WTB - Muskie topwater flies

wgmiller

wgmiller

I do tie, but don't tie muskie flies. I have a good selection of sub-surface flies, but am looking to add a few topwater flies to my arsenal. That being said, I'd like to purchase a few, but through my internet searches, haven't come up with much that piques my interest. I'm looking for a "Spongebob squarehead" or other type fly that causes a surface commotion. If anyone is interested in tying a few up, I'll gladly purchase them.

Thanks!

I've mentioned it a couple times on this site I believe, but the Pole Dancer topwater has been my go to fly for at least a couple seasons now. I bought mine already tied and I believe there was at least one store that sold kits to tie them. It wont be as loud as the Spongebob style but the walk the dog action gets em as fired up as I've seen. Its a great throw-back fly after getting a follow too.

Jay

Thanks for the feedback. Since I haven't gotten much activity on this, maybe I'll just "bite the bullet" and tie some of them up!

No problem man. If you're still thinking about purchasing, you can look up the Vermont Fly Guys. They do a little of everything for Pike and Musky. I've used a few of their streamer patterns and they rock. Very durable and catch fish, no doubt about it. 3 out of 4 of my first Musky this year were on a red/white pattern of theirs that they call the Maelstrom I believe.

Dude our FB talk yesterday about musky gave me very strange dreams...the one I remember most clearly is that in my dream, I spotted 2 musky in the Tully, east of Myerstown LOL! Try there hahahaha!

Do we have to start a WW tying night at Rick's? I could definitely use some more big bass flies! Does anyone want to float this coming Sunday?

wgmiller,

Awesome man, that is the kit I was thinking of. That fly is very versatile too. Even if its worked below the surface, it still has good action and pushes a lot of water. Even though I've still only landed a few on this fly, I have had A LOT of chances. I actually run a stinger hook on mine too just in case its a short strike. The biggest issue for me is just gettin the crap scared out of me when a Musky blows up on the thing right next to the boat!!! LOL Good luck man.

Jay

Thanks CPR. I like the simplicity of the "kit" and it may just spur me to start tying up some other musky flies as well. It's odd tying small trout flies and then switching gears to tying something like these big musky flies. But the musky flies aren't cheap, so it'll definitely save some $$$. I REALLY like the action of these flies when stripped, so I'm stoked to get them on the water. I agree that the simple act of seeing a musky is enough to get the heart racing, let alone a follow or strike.

Squatch - that would be funny! :-D

Slay - I guess anything's possible! Buggers, clousers and poppper tying fest.

wgmiller wrote:
Thanks CPR. I like the simplicity of the "kit" and it may just spur me to start tying up some other musky flies as well. It's odd tying small trout flies and then switching gears to tying something like these big musky flies. But the musky flies aren't cheap, so it'll definitely save some $$$. I REALLY like the action of these flies when stripped, so I'm stoked to get them on the water. I agree that the simple act of seeing a musky is enough to get the heart racing, let alone a follow or strike.

Squatch - that would be funny! :-D

Slay - I guess anything's possible! Buggers, clousers and poppper tying fest.

Yeah I woke up laughing! It was like two 40" shadows lingering at the bottom of a little spillway. I know exactly where I saw them in my dream hahahaha!

orange juice carton tops work for top water. great action.

Attachments

• DSCF2089 (800x600) (400x299).jpg
    DSCF2089 (800x600) (400x299).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2088 (800x600) (400x293).jpg
    DSCF2088 (800x600) (400x293).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
Well, I cranked out my first "D C Dodger" yesterday using the Feather Craft kit. Hook is a 3/0 Mustad hook I got at a local tackle shop. Try finding hooks bigger than #2 at a fly shop! :-(

I'll fish it and see if I need to make any modifications, but I'm hopeful it performs as it should. Time to work the esox! Total fly length is about 6.5" and I used "Fishhair" for the tailing material.

DoubleDodger_zps61d8a340.jpg

About the only fly shop in PA with 2/0 hooks and up is Jim's Sportcenter. It's the closest thing to a full service fly shop in the state. He carries partridge an dia rikkis phone is # is 765-3582 ask for Terry.

There's another that has 2/0 and larger

I ment to say full service musky fly shop.

wg,

That fly looks great!! Pretty sure the ones that I use have 4 or 5/0 on them. If you seem to be missing the fish, try throwing a trailer hook on. Good luck man.

Jay

I wondered about the trailer hook. Does it throw the "action" of the fly off? It seems like the lead weighting and spacing of the foam head is key as far as fly action goes.

I have not noticed any issues with the action of the fly with the trailer hook. Since I didn't tie mine, I just use to old Bass style trailer. Just holding the trailer on with a small piece of plastic. It does get caught up in the tail material sometimes, but not enough to be much of a bother. And the walk the dog action is still awesome.

There is the possibility that your pattern could be tied a little different than the one I have also. I'd give a shot and if its throwing things out of whack, just take the trailer off.

A couple quick questions on a trailing hook:

1. Does it matter whether the trailer rides hook up or hook down?

2. Should the trailer be the same size as the main hook?

3. How do you tie in a trailing hook without going through the eye? I want to keep the eye open and 1/8" behind the eye clear for proper action on the front. I'll be using 35# "tieable" wire for the trailer hook.

Thanks!

1) Great question. I have mine facing up, opposite the set hook. No good reason for this other than my belief/hope that it increases my odds of hook ups. I've had a few fish only hooked by the trailer.

2) I ended up using a 2/0 mainly because it was all I could find in the store that I happened to be at when shopping for the trailers. Once I run out of those, I will experiment with some 4/0 and 5/0.

3) I'm not gonna be much help for you on this one being that I have never done it. I've seen examples that form a long "U" shape with the wire, with the trailer on it, and then tie the tag ends onto the shank of the set hook. Thats kinda how the flies I got from Vermont Fly guys do their articulated patterns. At least that is my interpretation.

I'm sure there should be some other guys on this site that can hopefully offer some advice on that part of it too. I'd like to learn that technique as well.

Back