Within moments of taking office, Trump pledges to undo measures of paramount importance to anglers

greenlander

greenlander

Regardless of who you voted for, this should disturb you.

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/within-moments-taking-office-trump-pledges-roll-back/7714310

I hope we don't see the Clean Water act reversed as I 'be seen many rivers cleaned upon my lifetime and would not want to go back to. Pollution of the 50s and 60s.

Relax. You guys are acting like the new prez has 'a pen and a phone'.

You'd think Trump's son would have his ear on this issue. He's apparently a big sportsman. He even wrote the preface to George Daniels's Strip Set.

If the power is more with the people than it was under Obama or previous administrations (as Trump claims), then let's hope he hears the many people representing all political perspectives that resist changes that threaten our waterways.

Trump is no different than any other politician. He listens to the super wealthy, while feeding BS statements to the common people.

We'll soon have a cabinet full of wealthy executives, working as a team to repeal anything they deem as a restriction to corporate profits. That includes environmental protections!!! And public lands used by the majority of this country's outdoorsmen? You can bet they won't be public any more if they have any resources worth exploiting.

In this case it would be really, really awesome if myself and those who share my fears are wrong.

I totally agree with you sarce, the future doesn't look good. I fear it's gonna be jobs and money no matter the environmental cost, and yeah, I'm sure they are already working on giving public land to the states to be sold off to their cronies in the energy industry to suck em dry.

I'm not a fan of anything Trump is peddling. Watching the Senate hearings on his cabinet is like watching the clown car actin the circus. I won't miss Ringling Bros. Circus for the next four years I can just watch the show on the tv news stations.

I apologize for this rant. I truly hope I have not offended any members on this site.

Don't worry Salmo, Trump voters liked that he wasn't politically correct. So they should like it when you aren't either. Let 'em have it!

What kind of "outdoorsman" or "conservationist" can support someone who silences the EPA?

And now the Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay Alaska. This ban/resistance was a major push by TU National.

The other shoe

Apparently the environment isn't part of America.

I think the concern about what the new administration may do to the existing web of environmental law is more than justified.

But I also believe that no single advocacy constituency is more effective at tying a lot of this stuff up in court for long periods of time than the environmental/conservation community. I think this is a particularly hopeful thing in this situation given that I don't believe Mr. Trump will make it half way through his current term before he either resigns or is removed for cause by the Senate.

He is planting and watering the seeds of his own demise almost every day...

There are dozens of projects on hold by executive decree among them are: Drilling in the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve; The Pebble Mine, Oli exploration of the Atlantic Shelf, Mountain top mining in West Virginia, The Dakota Pipeline, and many others. They can be restarted with the stroke of the pen.

I think I here pen stroking now.....

The great thing about America, is you do have the opportunity to voice your opinion. Call or write your REPRESENTATIVES, they work for you. Let them know you voted and you don't like this. If you don't take the opportunity to do that, no amount of posting on the internet can help the situation. Thanks to the OP for letting everyone know about this, at the very least we should all be informed and educated about Gov't decisions that are being made.

salmo wrote:
There are dozens of projects on hold by executive decree among them are: Drilling in the Alaskan Wildlife Preserve; The Pebble Mine, Oli exploration of the Atlantic Shelf, Mountain top mining in West Virginia, The Dakota Pipeline, and many others. They can be restarted with the stroke of the pen.

Many have been put on hold due to political pandering. The Dakota Pipeline being an excellent example of such. These should all be re-evaluated and individually determined.

>>Many have been put on hold due to political pandering. The Dakota Pipeline being an excellent example of such. These should all be re-evaluated and individually determined.>>

I understand what you're saying...

You'd prefer the games be re-played with a different set of referees, one that is more likely to make calls more in line with your individual POV.

That's fine so long as you realize that nothing really changes except the identity of the panderers and whose interests are being pandered to. It's all pandering...

RLeep2 wrote:
>>Many have been put on hold due to political pandering. The Dakota Pipeline being an excellent example of such. These should all be re-evaluated and individually determined.>>

You'd prefer the games be re-played with a different set of referees, one that is more likely to make calls more in line with your individual POV.

