YB Stream Project at Allenberry

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
This is posted on the TCO Yellow Breeches stream report page:

Please be aware that stream rehabilitation work will begin within the next few days on the Allenberry section of the stream. Because of heavy machinery in the stream, the stretch from the dam down will be closed to fishing for the rest of the month. This is an exciting project and will enhance the quality of the stream a great deal.

TCO YB Stream Report

Does anyone have any details about what type of work is being done on the YB at Allenberry?

I recall posting this info a while back:

"We're working with a guy who does stream restorations from the State College area," he said. "He's going to submit to do major stream renovation from the town up through the resort."

If approved, the plan will remove nearly 100 years of silt deposits from the creek, making the stream deeper and thus a better environment for fish.

"Parts of that creek have gotten really shallow with the silt," he said. "It takes permits and a significant amount of construction, but we're committed to doing it as soon as the permits will allow."

Link to article: http://www.pennlive.com/life/2017/04/allenberry_fishing_yellow_bree.html

I walked that section this morning - all is quiet at Allenberry.

It is my understanding that all the permits have been approved and work will begin soon. Not really sure how all this is going to end as far it eventually becoming private water alla Mr. Beaver.

joebamboo wrote:
It is my understanding that all the permits have been approved and work will begin soon. Not really sure how all this is going to end as far it eventually becoming private water alla Mr. Beaver.

I only see one likely outcome, unfortunately.

Who's doing the testing on the removed silt? Where is it going? Who's testing the water during the dredge? Downstream?

tomgamber wrote:
Who's doing the testing on the removed silt? Where is it going? Who's testing the water during the dredge? Downstream?

I'm guessing you need to find a copy of the permit and paperwork that goes along with it. I did a quick google search but struck out.

What silt? From the post Afish provided, all indications are that the work is being done below the dam. Minimal silt issues down thru there. Most likely building upon the work already done by CVTU/Youth Camp efforts and narrowing/deepening the channel for the most part.

tomitrout wrote:

What silt? From the post Afish provided, all indications are that the work is being done below the dam. Minimal silt issues down thru there. Most likely building upon the work already done by CVTU/Youth Camp efforts and narrowing/deepening the channel for the most part.

From afish post:If approved, the plan will remove nearly 100 years of silt deposits from the creek, making the stream deeper and thus a better environment for fish.

tomitrout wrote:

It's great that Allenberry is funding stream improvements. Below is what is posted on TCO's stream reports for the YB. The last line states the work is just the "first phase" of their planned stream enhancement project. It sounds like TCO is in the loop with regard to Allenberry's plans. If someone happens to be in the area, why not just stop in and ask either Allenberry or TCO about the project.

"Please be aware that stream rehabilitation work will begin within the next few days on the Allenberry section of the stream. Because of heavy machinery in the stream, the stretch from the dam down will be closed to fishing for the rest of the month. This is an exciting project and will enhance the quality of the stream a great deal.

Please be aware that stream improvement work will be starting at the lower end of the Allenberry property. There will be machinery in the stream for several days. This is the first phase of the project which will result in more holding water and improved habitat."

From the TCO site about the YB stream project at Allenberry:

Levels are elevated with recent snow melt and rain. Water is off color. We have heard that stream restoration work has been postponed until next winter. We will post updates as we hear them.

http://www.streamconditions.com/StreamConditions_Fishing_Report.cfm?stream=Yellow%20Breeches

afishinado wrote:
From the TCO site about the YB stream project at Allenberry:

Levels are elevated with recent snow melt and rain. Water is off color. We have heard that stream restoration work has been postponed until next winter. We will post updates as we hear them.

http://www.streamconditions.com/StreamConditions_Fishing_Report.cfm?stream=Yellow%20Breeches

What could of possibly happened for them to postpone the project for a whole year

What could of possibly happened for them to postpone the project for a whole year

Guess they can't have those dirty, ugly machines in the water during the summer/peak tourist/wedding season. You know, when almost every other stream project is done due to ideal in stream conditions for that sort of work. Sounds like a well thought out plan....

OK the real answer is likely that there is a restriction on instream work with the permitting process beginning March 1-June 15th on stocked trout streams.

I guess they felt they couldn't get the work done in time.

Yeah, there's probably that too... ;-)

Back