WTB - 10'-12' Canoe

raftman

raftman

Hey folks,

Hit me up if you have a solid canoe between the 10-12' range that you'd like to sell. My wife and I are planning some trips this summer that I think I'd like to have the canoe for so I can take her and the dog out on the water with me (my kayak doesn't really work for that..).

I'm drawn to the Old Town, Wenonah, and Stowe Mansfield canoes.

Thanks,

Michael

Raftman:

Get a paddle board. We use it with the dog and it is great. Dog sit on the front and you in the back. Bring a cooler to sit on. Wife and I have been doing this for awhile and it works well.

raftman wrote:

... a solid canoe between the 10-12' range ...

I'm drawn to the Old Town, Wenonah, and Stowe Mansfield canoes.

No experience with the Wenonah or Stowe Mansfield canoes, but I have an Old Town Discovery 119, and love it.

Sorry, it's not for sale, just offering feedback on one of your choices.

Thanks for the suggestion Bruno, but I think a canoe will suit our needs better.

That Old Town looks like a solid choice, but it looks like it only has one seat. The 133 looks nice... Thanks for the feedback! I've heard great things about Old Town and used to paddle them a lot when I worked up at Baxter State Park.

Raft man,

May not be in the size range you are looking for but I have a 17 foot alumacraft scanoe I’d sell. Its been in my family forever and I’ve used it all over. You can stand up easily in it, I’ve had three friends and my pregnant wife in it at one point. Used all over the susky. But I got a drift boat and it’s taking room in the garage. Let me know if that interests you. If not, no big deal.

Phishing,

Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind, but I think I'd like something a bit smaller so I can easily navigate smaller streams and also take it out solo if I want.

Thanks again man!

Find a Wenonah, you will have it the rest of your life.

Yeah, a Wenonah is at the top of my list... seems to be hard to come by around these parts. Maybe I'll make a drive out there this summer.

Is a 10-12 foot canoe big enough for 2 adults and a dog and some gear?

I'm not a canoe expert, but I've done some canoeing. What I'm most familiar with are 17 foot canoes, which can carry two adults and plenty of camping gear. Or even 3 people.

For what you are doing, you probably don't need a 17 footer.

But I'd guess that you'd find the "just right" size somewhere in between, around 14-15 feet.

Yeah, you're probably right troutbert. Though I'll probably be using it solo as well, so that's why I was aiming more towards the 12-13 foot range. But yeah, I guess I should be more open to the 12-15 range.
Thanks!

You might check out this shop:

Tussey Mountain Outfitters 308 W Linn Street Bellefonte PA, 16823. Ph: (814) 355-5690 · sales@tusseymountainoutfitters.com.

It is a specialized kayak and canoe shop. I don't think they sell anything else but those boats and related gear.

Suggest you stop over at Lancaster County Marine, right in your back yard.

They have a ton of canoes and kayaks in inventory and they are great folks to deal with, being a family owned company in business for many years.

https://www.lancastercountymarine.com/paddlesportsselection

Oh nice! I'm going to have to check them out... Thanks afishinado!

raftman wrote:
Oh nice! I'm going to have to check them out... Thanks afishinado!

Your welcome.

Ask for Isaiah. Good guy and very knowledgeable about canoes, fishing and paddlesports.

There is a 15ft aluminum Grumman for sale on Craigslist for 750. It’s in lewisburg pa. Comes with trailer and all kinds of extras. Don’t know if that’s a good deal but seems worth checking out

I wouldn't recommend an aluminum canoe.

The aluminum grabs on rocks, while the plastic canoes slide over them.

Also, if you get an aluminum canoe sideways against a rock, the current can bend them into a U-shape, turning your canoe into aluminum scrap metal. I've seen it done.

I suggest a 14.5 ft canoe if you plan on occasional wife and dog (limited gear) trips. You can solo that size easily for your personal time, just flip it around and sit backwards in the “original” front seat. Make sure you check the design/rocker of your boat of choice to allow that option.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions. Any reputable canoe shop will give you good advice. I paddle at least twice a month and have been through many boats; Wenonah, Mad River, Dagger, Old Town.

If you shop around, generally you can pick up a good boat for around $400-500 on Craigslist List. You just have to wait around for a deal. Royalex is the best material if you can find it.

Cheers in your quest!

+1 to the 14.5' canoe option.

This is what I've used for decades. Recently, for "round trip" river fishing and flat water, I started using an extra long kayak paddle (XL to clear the gunwales) while sitting or kneeling around the mid-boat area. I can really move doing this!

My canoe is rotomolded plastic. It's heavy, but it's also a tank. I regularly scrape over shallow rocks and gravel. A heat gun to the bottom once a year smooths all the scratches out. After nearly 15 years using this canoe dozens of times per year, it's still in great shape.

Thanks fellas! I'll expand my search to include a bit longer canoes. I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist.. hoping to not go over 400-500...

raftman wrote:

I've been keeping an eye out on craigslist.. hoping to not go over 400-500...

A used, but very serviceable canoe for under your budget should be very easily doable.

Not nearly as many, but maybe take a look at paddling.net . They have a classifieds section where you can specifically search for new or used canoes or kayaks (all under four separate headings), by state. Occasionally a good deal pops up there as well.

Back