Winston Air 2 or Pure 9' #5

wbranch

wbranch

I was wondering if any members, local to York, may have a Winston Air 2 or Pure in 9' #5 I could look at and cast before I buy one?

I have a couple 9’ Winston Airs in 4 and a 5 wts. I love them for dry fly or wet fly fishing, because they are soft and slower casting than many of today’s rocket casting machines - they’re slow just like me! I think the Air2 would have a bit more backbone than the Air and and would be a better all around performing rod from what I’ve read, but I haven’t yet tried one myself although I’d like to.

Have you checked with TCO? They might be able to get one or both of those rods for you to cast if they don’t have them in stock at one of their stores.

Thanks for the Winston rod info. Actually after I made my post I thought of TCO up in Boiling Springs. Only about a 40 minute drive. I'll give them a call and see if they have any I could cast.

Have you ever cast an Orvis Recon? If you have would you say the Pure is about the same flex?

I don’t recall if I ever cast an Orvis Recon or a Winston Pure, although I may have.

Several years ago, one of the guys at TCO in Reading brought in a number of rods for me to try out, including an Orvis model or 2 (I don’t recall which ones), a Loomis Asquith, something from Sage, and a Winston Air. I liked the Winston Air best, and ended up buying the two of them that I mentioned earlier.

John

Back