Winter fishing

+1

acristickid wrote:
Seems like a stupid idea. -5 to 10 degrees. Yea, still stupid.

You sound like my wife...but yea it's stupid. It was a nice afternoon, air temps touched 30, sun was out, glad I went.

If we would have had air temps reaching 30 here yesterday, I would have gone fishing too. Only reached upper teens here.

It's amazing how much fun it is to pop the ice out of the eyelets every other cast or so. :) Or to drop your flyrod in the water and find out that the reel is frozen shut and you have all this line out.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
It's amazing how much fun it is to pop the ice out of the eyelets every other cast or so. :) Or to drop your flyrod in the water and find out that the reel is frozen shut and you have all this line out.

Look on the bright side - Instant-Tenkara, without having to buy another rod...

by 724flyfishing on 2018/1/7 8:01:42 I enjoy winter time fishing but I draw the line around 30 or so. Everything is iced up around here and probably will be for a while even after it warms up. I would have to drive to the Yough outflow to find open water.

I just returned from 3 months fishing in Patagonia and was thinking about hitting the Yough this week. Any tips on where would be a good place to start in this weather?

The unfrozen section of the river.

Back