WV stocking schedule amended

T

td566

Hi everyone.
Lived and worked in WV for over 31 years, and still keep up with many things in the mountain state.
See link below. I think the amendments relate to stocking trout raised in a Federal hatchery (using federal funding) into streams with endangered species.

Do we have any federal hatcheries in PA? If so, has this ever happened in PA?

Im interested in member comments.
TD

Two federal hatcheries in PA.

The Allegheny hatchery is right below the kinzua dam and raises lake trout for the Great Lakes. They were also working with ciscos and bloaters for the lakes as well.

The USFWS has a fish health lab and small hatchery in Lamar. It’s right outside town. They do a lot of testing and some research there. They raised sturgeon, paddlefish and used to raise trout for the PFBC there as well. They had some issues with meeting their NPDES permit some time ago and I’m not sure how much they do their anymore.

There also used to be a USGS lab/hatchery in Asaph, but it’s been closed down for several years. They did a lot of work with mussels and eels there.

Thanks for that info Cz.
So it sounds like PA doesn’t raise and stock “federally funded” trout in our streams.
I found the article interesting and a bit head scratching as well in some of the later paragraphs. For instance, Rainbow trout don’t eat crayfish?

Thanks for that info Cz.
So it sounds like PA doesn’t raise and stock “federally funded” trout in our streams.
I found the article interesting and a bit head scratching as well in some of the later paragraphs. For instance, Rainbow trout don’t eat crayfish?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I caught a couple rainbows on Deep Creek lake with a live crayfish when I was a kid. That definitely doesn't sound right.

Fish a well know stream near Williamsport and drifted crawfish all the time. Rainbows hammered them.

Back