That's fine so long as you realize that nothing really changes except the identity of the panderers and whose interests are being pandered to. It's all pandering...

No. The Dakota Pipeline is an excellent example of politically motivated decisions, pandering to liberals. There are already a number of pipelines under the same river just a few miles further upstream. They haven't been a problem. And the local tribes didn't seem to have a problem when they went in.

Much of the crude that would transverse the pipeline is coming down by rail. A much riskier way to transport. And many of the protesters drove there using gasoline refined from the same sources.

I've done some research on several of these projects. I don't feel that opening up Alaska to more drilling is a significant risk. Nor do I think drilling offshore in most locations is. The Pebble Bay Mine is, in my opinion, too risky.

Well, if you say so....

I'll say this and then, I'm going to drop it.

We aren't going to agree on this because you seem to need to frame it as a red team/blue team thing rather than an objective (without partisan or personal bias) example of how power and policy flow and coalesce on a given issue. The Dakota pipeline question is a prime example of how we decide these questions one by one as they come up. There are two sets of opposing stakeholders, neither of which has an objectively persuasive case for their position, or at the least, neither has a position that is any better than that of their opposites. This is because there is no clear cut better or worse among the choices in this situation. All either side has is a viewpoint, an opinion and a preference which they duly inflate with the rhetorical gas from loaded words like “pandering” and the like in order to advance the preference and the flag of their team.

Eventually, government and the real (as opposed to gas-inflated..) needs of the market will dictate a winner and a loser in this situation. It may be your team, it may not.. Time will tell. But make no mistake, the team that wins is being “pandered” to by those who will pick the winner and the loser. You may not like the word and I couldn’t blame you for that. It’s a snotty little word, isn’t it? Feel free to pick a different word if you’d like. Anything that takes a little bit of the drama and rhetorical gas out of these things is more than fine with me..

I guess this is more fake news. Still scares the hell out of me, I love our public lands, and can't imagine enjoying this country without them.
All of my passions, skiing, fishing, motorcycling, bicycling, they all benefit from public lands. every year, every trip I take, I make some use of public lands. I simply can't imagine living the same life without them.

http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/fight-keep-public-lands-public-5-questions-randy-newberg/

Out west there are vast tracks of low value scrub land that costs us taxpayers more to upkeep than it's worth. Much of it has not had a citizen recreating on it in 50 years. The BLM land should be re-assessed and much of it sold. I don't have a problem keeping land that has valuable assets, either mineral or natural, but much of it is simply owned to allow some cattle ranchers low rent range.

ebroesicke wrote:
I think I here pen stroking now.....

The great thing about America, is you do have the opportunity to voice your opinion. Call or write your REPRESENTATIVES, they work for you. Let them know you voted and you don't like this. If you don't take the opportunity to do that, no amount of posting on the internet can help the situation. Thanks to the OP for letting everyone know about this, at the very least we should all be informed and educated about Gov't decisions that are being made.
But the problem is that neither the Cons or Libs listen to anyone that has a differing opinion than their constituency. All the pole in PA are cons. The Libs have such a small constituency, I fear No one will listen.

franklin wrote:
RLeep2 wrote:

No. The Dakota Pipeline is an excellent example of politically motivated decisions, pandering to liberals. There are already a number of pipelines under the same river just a few miles further upstream. They haven't been a problem. And the local tribes didn't seem to have a problem when they went in.

Much of the crude that would transverse the pipeline is coming down by rail. A much riskier way to transport. And many of the protesters drove there using gasoline refined from the same sources.

I've done some research on several of these projects. I don't feel that opening up Alaska to more drilling is a significant risk. Nor do I think drilling offshore in most locations is. The Pebble Bay Mine is, in my opinion, too risky.

While I agree that a pipeline is much more efficient and safer, the process seems flawed on both sides. The movement to reject all pipelines is more aimed at killing fracking than the pipeline itself, and further it is also anti exporting of the resource. I somewhat agree with that. What could be done is pay down debt, pay taxpayers some of the profits, much of the resources are on public land, and everyone wins.

Back