Wyoming Cutt Slam

This guy had a great take, saw him swim out from under the bank and smash my dry.

Attachments

• Greenbrown.jpg
    Greenbrown.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 9
That joy on your face...The reason I fish. Great catch

acristickid wrote:
This guy had a great take, saw him swim out from under the bank and smash my dry.

Yea, it was great. We had an awesome time, nothing like driving on nice dirt roads with no other cars or people. Was so peaceful and the fishing for the most part was very fine.

Horse creek was one of my favorites- has Co cutthroats in it and they were eager to the dries.

On the prior page the 3rd link down does work if you want to view some more pictures of the trip.

This was one of the inspirations from our trip:

http://www.bigskyjournal.com/articles/big-sky-journal/fly-fishing-2010/95/the-headwaters-to-wyoming-s-wild-cutthroat-paradise.html

Attachments

• Horse Creek.jpg
    Horse Creek.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 10
Ha, yea. LaBarge went under an agressive restoration 7-8 years ago to help the native CO cutts.

I should have mentioned that the WY Cutt Slam is being promoted by the state of WY.

Here is some more information from the state fish and game website:

Here is the link to WY Clutt Slam from the fish and game site

It's neat that the state will send you a nice certificate for completing the slam once a biologist reviews your pictures of the fish.

Attachments

• Cuttslamcert.jpg
    Cuttslamcert.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 4
Link to the pictures keep crapping out....

Here are the four native WY cutthroats I hooked for the program...

Attachments

• Snake River Finespotted Cutthroat Trout.jpg
    Snake River Finespotted Cutthroat Trout.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
This was at Horse Creek

Attachments

• Colorado River Cutthroat Trout.jpg
    Colorado River Cutthroat Trout.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 11
From the Lamar River in YNP in 2006

Attachments

• Yellowstone Cutthroat Lamar River.jpg
    Yellowstone Cutthroat Lamar River.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
These fish were chunky from the Smith's Fork

Attachments

• Bonneville Cutthroat Trout -Smith's Fork River.jpg
    Bonneville Cutthroat Trout -Smith's Fork River.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 9
Just got back from a 3 1/2 week trip through Montana, Wyoming, YNP and Colorado. Spent most of our time in Western Wyoming. fished many of the water you fished.
We tried to do a one day cutt slam. Didn't happen. 2/4.
Hoppers and stimmys were the fly of choice until we got to Colorado. Green Drakes and dumb fish everywhere.

dano- cool, it found western WY to be excellent fishing.

Which two did you bag? Snake and Bonneville?

I have always done way better interms of number of fish caught on the lesser known streams out west. That's my strategy when I take trips now. Next I am gonna fly into SLC and then head west to NV and fish for the native trout there.

Sounds like you had a great trip!! I love dumb fish.

Paul,you're the man.GG

Ha, I don't feel like it today. Got a chest cold and sore throat. Weird while it's summer. Had to call off , was gonna take off Friday and go small mouth fishing but not now.

I kinda got reinvigorated about fly fishing with that WY trip. Heading to TN in a couple weeks to fish the S Holston. So looking forward to that. Prob hitting Oak Orchard in mid-Oct. Maybe see you uppear for steelhead.

Back