Winter Socks, Warm & Dry?

ryc72 wrote:
lots of baby/corn starch powder on the foot and in the socks to help with the sweating???

Id worry about ending up with pancakes in your socks. I did this once with a pair if wet boots not thinking. They were wet and I needed to wear them the next day. It was horrible.

I use Anti Monkey Butt powder in my shorts in the summer to keep from chaffing. Works WAY better than baby powder (it has calomine in it), this may work on your feet since it doesnt clump up. I still wouldnt risk it.

steveo27 wrote:
Id worry about ending up with pancakes in your socks. I did this once with a pair if wet boots not thinking. They were wet and I needed to wear them the next day. It was horrible.

I use Anti Monkey Butt powder in my shorts in the summer to keep from chaffing. Works WAY better than baby powder (it has calomine in it), this may work on your feet since it doesnt clump up. I still wouldnt risk it.

Anti Monkey Butt powder lol I'll have to look into that!

My best experience has been thin liner polyester type sock ( I might try silk next time) and rag wool socks. But also you need to have boots that fit with a thick wool sock. If your sticking on a thick wool sock into a tighter fitting boot it's not gonna work. Your foot will get constricted and the wool needs space to do its thing too.

I'm actually looking into a new pair a LLBean boots and trying to figure out just what type and size to get based on the fact I will need to be wearing wool socks.

This is great. Keep em coming.

bigjohn58 wrote:

Silly name but an awesome product. I looked all over locally for it, I ended up having to order it through Amazon.

LL Bean used to sell their boots in wide or regular. I bought a pair of regular for normal use and a pair of wide for heavy sock use. I wear the silver ghost boots and bought 4 pair a few years ago when the design changed. I good for a while.

As for antiperspirant on my feet I use the spray to make everything easier.

I don't care if my feet are wet, as long as they aren't cold. A high quality pair of merino wool socks will keep you warm.

If you are moving around...you're going to sweat, there is nothing to avoid it. There is no magic bullet by my suggestion is to bring an extra pair of socks. When hunting and knowing I'm going to be walking back into the woods quite a ways and getting sweaty, I simply bring a pair of socks for when I'm done walking and getting ready to sit.

I have never had a problem with my feet getting cold in waders, neoprene is warm as heck and with a pair of merino wool socks I haven't had any problems.

Also, I think having too much sock can be a problem. Try just wearing a medium pair of smartwool hunting sucks. I find the heavy weight almost too warm, my feat sweat just standing in them. Having a little extra slack in your boot is very important for keeping your feet warm. If your socks are too compressed they won't insulate you very well.

ryansheehan wrote:

I've always heard foot/toe warmers won't work in waders due to lack of air movement, any thoughts?

Honestly I have no idea. Never tried them in waders only in hunting boots and knee high rubber hunting boots and have had them work.

steveo27 wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:

Silly name but an awesome product. I looked all over locally for it, I ended up having to order it through Amazon.

Thanks! I am definitely going to get some! Nothing is more uncomfortable...

I believe the best place to put those warmers is right behind/below your ankle bone. That's where a lot of blood flows in, and that allows the blood to be warmed up before flowing through to your foot. It's sort of the same as whenever glove companies put a small pocket right by the underside of your wrist where all the blood flows through.

Got to wear my Terramar sock liners hunting this weekend. They did the job for the most part. The bottoms of my feet still sweat though. No matter what socks/shoes/temperature, the bottoms of my feet are always sweaty.

Im gonna look into some kinda spray antiperspirant next I guess

#3 Warm up your cold feet with chili powder.

Do this with caution, as too much of anything is a good thing… and this is especially true with chili powder!
Simply rub it directly onto the soles of your feet and the tops of your toes. Don’t go much higher, as it may cause irritation.

#4 Warm up your cold feet with cayenne pepper.

When you eat red pepper, its active ingredient, capsaicin, increases the circulation in your toes and fingers. When you put cayenne (or red pepper spices) into your shoes or socks, you’re doing the same thing… topically. For some people, the warming sensation happens immediately, for others, the heat gradually increases over time. (It also depends on how much you use.)
Turn your socks almost inside out, and sprinkle a teaspoon of cayenne pepper into the portion of the sock where your toes and the top of your foot will be. Then slip your foot inside. Make sure the pepper is distributed evenly across the bottom of each sock. And let the warming sensation begin!

Back