Yellow breeches fish photo: Anything seem strange here?

Fish Sticks

Fish Sticks

Caught what first appeared to be a standard stocked rainbow on the breeches this morning and noticed something very strange.

Attachments

• DEC3526A-82D0-44AC-99D4-2228676B16AB.jpeg
    DEC3526A-82D0-44AC-99D4-2228676B16AB.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 165
  • 8AB758DF-FCBA-4ED4-A8C6-4B729E3F192A.jpeg
    8AB758DF-FCBA-4ED4-A8C6-4B729E3F192A.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 146
  • B31DEA9A-12ED-416E-8412-9B05B8DB7447.jpeg
    B31DEA9A-12ED-416E-8412-9B05B8DB7447.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 150
Same fish from an angle you can’t see the underside.
A1B7F3D8 D024 4F6C B28D EAE0074B6269

Yea the two have been historically hybridized so much that only Jimmy Hoffa, Gina Haspel, Kaiser Soze and the Kookaid man know whats in that DNA. But yea see like someone is stocking 1 parts cutt 9 parts Bow in the yeller breeches.

Last year, or maybe the year before I caught several like that in Lehigh County in stocked streams. I'm sure they were state stocked fish. Like was mentioned above, they must somehow have some cutt DNA in them.

Interesting, mcCloud river for what I have read in the book “An entirely synthetic fish” is the primordial ooz of rainbow trout bucket biology as far as spreading them east of their native range. It was federally funded at the time if I remember correctly they obviously had no idea of the repercussions.

Great book. Eye opening in the sense that it makes you appreciate that when you catch one of those stocked rainbow trout your holding something so far removed from natural selection, evolution, the ecosystem where it was found.

You will occasionally see the same feature on Big Spring Rainbows but far more pronounced.

In the Yellowstone River canyon in the Park, we caught many hybrid "cutt-bows."

Interesting, mcCloud river for what I have read in the book “An entirely synthetic fish” is the primordial ooz of rainbow trout bucket biology as far as spreading them east of their native range. It was federally funded at the time if I remember correctly they obviously had no idea of the repercussions.

View attachment 1641227195

Great book. Eye opening in the sense that it makes you appreciate that when you catch one of those stocked rainbow trout your holding something so far removed from natural selection, evolution, the ecosystem where it was found.
+1 for great book. I read it in June and every fishing book I've picked up since has been a bit of a bummer in comparison.

Over the years we've had several of these threads in which an angler gets a rainbow in PA with the faint red chin marks and wonders whether they have a cut-bow.
These red chin stripes are common on rainbows in PA.

Also, when his book came out Halverson briefly joined our forum and contributed some posts discussing his book (which is excellent, as noted).

I've caught several in breeches myself. I've been informed by a reputable guide on the breeches that they are not uncommon. Pretty cool though.

If liked Halverson’s book you’ll love this equally interesting book.

Front Cover
Douglas M. Thompson
UPNE, Sep 22, 2013 - Nature - 324 pages

The angler's dream of fishing pristine waters in unspoiled country for sleek, healthy trout has turned fishing into a form of theater. It is a manufactured experienceÑmuch to the detriment of our rivers and streams. AmericansÕ love of trout has reached a level of fervor that borders on the religious. Federal and state agencies, as well as nongovernmental lobbying groups, invest billions of dollars on river restoration projects and fish-stocking programs. Yet, their decisions are based on faulty logic and risk destroying species they are tasked with protecting. River ecosystems are modified with engineered structures to improve fishing, native species that compete with trout are eradicated, and nonnative invasive game fish are indiscriminately introduced, genetically modified, and selectively bred to produce more appealing targets for anglersÑincluding the freakishly contrived "golden trout."

Put in a library request for that one, Fish Sticks! Thanks!

I'm currently going back and forth between a book of Ian Frazier essays - some great, others less so - and Mark Kurlansky's The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing - which is unfortunately complete garbage for a marquee/front window book at a number of independent book sellers. I'm eager to move on to something good.

Put in a library request for that one, Fish Sticks! Thanks!

I'm currently going back and forth between a book of Ian Frazier essays - some great, others less so - and Mark Kurlansky's The Unreasonable Virtue of Fly Fishing - which is unfortunately complete garbage for a marquee/front window book at a number of independent book sellers. I'm eager to move on to something good.
Id really like someone to write something on night fishing. Jim bashlines book is amazing but id love more books even if its just stories,accounts, and individual experiences. I just love reading about it and wish there was more out there on it. Feel like night fishing has had some quantum leaps in techniques and flies since that book was written and would be cool if a comprehensive collaborative book from east coast, midwest, and west coast night fishers was done with flies, techniques, conditions, tackle, species, and water types.

I think I've read some Gierach shorts about bassin' at night? That's about all I've got, and it's way far on the anecdotal side of the spectrum.

Though, I will say that Gierach's writing on warm water has been way more rewarding for me in terms of technique than anything he has written about trout. A passage about imagining bass prey falling into the water, thrashing quick, then going limp to assess its situation (and thus drawing a strike) has vividly stuck with me and delivered many fish.

Wrong thread for this, though. Sorry for digression.

Night fishing smallmouth in streams is virtually non existent in the angling literature. Something available near me and slowly figuring out

Back