Winter fishing

NewSal

NewSal

Anyone do any fishing during this cold spell?

Whats your personal temperature cut off point?

There's a couple reports from this week and trout were caught....

I'll fish in cold weather, but haven't been out in this current cold snap.

Don't have a specific cut-off, but temps below about 20 deg F are discouraging for me. Like many of you, my tolerance for cold weather has diminished as I've gotten older.

Nevertheless, I hope to get out and do some fishing in the next few days and things aren't likely to be warmed up much.

Dave_W wrote:

Don't have a specific cut-off, but temps below about 20 deg F are discouraging for me. Like many of you, my tolerance for cold weather has diminished as I've gotten older.

Nevertheless, I hope to get out and do some fishing in the next few days and things aren't likely to be warmed up much.

I dont much care for anything under 32, ill go out in the 20s though. Below 20 - no thanks, too much trouble with frozen lines

If my guides freeze, I'm done. If they aren't freezing and there is open water, I don't care how cold it is. Winter fishing is peaceful.

NewSal wrote:
Dave_W wrote:

I dont much care for anything under 32, ill go out in the 20s though. Below 20 - no thanks, too much trouble with frozen lines

Agreed ^

With all the wicking underlayers, high tech insulation and breathable waterproof, windproof outerwear, one can dress well enough to brave the cold, but the real issue is the effect on your fishing tackle.

You end up Tenkara fishing pretty much...

Fishing in really cold weather gives a true meaning to the word "frozen rope"...

afishinado wrote:
NewSal wrote:
Dave_W wrote:

Agreed ^

With all the wicking underlayers, high tech insulation and breathable waterproof, windproof outerwear, one can dress well enough to brave the cold, but the real issue is the effect on your fishing tackle.

You end up Tenkara fishing pretty much...

Fishing in really cold weather gives a true meaning to the word "frozen rope"...

Exactly right

I did order my new 5-year fishing license today.. That's a start.. Lol

Was out fishing today.

Don't be like me: Remember to bring a handwarmer.

Don't know when I will make it out this year for the first time. No specific temp cutoff for myself, but I'm not an ice fisherman, so I need some open flowing water to consider it fishing and worthwile to go out.

One positive note, the days are getting longer. It's light out a bit later and a bit earlier.

I will fish in these temps. The key is to get close to the fish and chill out for ten minutes. That way your guides don’t ice up as frequently due to a shorter presentation/ cast.

Coldest so far has been 10*. I was looking at going out tomorrow but with a high of 15* and 25-35 mph winds with gusts over 40mph. No thanks nymphing in high winds is a pain.

I did spring for some fishing gloves so that as long as the wind isn't killer I suspect I will be fishing as much as I can all winter long. The cold doesn't much bother me but the wind takes all the fun out of it.

This is a story to read about a guy winter fishing that almost lost his life.

The weather is precited to "break" next week (if you consider "breaking" to be temps finally rising to above freezing).

Be careful out there, and fish with a partner, if you can.

Scary.

Too cold for me right now. I'll fish down to freezing or so if the fever sets in, but generally prefer things above 40.

Going to work, nonetheless fishing, is uncomfortable, bordering on painful in these temps. Any warm-up is welcome at this point.

Wow! That's some story. Cautionary indeed. No amount of passion for fly fishing is worth risking our lives. It doesn't have to be a big river and an ice floe. A broken leg in a remote location (and many other scenarios) are also life-threatening.

Besides, it's fly tying season!

"It's colder than Mars out there," is no longer just an expression.

Hitting it tomorrow with the "warmer weather ", will be sure to post a report.

Seems like a stupid idea. -5 to 10 degrees. Yea, still stupid.

I enjoy winter time fishing but I draw the line around 30 or so. Everything is iced up around here and probably will be for a while even after it warms up. I would have to drive to the Yough outflow to find open water.

It's 8:26 on a Saturday morning and the air temp is -2F.

What a great day for flyfishing! ;-)

I won't fly fish under 30 degrees. and when it gets this cold the gills of fish freeze in seconds

Back