Winter edition of Fly Tyer magazine

daman1277

daman1277

Has anybody read this yet. I know it has been out for a month or so. On page 70 there is an article about Aaron Jasper going to Austria to fish with Roman Moser. He showed him and had him fish 14 fly patterns that consistently catch fish in Austria. Well there is one called "The Pinkie" he brought them back and fished pinkie in the Little Lehigh and caught a handful of brown trout on.

yeah, great article.

the Tyrol and Bavaria are two places i'd love to fish for natives, slovenia too.

i'd also like to see the 'lost world' forests of carpathia and their unfished limestone lakes and streams :

lostworld2_cropped_large.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

that's the Apuseni national park...

i'm sure many of the nymphs would work there that work here and vice versa

You happen to have a photo of said "pinkie"?

All a pinkie is a full pink woolly bugger with a hot pink bead.

its been used by a few inner circle people on the LL for a few years now. seems hot pink (bubblegum) is a good color on lime stone streams. I saw it being used used there before I moved (8 years ago). same for the pink worm. i think it has something to do with the chemical make up of lime stoners. fish see different in those waters maybe.

You know GeeBee I can see myself fishing there. :-D

I've seen a pink fly work like magic at times on the streams here in Pa , a pink Matuka a friend was fishing with , in the middle of winter , although it was a little warm and rainy was bringing him fish the whole way accross the stream , on Clear Shade creek in Somerset county , native brookies and wild browns on almost every cast , i could not believe it , normally at this time of year you have to be pretty close and slow with your fly , these fish were coming 20'.

sandfly wrote:

same for the pink worm.

People have been using pink worm, i.e. pink San Juan worm patterns on Spring Creek, since at least the late 1980s, maybe earlier. It's very effective and probably imitates certain kinds of aquatic worms, and maybe midge larvae.

It's hard to imagine what a pink Wooly Bugger might imitate though.

A lot of streams have aquatic worms and they can be pinkish colored... I really should fish them more often.

most i have seen in freestones are a brownish in color where as the limestones do have a pinkish hue to them. purple works at times on freestones too.

Some of my most productive patterns are either blue, pink, or chatreuse.

lv2nymph wrote:
You know GeeBee I can see myself fishing there. :-D

yup. a RU dude on the flyfishing forums runs trips there.

oddly its also one of the few places in Europe where you can catch wild brookies - they were stocked way back.

i think i'm gonna do a weeks camping trip there in 2015 - about a third of the cost of labrador, nipigon etc

Austria is more bows and browns from what i've seen - the Isar river in Badtolz / lenggries just beautiful :

6150641707_2bb93d4a27_z.jpg

you can buy a license and permit in the fishing store in Badtolz i believe.

i've been there a lot as my best friend lives in the town, i've swam and paddled it but never fished.

the Isar runs from the Tyrol mountains to the danube.

i mention this because its 2 hours from munich which is a direct flight from Philly ;-)

Mark

a quick search on goggle found this :

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/german-grayling-isar-and-danube-oct-2005.17396/

the guide was from alpineangler de

a chance to catch grayling - and easier to get to than alaska or Canada.

and FYI grayling LOVE pink czech nypmhs/scuds ;-)

the winter edition of American Angler has a six page article on the trip too - it has Roman Mosers contact details too.

no mention of the pinkie fly, but i am sure if you email Roman he'd give you the recipe.

as to the fly - I am pretty sure that as they were fishing for grayling and trout that it was a pink weighted gammarus shrimp fly.

grayling love em

Back