winter reading ?

geebee

geebee

there's nothing like curling up with a good book on a winters night imho, so i wondered what people's favourite Trout fly fishing book was to re read each winter ?

Thanks

Mark.

One of my favorite fishing books is The Vanishing Trout by Charles Lose. The best book on the history of wild trout fishing in Pa that I've come across. Make's you want to go back in time.

Days on the water was good
Read all the Gierach books, they were good.

Although it's information is quite outdated, I still really enjoy reading Vince Marinaro's " A Modern Dry Fly Code" from time to time.
The author's style of writing is so captivating IMO, that it is still a great read - 60+ years after it's first publication now

I will be reading The Vanishing Trout, based on seeing it listed here and then turning up a handful of reviews on the site here after further research. Picked up a first edition copy off Abebooks the other night.

Other candidates for a re-read this year:
Night Fishing for Trout - Jim Bashline
Taking Larger Trout - Lawrence Koller
Limestone Legends (FlyFishers' Club of Harrisburg, an interesting anthology of articles, stories, and the like)

Currently re-reading:
Fishing Small Streams with a Fly-Rod - Charles Meck

Reading copies of PA Angler, which PFBC has made available online, for all years published. Interesting to see how the ideas have changed over the years; one blurb I recently read talked about a WCO spotting a watersnake out in February; then the WCO killed the watersnake and took it back to his office to prove the snake was out in February.

Report of the Fish Commissioners of the State of Pennsylvania - legislative report prepared from the 1880's through the early 1900's, which contains all kinds of interesting historical fish data and observations (sort of like a precursor to early versions of PA Angler, with a bit more bureaucracy). Has nice color artwork of fish in some editions (attributed to Denton) and I've been collecting them and reading some as I have time.

some interesting suggestions.

i really liked Tom Rosenbauer's - fly fishing small streams.

i'm currently reading Theodore Gordon on Trout. the guy was waaay ahead of his time...

i wonder what he would think of our fishing now - a 2lber was a huge fish in those days. not for the upper Delaware and some creeks now huh ?

Ok, technically this is kinda connected to fishing. Spiller's Grouse feathers is a good read next to the fire. You read about grouse hunting, go out shoot a grouse, skin & pin it, use said grouse feathers to make fly, go to stream & catch trout. ;-) That's not too much of a stretch is it?

"Trout" by Ray Bergman

I read some of Charlie Fox's books years ago and enjoyed them. Time for a re-read.

I noticed that there are copies of his "Rising Trout" for sale on Alibris.com for 99 cents!

i just won one on ebay for $10 ;-)

i look foward to reading it. thanks for the recommendation.

still looking for 'vanishing trout'

Back