WTB 5 weight (Radian, Helios, etc)

F

FlyGuy29

Looking to purchase a new 5 weight for Montana, would prefer 9' but will consider other lengths. Loved the Radian and Helios in particular, but also will consider others rods. Thank you!

Bet you could find a Helios on the cheap somewhere. You should spring for the Radian, though. Wayyyyyy more feel with it. Having the warranty doesn't hurt.

Keep your eyes on this site: http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used-rods-reels/?sort=pricedesc

The Farmington River Fly Shop link posted by DavidFin lists a Hardy Zenith 5wt 9' on sale for $449. I personally like the Zenith it is my favorite rod.

Here is the link for the page with the Zenith and other new (old model) rods they have.

http://www.farmingtonriver.com/sale-clearance/?sort=pricedesc

Thank you guys, I'll keep an eye out. I'm still debating buying one brand new, but I figure I would keep my eye out for a deal if I can find one.

There aren't enough words, or ones powerful enough to express how incredible the Radian is. You could say this or that about it, but it all comes down to how it mends line. I bought a used 6wt and then got the 4wt at list. I'm strongly considering getting it in a 5wt, too, because quite frankly it's the one rod I would have if I could only choose one.

BTW, the S4 is also pretty cool. I think it's a touch heavier, and I prefer the Full Wells grip on the Radian to it, but deals are out there for it. There's a 9' 5wt on Ebay right now that looks pretty credible and is listed as a Buy It Now for $275. This is an $800 rod....

I agree with you on the Radian, I only test cast it once but it felt incredible. I also did like the Heios, and heard good things about the Zenith as well. I appreciate the advice and website given, i may see what they can give me on a trade in as well.

I will also reccomend the Radian. I boght the 10' 4 Wt and love it. It is my everywhere go to dry fly/nymoh rod. Even on the Delaware it excels. Pushes through wind no problem.

H2 Tipflex runs out of power at longer distances but you don't have to overline it to get feel in close.

I haven't casted or fished with a Radian, so no opinion. It is the 'hot' rod at the time it seems.

The Zenith 9ft 5wt can be found at a great price but just get ready to overline it for use in Pennsylvania.

Personally, I would get the 9 foot 4 weight zenith. The last time I looked I found them for $400-450, brand new. This rod will perform in Montana, save you 400-500 dollars and be your go-to rod in Pennsylvania.

The money you save will either pay for most of your plane ticket, let you stay out there a few more days or pay for a float trip.

allan_s wrote:
H2 Tipflex runs out of power at longer distances but you don't have to overline it to get feel in close.

I haven't casted or fished with a Radian, so no opinion. It is the 'hot' rod at the time it seems.

The Zenith 9ft 5wt can be found at a great price but just get ready to overline it for use in Pennsylvania.

Personally, I would get the 9 foot 4 weight zenith. The last time I looked I found them for $400-450, brand new. This rod will perform in Montana, save you 400-500 dollars and be your go-to rod in Pennsylvania.

The money you save will either pay for most of your plane ticket, let you stay out there a few more days or pay for a float trip.

Cast the rods you are considering if possible.

I'm an Orvis guy as many of you know. I own and cast a bunch of H2s. Most decent casters can easily cast the whole line on that H2. I've never had a lot of luck fishing the backing.

Most of your fishing (catching) in PA or even MT is at the close to moderate distances. So judge any rod by how it performs at fishing distances, not maximum casting distances.

Good luck with any rod you choose.

Bill, I just sent you a PM back.

Thanks!

Back