Would you recommend: Spring Creek Strategies: Hatches, Patterns, and Techniques

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Mike is such a down to earth and friendly guy, you wonder if he's really the guy that wrote one of the best flyfishing books out there. Until you see him fish. :-o

I'd fish with him ANYTIME (hint hint).

I'll gladly second this. Mike is a both a pleasure to be around and a gentleman.

Whatcha doin this Saturday Mike? Did you read about our gathering in the Announcements/Events forum.

I did read. I would have loved to come up, but will be with my son all day.

[color=000099]Get wet the rod in the sun blessing waters[/color]

I’m almost finished Mike’s book and I’m become pleasingly satisfied with the content.
Why I was waiting for so long?

The [color=000099]“Spring Creek Strategies”[/color] book guides us in.
The author teaches concepts, shares tactics, reveal the secrets and truth of the creek.
For me this is the quite powerful text, I do not only learn but also see: the “perfect moment” of the strike, the ritualistic nature of angler life.
The book is full of amazing photography of Jay Nichols and remarkably layout.
I found here many great, nearly animated patterns for the Spring Creek, including his own design.

As Lefty Kreh said …”read this book and you’ll almost certainly catch more fish”…and I’m thinking, yea …but I have to read it one more time before to get there….

This is excellent, top-notch and beautiful book.
Guide you right to the healthy trout.

Mike Heck
Spring Creek
STRATEGIES
Hatches, Patterns, and Techniques

Headwater Books
&
Stackpole Books

Glad you like my book. Hope to see you out someday.

I was on the breeches last Thursday and an angler saw me in the parking lot. He came over and said my book saved him when he was fishing the Montanna streams. I thought that was pretty cool.
Best, Mike

Just picked this up as I had heard good things about it before reading this post. Great book so far Mike thank you!

I'm headed out that way early July to fish Spring...never been out there...gonna have to get this book!

bjshaffr wrote:
I'm headed out that way early July to fish Spring...never been out there...gonna have to get this book!

The book is about spring creeks in general, not really spring creek in central PA.

Some of the tactics will certainly apply, but I think it's better suited for places like letort, big spring, falling springs. Regardless, it's an asset to anyone that fishes limestone.

I agree with H-A 100%. This book is visually well put together, the writing style is very approachable and is just an amazingly well put together book. For those of you interested in spring creeks, I suggest reading the book a few times, then go out with Mike and put the principles to work, then go back and read the book a couple more times. It will all come together. I learned so much from the book and from my time fishing with Mike. Great guy, knows his stuff and does not have the "greater than thou" attitude a lot of experts in the FF world have.

jdaddy wrote:
I agree with H-A 100%. This book is visually well put together, the writing style is very approachable and is just an amazingly well put together book.

Wait a second......I said this.

Why are people consistently confusing HA and me. I assure you, we are not the same. We don't even look the same. Sound the same. Act the same.

First people say he's awesome, now they're attribuing my work to him, before you know people will think he's the dashing, debonair one with the fantastic hair and sparkling wit.

He's the short one, I'm the tall one. With the great hair, mind you.

gfen wrote:
First people say he's awesome, now they're attribuing my work to him, before you know people will think he's the dashing, debonair one with the fantastic hair and sparkling wit.

Resistance is futile....... :cool:

An announcement, from here on out my name is Futilemacher. Mr. Futilemacher to you, Heritage Ed.

You in tonight?

"Wait a second......I said this."

I was referring to HA's statement of Mike being a down to Earth guy. I guess my sentence following my opening should have been in regards to Mikes character versus a review of the book. Sorry for the confusion.

Why must you torment me? Say something bad about HA, now. It'll brighten up my day.

"Why must you torment me? Say something bad about HA, now. It'll brighten up my day."

Your flowing hair makes you much, much cooler than H-A.

Done.

jdaddy wrote:
Your flowing hair makes you much, much cooler than H-A.

Would've, but I finally had it cut back again. Woe.

BTW, for those of you who lost sight of the goal, its a good book. Buy it. Then, write Stackpole and tell them they should advance Mike for another one. Because that's what nice guys do.

Yes I would recommend this book. The chapter on terrestrials is excellent. I have not met Mike but I can tell by my own time on the limestone streams of central Pa. that he knows the subject matter very well.

I chimed in on the last post regarding this book so ill just do it again in this one, too. The signed copy of this book i recieved right from Mike's hand last time he fished with my brother and I is one of my most prized in my fly fishing library. A well put together peice of fly fishing literaure.

If you have the means and are able, i recommend hooking up with Mike for a day on the South central Spring Creeks. You'll learn alot and just be in good company in general. He's a world class guy and one hell of a fisherman.

Back