Yellow breeches fish photo: Anything seem strange here?

Hooker,

You are reminding me of my youth, had several farm ponds within an easy bike ride. Spent many spring and summer evenings into dark throwing topwater for bass. One pond had an island that was at about max casting distance. We would try to land a moss mouse on an overhanging branch and let it plop into the water. If you had the patience to let it sit for several seconds it was almost a sure thing to get a largemouth to explode on it. In the dark, it was pure nirvana for a fish loving teenager.

Hooker,

You are reminding me of my youth, had several farm ponds within an easy bike ride. Spent many spring and summer evenings into dark throwing topwater for bass. One pond had an island that was at about max casting distance. We would try to land a moss mouse on an overhanging branch and let it plop into the water. If you had the patience to let it sit for several seconds it was almost a sure thing to get a largemouth to explode on it. In the dark, it was pure nirvana for a fish loving teenager.
I did the same I grew up in a town with 4 surrounding golf courses and many new developments with ponds that were retention basins that never went dry. In high school summer evenings were spent cutting through backyards and fairways and fishing unweighted power worms and rapala skitter pops on top. We would have 50 fish nights a piece with largmouth and we would occasionally get a scary large channel cat on the power worms. Good memories.

Night fishing is a peta and a novelty to me unless your fishing a larger water from a craft or shore where there are no obstructions. It can be done but I will leave that to the younger anglers. Heck , I prefer daytime hatches to the ones at dark. Also, ( I haven’t read the books) but calling a hatchery trout a “golden” is an abomination. Let’s stick w Palomino.

Night fishing is a peta and a novelty to me unless your fishing a larger water from a craft or shore where there are no obstructions. It can be done but I will leave that to the younger anglers. Heck , I prefer daytime hatches to the ones at dark. Also, ( I haven’t read the books) but calling a hatchery trout a “golden” is an abomination. Let’s stick w Palomino.
Yea the “golden trout” title is sarcasm and somewhat of a comedic metaphor for anglers putting those tragic manmade yellow rubber bricks on a pedestal. He basically makes the point you just did in the book.

Over the years we've had several of these threads in which an angler gets a rainbow in PA with the faint red chin marks and wonders whether they have a cut-bow.
These red chin stripes are common on rainbows in PA.

Also, when his book came out Halverson briefly joined our forum and contributed some posts discussing his book (which is excellent, as noted).
I agree, and in previous discussions (years ago) there has been significant skepticism about cutthroat DNA.

I had caught several wild ones over the past 30+ years with the rainbow cut markings.

Golden trout, palomino trout, tracers. Call them what you want. I dispise those things.

You can see them 100 yds away. People will stay in one spot and fish all day for that one fish, catching ( and usually keeping) other unseen fish that never would have been caught were it not for their persistence after the tracer. (So named by my circle of friends because they are a beacon as to where other trout are located).

Usually the tracer goes uncaught.

Our directive is that they are to be immediately dispatched upon landing.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

crossing cutthroat trout with rainbows doesn't create a hybrid. it produces fish that can reproduce, thus diluting both species genes. I'd say the pictured fish is such a cross.

Back