Winter Fishing

beadhead

beadhead

Looking at hitting some streams over Christmas Vacation. Weather and water flow depending, what are some good waters to explore? Live in Eastern Ohio. I don't mind the 3hr drive to State College if thats the best options. Don't feel like combat fishing for Steelhead.

beadhead wrote:
Looking at hitting some streams over Christmas Vacation. Weather and water flow depending, what are some good waters to explore? Live in Eastern Ohio. I don't mind the 3hr drive to State College if thats the best options.

This would be your best bet - the limestone belt in center state - for winter trout fishing, especially if temps remain as cold they've been lately.

Dave_W wrote:
beadhead wrote:
Looking at hitting some streams over Christmas Vacation. Weather and water flow depending, what are some good waters to explore? Live in Eastern Ohio. I don't mind the 3hr drive to State College if thats the best options.

This would be your best bet - the limestone belt in center state - for winter trout fishing, especially if temps remain as cold they've been lately.

^ Good advice. I assume you're not commuting back and forth to Ohio, so I would book a motel or B&B in or around State College.

Check with the local shops > Flyfishers Paradise and/or TCO - State College on conditions, flies to use, etc.

Spring Creek is a default for fishing the area in the winter. With some decent weather and water conditions, you can have some fun. Check out the video below.

Dress warm and have a good time!

MY SUGGESTION: DON'T GET HUNG UP IN STATE COLLEGE. PUT YOURSELF IN THE HUB. MILESBURG OR LAMAR. WOULD THINK HOTEL MORE REASONABLE. STAYING IN THE HUB MEANS 3 THINGS. FISHING CREEK, LAMAR. BALD EAGLE CREEK, MILESBURG, SPRING CREEK , BELLFONTE. FISHING CREEK HAS A FLY ONLY SECTION KNOWN AS THE NARROWS. VERY NICE. AXE FACTORY DAM MORE TOWARD LOCK HAVEN. VERY NICE. SPRING VERY NICE. SOMETIMES TROUT ARE VERY PICKY. NOW, LET'S TALK BALD EAGLE. SPRING CREEK DUMPS INTO BALD EAGLE AT MILESBURG. RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM MINI MARKET YOU CAN PARK. THIS IS THE BRIDGE HOLE. GO OVER BRIDGE AND MAKE FIRST RIGHT. MAYBE 1/4 MILE. ON THIS ROAD THERE IS WHAT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL WATER OR POWER PLANT ON RIGHT. STOP HERE. BIG ONE'S. BACK AT THE MINI MARKET TAKE A LEFT GOING TOWARDS LOCK HAVEN. ABOUT 1 MILE DOWN THIS RD. ON LEFT. A SMALL BUILDING WAY OUT IN THE FIELD BY THE STREAM. STOP HERE. YOU HAVE TO PARK ON THE RD. NO VEHICLES PERMITTED TO THE WATER PLANT. FISH UP THE HOLE AT WATER PLANT A WAYS. STOP. GET BACK TO FIELD. HEAD DOWNSTREAM BACK TO PLANT. WALK BACK IN AND FISH THE NEXT 3 HOLES DOWN. FISH THE GREAT HOLE WHERE THE STREAM TURNS A LITTLE. NEXT STOP IS THE HOLE UNDER THE RT 80 BRIDGE. PASS THE BRIDGE. THERE IS A PLACE TO PARK. TRY TO FIND A WAY TO THE BRIDGE. BEST FISHING ON OTHER SIDE. BIG ONE'S. LAST IS BRIDGE AT WHAT I CALL, GOVENNERS MANSION. OLD COAL YARD DISPLAY. STOP AT BRIDGE AND FISH LONG HOLE UNDER BRIDGE DOWNSTREAM A WAYS. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT. FISHED MOST OF FISHING CREEK, LOTS A TIME AGO ON SPRING. BUT ALWAYS SEEM TO PREFER BALD EAGLE, YOU'LL PROBABLY HAVE THE STREAM TO YOURSELF. HOPE YOUR BRINGING A FISHING FRIEND ALONG. A FISHING TIME OF A LIFETIME

Nice streams and good fishing in central PA, enjoy!

Good video.

Don't know why they have to handle the fish so much in 1 degree weather, since they're unhooked and in the net, just dump them out.

Back