Winter Black StoneFly Nymphs....your input, please.

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
Looking to upgrade my game with my next batch of Winter Black Stone Fly nymphs.
Closest in my box now, is a dwindling supply of #18 Flashback Pheasant Tails.
Requesting detailed suggestions ( size, flash, beads, color) for my next batch to tie.
These r all nymphs ( no adult/dries, yet )
Fishing primarily, SCPA , Carlisle , up thru State College area.
Thank you.!

I’ve had good results with this pattern

^ Thats the one I use, generally speaking. If upgrading your game means quick, simple, easy ties that consistently catches fish then this is for you. I‘m not a stickler on using exact material so I just use whatever rubber I have around Like silli rubber or spanflex. Same with the body material. Sometimes I use d-rib, stretch tube or even goose biots. I prefer the d-rib but it doesn’t really matter.

Tiny Winter Black stoneflies aka snowflies are actually brown as nymphs......

Could also be seeing members of the family Taeniopterigydae mixed in with or independent of Capniidae representatives. They are both considered to be winter stoneflies.

Could also be seeing members of the family Taeniopterigydae mixed in with or independent of Capniidae representatives. They are both considered to be winter stoneflies.
^ Could be, but they are brown too as nymphs >

Long and short of it, fishing or more precisely catching is tough for either in my experience. In other words anglers get more excited about them than the trout.

Just try fishing a small pheasant tail and see what happens.

Last edited:
Could be, but they are brown too as nymphs >
Right you are. I only included that info for group education…that there are two Plecopteran families at play now. In fact, other than knowing that at the outset regarding Taeniopterigyds, I was not aware that the others were Capniids and would not have thought as much given the Jordan’s summer temps and less than stellar water quality. It’s no mountain freestoner. Apparently, specialized behavioral ecology described for Capniids (and I’d bet also applies to Taeniterigyds) allows these pollution intolerant forms to survive in that environment. The old dog is still learning new tricks.

Last edited:
Right you are. I only included that info for group education…that there are two Plecopteran families at play now. In fact, other than knowing that at the outset regarding Taeniopterigyds, I was not aware that the others were Capniids and would not have thought as much given the Jordan’s summer temps and less than stellar water quality. It’s no mountain freestoner. Apparently, specialized behavioral ecology allows these pollution intolerant forms to survive in that environment.
Not sure what you are seeing on Jordan.

I just tried to answer the OP's question on winter stonefly patterns to tie.

He stated in the OP "Fishing primarily, SCPA , Carlisle , up thru State College area."

Back