Winter Fishing ..

where i fish, which has lots of midges and small blue wing olives, I have had good success going big. like size 10 or even 8 nymphs. especially caddis imitations and like Gaeron said, large woolley bugger type fly's in black. This probably depends on the stream, but I'm betting it works on quite a few places. And then of course you will find days they are rising to size 46 midges, and then I just go home.

Alot of Limestone influence streams are subject to temperature change. Some of the shorter streams with the larger spring sources are less subject to temp change in winter. Where the water temp does dip considerably trout are more likely to move to larger food forms. I have witnessed large trout come out of no where off the bottom chomping desperately behind an already slowly fished streamer, not able to catch it, only to take it once completely stopped, just like an old man getting up from the recliner. I look at it this way. A trout may hold in an almost dormant state for some time. Would you get up from a comfortable place to chase down a potato chip or be more likely to get up for a steak. On Freestone streams go big in winter.

STENO QUOTE: Would you get up from a comfortable place to chase down a potato chip or be more likely to get up for a steak.

If there was some salsa for the potato chip I would. Presentation can be the key.

Anyone can make a steak look good, just don't over do it and if you do, serve it in Low light.
Besides my Salsa is from New York City.

Should I say, "Get a fly line"!

PennyPack, I don't understand "get a fly line". Please explain, if you are trying to drive me nuts. It's working, but your a little late.

It goes with the Salsa from NY City...Get a rope! Commercial

Whew, blew that one by me. Doesn't take much. I read in another thread that you blew out both Achilles. Heal up man good weather is comin Hope it goes quick for you. You got me thinking. We are fly fisherman or Trout culinary artists and caterers.

Steno: Sent you a PM

Back