allenberry trout can be maddeningly difficult to hook on surface flies. When this happens, it's best to drop 'em a nymph or wet ant.

Back