Winter Socks, Warm & Dry?

T

troutbert

I've tried various wool and wool blend socks.

The problem I have is that the socks get damp quickly from perspiration, so then they are no longer warm.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure exactly what type of wool you're using, but a merino wool sock will do wonders to manage your body's moisture. The socks that I'd suggest would be Smartwools's Hiking and Trekking socks; or if you really have cold feet, their Mountaineering socks are pretty impossible to beat.

Do you wear just one layer of wool socks? You could try adding liner socks or two layers of wool socks. What I do currently is wear an Alpaca wool sock against my feet and the Simms Exstreem wading socks over those. This helps keeps the perspiration from the rest of the body from accumulating at the feet.

What liner socks work best?

What material should they be made out of?

I like Smartwool. I would stick with liners that are more wool then nylon or silk. Those are more to prevent blisters.

I have the same problem I just sweat a lot. All the time. Just because. I wear Smartwool socks hunting and fishing in the winter, they keep my feet toasty, but they are damp most of the day from sweat.

Im really interested in seeing a solution as well.

I've tried a few things myself for feet that sweat at the mere thought of sweating.

The first thing I tried was a decent Merino Wool sock from L.L.Bean paired with a THIN polypropylene sock liner. The results were excellent in water & air temps in the 30's all day.

Then I discovered products from a Swedish company called Woolpower. Their products are excellent and are available from several retailers. I get my stuff from a company called Winter Outfitters in Mechanicsburg.

The first combo I tried was an 800 gram Arctic sock with the same polypropylene sock liner...

Even better than the Bean sock.

Just a year or so ago, I tried a thin Woolpower wool sock liner with the Arctic sock...

Excellent combo, better than the polypropylene sock liner!

Right now I am totally satisfied. Do my feet still sweat? Yes, but my feet don't get cold because in either case, the liner wicks away the perspiration from my foot.

Of course if you are wearing waders with Neoprene booties, you will not get any significant evaporation which helps a lot, but wool is ALWAYS better than cotton, even with Neoprene.

The other HUGH issue is making sure whatever you use doesn't make your footwear tight. In other words, you need circulation to your toes. If you can barely get your foot into your boots or wading shoes, your feet will get cold no matter what you do. It is for that reason I buy all of my wading shoes large enough to use with heavy socks.

FWIW - Winter Outfitters usually has a booth at the outdoor show in Harrisburg if you go.

I use a thick pair of wool socks. As long as I keep moving my toes usually stay warm enough. But there are times when I think about getting something like this just to try heated soles. Anyone use anything like this? I like there's a remote so you can adjust the heat or just turn it off.

Berks wrote:
I use a thick pair of wool socks. As long as I keep moving my toes usually stay warm enough. But there are times when I think about getting something like this just to try heated soles. Anyone use anything like this? I like there's a remote so you can adjust the heat or just turn it off.

Don't know, some reviews great, some are terrible. If anyone here has used them to fish in it would be great to see if they are worth it. That said I love winter fishing and my feet are normally comfortable. The only time I have an issue is when water temps are below 35 or so and I'm staying in one spot for an extended time. When this happens I will start moving around a little bit and that does the trick. I use the orvis heavyweight wading socks and will put on a second pair when water temps go below 40.

probably not the most cost effective solution but why not get boot foot waders for winter time use? As long as you aren't doing a ton of hiking and not going to fish muddy/mucky areas it's tough to beat the comfort and foot warmth of boot foot waders in cold water. When I first felt the difference in feet warmth between boot foot and stocking foot waders I couldn't believe it. Given the often sizable monetary (and time) investment many make in the sport, spending an extra couple of hundred bucks for certain comfort seems like a small price to pay.

I use polypropylene sock liners - got mine from cabelas - inside of thick wool socks. And they work pretty well for me - can't seem to recall my feet getting soaked from sweat.

^ this is gold!

ryc72 wrote:
probably not the most cost effective solution but why not get boot foot waders for winter time use?

Decent solution, but doesnt solve the issue of sweaty feet doing other winter activities like hunting, skiing, hiking, ect.

I pulled the trigger on a pair of Terramar sock liner on Amazon. With prime, Ill have them Friday and Ill be able to report back after hunting all day Saturday

I use the Costco (Kirkland) wool socks, they are cheep and work great. One thing to be conscious of is the amount of room in the bootie of your waders. You need a little room in there for a layer of warm insulating air to surround your foot. If your socks are too thick or you have too many layers, you lose that layer of insulating air and your feet will freeze whether or not you sweat. That could be your problem.

I generally wear the thin poly socks with heavy wool over for my layering. I also spray my feet with antiperspirant prior to leaving the house. This keeps the sweat down and helps.

lots of baby/corn starch powder on the foot and in the socks to help with the sweating???

I always had a problem with liner socks falling down and bunching up in my feet. When hunting they always ended up almost coming completely off of my feet leaving me very uncomfortable.

I've used antiperspirant on the soles and instep to keep my feet dry while skiing. just make sure you mark the stick you use to avoid cross-contamination:)

I have used smart wool liners and wool socks and i am able to stay warm. On really cold days I will use the stick on toe warmers and they work nice. I get cold feet hunting due to inactivity not wet feet. I sweat a lot but the wool keeps my feet warm.

nomad_archer wrote:
I have used smart wool liners and wool socks and i am able to stay warm. On really cold days I will use the stick on toe warmers and they work nice. I get cold feet hunting due to inactivity not wet feet. I sweat a lot but the wool keeps my feet warm.

I've always heard foot/toe warmers won't work in waders due to lack of air movement, any thoughts?

Back