Winterdale Road Closure

wbranch

wbranch

I saw this comment in a recent Delaware River Club email. It's only important to Forum members who fish the West Branch of the Delaware and who typically get to Balls Eddy from the east coming up Winterdale Road.

Winterdale Road Construction Update

While there are a lot of roads in NE PA that are in terrible shape Penndot has decided to start repairs on Winterdale Road this Spring. The road will be closed by the end of March just past the Methodist Camp and right before The Delaware River Club. We suggest the following detours to reach both us and the Balls Eddy access.

There are a few other ways one can get to Balls Eddy. You can get on Route 17 going west and get off at the Hale Eddy bridge. After crossing the Hale Eddy bridge turn left onto a very narrow paved road. Continue on the road and after you pass the West Branch Angler facility the road turns to dirt with many ruts. As you continue along the road comes quite close to the river and a very steep drop off. Be careful coming and going because guides and shuttle drivers use this road and drive quite fast. After a few miles you will see the Balls Eddy access sign on your left. There is a shorter way by going west on Route 370 but is too complicated to provide directions but it is 8.5 miles compared to 11.75 miles.

Thanks for the heads up, nothing like a surprise detour when you think you'll be arriving soon!

tztrout wrote;

nothing like a surprise detour when you think you'll be arriving soon!

Yep, that could put a damper on the day.

Wow! That is a major detour. When will Winterdale Rd be reopened?

When will Winterdale Rd be reopened?

I have no idea. I don't know what is planned. I do know that the stretch from the Methodist Camp to DRC is just a wreck. Full of pot holes and disintegrating shoulders. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't planning to entirely rip up the existing asphalt, re-surface the road bed, and put down new asphalt. It could take months. Considering it took PenDot about three months to repair a little section of the guard rail where Crosstown Tavern is located after the hill eroded away I could see the detour lasting well into the summer.

Found this online. Looks like they are going to take care of the bank erosion. All summer into the fall....

vcregular wrote;

Looks like they are going to take care of the bank erosion. All summer into the fall

I never thought there was an erosion problem, but maybe that is why the edges of the asphalt get eroded.

That is going to suck! They are going to fix Winterdale but let 191 slide into the Main Stem. That particular closure will make any DRC clients loop way out around. The gravel road through the gamelands will have to handle all of the traffic which it's not designed to do. I'd expect many to avoid the area and sections above or below to be extra crowded. What can you do other than roll with it?

I assume it's the high bluff right below the island that is unstable and slipping into the river.

Yeah - thanks for letting us know. I plan on being up there next month.
Looks like the backroad detour isn't too bad. 370 west to depot hill road. Take it past starlight lake inn. Then bear right on travis road. Then, make a right on autumn leaves road at the next intersection

So, if I'm reading the PENNDOT site correctly, there are 2 areas of work on PA 191, Hankins bridge is closed and Winterdale Rd is closed. I'll have to take a different route in but last time I did, a deer took my mirror and crumpled the drivers side of the car.

dryflyguy wrote;

370 west to depot hill road. Take it past starlight lake inn. Then bear right on travis road. Then, make a right on autumn leaves road at the next intersection

Yes, that is the other route. Bear in mind though parts of it are gravel but much of it is paved. If you drive it in early morning of around dusk be extra careful as deer are everywhere. My wife and I eat at the Starlight and come home that way just to view the deer.

Andy,

Yep, I think you are right about the steep hill at the bend and below the island. Just a few years ago PenDot totally repaved Winterdale Road from the beginning at 191 all the way to Balls Eddy. I remember shuttle fellow at Capra was charging me $5.00 more than usual prior to the repaving because there were more runts and holes than asphalt. I hated pulling the Hyde there before it was resurfaced.

This closure could significantly affect the bottom line for DRC. It will be a huge nuisance to be driving all the up to Hale Eddy twice a day going fishing and coming back. I'd think twice before booking any lodging.

If I were the inspector on the job I’d do an in-depth inspection on Friday and book into Capra or DRC and do a detailed report for submission bright and early Monday.

After looking at a map of the area, it looks like there might be an even shorter detour, than the one suggested by DRC.
Turn off of route 370 onto fall brook road, which then leads straight to autumn leaves road.
Of course, it might be a rougher way to go

dryflyguy,

Of course, it might be a rougher way to go

It is rough but doable if you aren't towing a drift boat or other craft. If you are I would be slow and easy the first time to see how it goes. I don't believe I have ever towed my drift boat on the mostly unpaved road that goes from the Hale Eddy bridge down to Balls Eddy. I've taken it with just the trailer after having dropped the boat at Barking Dog though. I had to go slow or the trailer would get airborne!

I might just use my kayak or pontoon boat this year on the WB and save the drift boat for the main stem.

Back